Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

How to adjust e-brake pedal

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  shoebear 
#1 ·
My e-brake does not have a separate release handle like older Fords I've owned. Rather, I press once all the way down to set, again to release.

Lately however, when I set the e-brake, the pedal won't lock down but comes right back up. I've found I can still set it by pushing the pedal part way down, though. When set this way, it still holds the car. Also, we use the e-brake regularly, as we usually park it on a 10% grade. So it looks to me like this may be a pedal issue rather than a issue with the brakes themselves.

I've searched the forum for an answer, and I don't see this specific question addressed. Can anyone give me insight on how to restore it to its former operation (all the way down to set)? Is this a pedal adjustment or something more involved?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

#2 · (Edited)
It may be releasing when pushing it all the way down? Might try a few clicks or 1/2 way down if it holds the car. My Impalas are the same setup. No release handle/pull. Push on/push off. Sometimes if I depress too far/hard, pedal will pop back up. You may have a turnbuckle adjuster on 1 or both sides of the car. Dunno if there's any adj. behind the pedal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.