Sway bars for 2015 Taurus AWD SEL possibly 2013+ - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Sway bars for 2015 Taurus AWD SEL possibly 2013+

Hi all,

I picked up my 2015 AWD SEL back in April and found it to have a considerable amount of body roll. I will only be modding this car asethically but the roll had to go. Not seeing any options available, I decided to pour over the Taurus suspension part diagrams in August and compared the bushings, endlinks and bars. The HD package represents the police interceptor package as many of you know. The SEL AWD uses the same endlinks as the interceptor AWD. What I did was find the part numbers for the HD package and sources the bars. If you read Ford's press release on the interceptor, it says they have more rigid sway bars...which is what I suspected from the start. I snagged them for $110 for the matching front and rear pair back in August. from a Turbo Interceptor off eBay. The rear bar is considerably thicker and comes with the bushings and brackets mounted to the bar. The endlinks are the same part number so I did not need them.

The front bar requires different bushings and I will post all part numbers. So far, I installed the rear. You need to lower the exhaust from the two muffler isolators and from the last mid pipe isolater to remove the sway bar. Very simple job. I just backed my car on ramps.

The difference is incredible with just the rear interceptor bar. I haven't seen anyone do this yet. It has a slightly firmer ride over bumps and the majority of the roll is gone. I can't wait to install the front bar later this weekend. The car is more enjoyable to drive and has a nice confidence that was lacking previously. I'm big on oem modding so that's why I decided to investigate this.

Rear bar: BB5Z5A772AA ($84.58 from Tasca)
Front bar: AA5Z5482CC ($112.80 from Tasca)
Front bar bushings (need 2): DG1Z5484AA ($2.58 ea from Tasca)

I hope this helps people out. I'll report back once I get the front installed. Like I said before, deals are out there on eBay. My bars weren't new though so I'll be painting the rear bar bracket next spring.
sheila and jmr061 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 02:50 AM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

I've got a 2014 SEL AWD and I don't find it suffers from excessive body roll at all but I must say I find the idea of stiffer sway bars appealing as I have a nice road to work that allows for some aggressive cornering.

Keep us posted!

2014 3.5 SEL AWD in Tuxedo Black Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 07:34 AM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Nicely done!!!

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of the betterment of our neighborhoods.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Alright so I looked at the front bar today. It looks to be the same size, but I didn't put my digital caliper on it. It looks tough to get too as well. Laying on my back on ramps, not going to mess with the front. I bet a great combo would be the rear interceptor bar with the Sho struts or the police spec ones. At only 8k miles and now a literal 1 mile commute to work I won't be screwing with that any time soon.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 08:16 PM

Sway bars

I have a new 2015 AWD SEL and played on some cloverleaf ramps to see how it felt. Having had an old modded 914 and a fairly new modded VWgti, I clearly found that a) it has significant understeer and b) body roll. The immediate remedy is the thicker rear bar but I imagine that a thicker front bar would take less stress off of the back one and ideally both should be done. The prices seem very reasonable however. Oh I wish coilovers would be available! Thank you for sharing the part numbers!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 09:24 PM

It will be interesting to see how it responds once you balance it out with the thicker front. By stiffening the and flattening the back, the car will definitely tend towards oversteer since more weight is transferred to the outside tire causing more lateral slip, which is fine. That's how you get the oversteer. Interestingly though is since the outside front will still collapse more when cornering the car will teeter more on the outside rear and inside front and will induce more inside rear wheel lift under spirited conditions.

If you want to keep the oversteer, you might want to just get the tighter front end sway bar bushings. You'll still get the bend but slightly less and the response will be quicker.

Also, some companies make spring loaded end links that you can tighten or loosen to adjust the stiffness in either end. They are quite effective but I don't know if you can get them for our vehicles. If not, I'm sure they can be fabricated up.

I'm a big fan of fat sway bars and soft shocks and springs. You want the flatness but you also want compliance to overcome bumps which stiff shocks and springs don't help at all. The only reason you'd want stiffer springs is if you have reduced travel due to lowering, then it's a necessity.

Of course there's no free lunch. Fat sway bars have a tendency to make an independent suspension much less so since they work by tying the 2 sides of the suspension together to some extent.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

I figured I'd bump this. Really enjoying the added cornering ability of the PI rear Sway bar. As stated before, the front appears to be so close in size so I left it alone. Plus it's not that easy to get to. When I do shocks down the road, I'll likely go for the performance pack springs and dampers. The turbo motor is nice, but I'd rather have the look, similar handling, mileage etc without all that power. I just don't need it and it wasn't in my budget.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 05:54 PM

Chapter: Midwest

I read that the Performance Package includes a thinner front sway bar for a more neutral/balanced handling characteristic during turn-in. My stock SHO front bar is 29mm in diameter (Ford's OEM sway bars all generally have the diameter written on a label/tag (Diameter symbol followed by a number like 29.0 for 29mm). I can't find the measurement for the Performance Package bar, but throwing on a thicker rear anti-sway bar without changing the front is always an easy way to reduce understeer. I threw on a much bigger rear bar on my Mustang GT without touching the front, and it is still manageable on wet roads.

I'll keep this in my notes to use the Police Interceptor rear bar. Do you happen to have a measurement of the diameter? I noticed my stock rear bar doesn't have the measurement, or its on the tag but is facing the underbody of the car.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

I'll grab some measurements for you this weekend. What is the size of your rear bar? I don't think the front was 29 but I have a digital caliper so I'll measure both. I think the rear was 27. I'm happy with the way it handles, would imagine a Sho would be better but this was a heck of an improvement over stock.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 01:52 PM

Chapter: Midwest

My non-PP SHO rear bar measured about 22.5mm, very thin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page