Why Does The Brake Light Stays On? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 28937
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
robertlucent has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hi, there:

I have a Taurus LX 2002. Ever since I have the car, the brake light has been on even though I released the hand brake. Last year, the brake light stayed on during the first 20 mintes of driving before it went off. (At the time of brake light turning off, the traction control light blinked once). But this year, the brake light always stayed on, and the ABS didn't work at all. I tried to pull out the computer code, but there was no communication with the ABS system. I guess the ABS system was disabled, because when I turned on the ignition key, the ABS light doesn't show up at all.

So could anybody let me what could be the problem and know how to reactivate the ABS system?

Thanks
Robert
robertlucent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 4131
millermagic has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to millermagic

The light staying on is probably a faulty BOO (brake on off) switch. There was a recall for it.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 19827
Drives: 2000 DOHC
retiredtaurus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (robertlucent @ May 20 2010, 12:13 PM)
Quote:
Hi, there:

I have a Taurus LX 2002. Ever since I have the car, the brake light has been on even though I released the hand brake. Last year, the brake light stayed on during the first 20 mintes of driving before it went off. (At the time of brake light turning off, the traction control light blinked once). But this year, the brake light always stayed on, and the ABS didn't work at all. I tried to pull out the computer code, but there was no communication with the ABS system. I guess the ABS system was disabled, because when I turned on the ignition key, the ABS light doesn't show up at all.

So could anybody let me what could be the problem and know how to reactivate the ABS system?

Thanks
Robert[/b]
I had the exact same problem. After months of denial I had to replace the electronic side of the ABS unit.
Pulled one from the junk yard with TCS, swapped them out and it has worked perfectly since.
See my posts by searching ABS or my my posts under my name "retiredtaurus"

Good luck
retiredtaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Don't Be Stupid

Member Number: 4508
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2010 SEL 2000 Tec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
00tec-satx is on a distinguished road

#1: Check your brake fluid
#2: Check the pin switch at the top of the parking brake, maybe it's stuck or dirty
#3: Maybe your car didn't come with ABS

00tec-satx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 28937
robertlucent has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thanks a lot for your comments. My car does have ABS, and the brake fluid is full. Even though I unplug the cable from the sensor of the hand brake, the light remains on. So the last bet I have it to see whether the electronics of ABS goes wrong. I will check it tomorrow.

Rob
robertlucent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 28122
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1994 Taurus Police Package, 3.8L Essex, AX4S
sethv has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to sethv Send a message via MSN to sethv Send a message via Yahoo to sethv

I don't know if this could be relevant, but on my '95, the brake light will randomly come on. What I do, is set the emergency brake, and release it. Could be something simple.

Good luck

Current 1994 Ford Taurus "Police Package" - 3.8L Essex. Bone stock. For now.
Retired 1995 Ford Taurus GL - 3.0L Vulcan. Bone stock
sethv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
mwt
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 1952
mwt is an unknown quantity at this point

Unplug the BOO switch and see if it goes off.

They had a recall on the 2000 models. I don't remember if it included the 2001 models.

It happened to me in Dumas Tx. I was staying across the street from the Ford Dealership. Had to jump start the car and take it over there.
I knew about the problem because of this forum. The Dealer didn't have any idea what I was talking about but looked it up and had the recall kit in stock.

Mike

If I had known there was going to be a test I would have studied

94gl Vulcan totalled 4-01-04
99 LX FFV-purchased 4-17-04 totalled 5-17-06 untotalled on 9-2-07 and back on the road
New Paint coming soon
2000 SES Duratec Garage
2000 SEL Duratec this thing has everything but a spoiler
mwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 28160
Olgoat7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Agree with retiredtaurus, your module is probably bad. Have the same problem(and he helped me out tremendously). Your ABS light won't come on because it is burnt out. I went through the same thing and replaced the ABS light, re-established communication with the ABS system, there was a short and the light quickly burnt out again, losing communication and leaving just the brake warning light illuminated. ABS inoperative.

Unfortunately I haven't fixed it yet since I can't find a used module w/traction control around here. The brake light should go off if you unplug at the master cylinder. This will rule out the BOO switch.
Olgoat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Will someone who ends up doing the repair...would you mind holding on to the faulty module? If so I will be happy to pay shipping for it. I want to crack the case open and see if there is something repairable on it. I have read on Volvo and BMW forums how they have a similar issue if the vehicle features ABS w/traction control or stability control system. They are able to repair it with some solder or something...

-True Blue MC 2003 Lincoln Town Car | V8 SOHC/4R70W | 55K
-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 40544
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2001 Taurus SEL 3.0 DOHC
threetaurusfamily is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Found the problem!

I had the same problem. 2001 Taurus SEL. Brake light would not go off, even when parking brake was released.

We did a number of things to the car before we discovered the real problem: THE ABS MODULE!!!!!

First, we swapped out the brake fluid level sensor (25 bucks from Ford dealership), that did not work. Then we changed out the master cylinder and bled the brakes and that did not work.

Finally, my dear father found a couple of postings online that said that the brake light will stay on if the ABS module fails. When my husband finally told us that the ABS wasn't working and we noticed that the ABS and traction control were not going through the start-up self-check, it was quite apparent what the problem was.

We sent the module to a module rebuild place in Idaho and for $160 we got a rebuild on our module. The brake light went off and the ABS works. The self-check on all systems is working.

The dealership wanted $1300 to do this. It cost us $200 including shipping and about 4 hours of labor that we performed ourselves. And, you can drive the car without the ABS module in place - the hydraulic brakes work just fine! So, no rental needed. Just make sure you cover the electrical connectors so they don't get wet.
threetaurusfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement