Creaky, squeaky brake pedal (even sitting still)...help me lube it? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 51601
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2008 Taurus Lmtd
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
starquestbd22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Creaky, squeaky brake pedal (even sitting still)...help me lube it?

Hi all. This is my first post here. I am an avid forum follower but haven't really had a reason to sign up here because we have had very few problems out of my wife's 2008 Taurus Limited and she won't let me modify it, lol.

What it's doing:
So a problem that we are having and have had for several months now is a creaky brake pedal. The brakes are in great shape and work perfect but there is a slow, loud creaking sound when you slowly push the brakes, especially into the last bit of pedal travel. The sound follows the movement of the pedal....push it slow, you get a slow creak. Push it a little faster and the creak gets a little faster. I'm pretty certain it's coming from outside the car so it isn't going to be the brake pedal itself.

What the dealer said:
I took it to the dealer to let them track the noise and lube whatever it is and they didn't fix it. The service guy said it he thought it was coming from both calipers and recommended that I have the rotors machined and grease the slide pins. The noise occurs regardless of whether the car is moving and the brakes work fine so I don't see any benefit in machining the rotors. They apparently did not see fit to grease the slide pins but instead told me to do it.

What I need help with:
So I am going to give it my best shot. Just looking for recommendations.
* Does this sound like the pins are the likely culprit?
* What type of lube should I use? I have read that I should use a lithium based lube and I also read that an anti-seize compound works well.
* And most importantly, any special tips on what I have to remove and how-to in order to inspect and grease the pins?

Thanks ahead of time!
starquestbd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 32379
Chapter: Eastern Canada
Drives: 2002 Taurus SE 3.0 Vulcan
JIMMER will become famous soon enough

Did they check out the master cylinder?

2002 TAURUS SE - 3.0L VULCAN - 5 SPEED
TORONTO, ONTARIO.

Ride of the Month - Sept. 2011 - coolfords.com
Ride of the Quarter - 1st Quarter 2012 - teamtos.ca
Car of the Month - July 2012 - TCCA
Car of the Year - 2012 - TCCA

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nbtyJTC9QU
JIMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Pins are easy to grease. Usually you just end up with a stuck caliper when the grease goes bye bye. Use cv joint grease, or some other high temperature grease. Just have to remove the caliper and then the caliper pins. Careful not to damage the brake like.

I also agree, have them check the master cylinder as well as the brake booster. My sable had this problem years ago (it's a 2000). I don't remember what the fix was. I've heard from others on this site that it was the master cylinder. I'm going to go through my service records later and see if I can find it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec

Last edited by Sam; 01-04-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

Member Number: 37681
Drives: 01 Sable Wagon Duratec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sousa632 has a brilliant futuresousa632 has a brilliant futuresousa632 has a brilliant future

First thing I would do is take the front calipers off and grease the slide pins. Wipe them clean, if they are rusty clean the rust off with some sandpaper/emry cloth then apply some anti-seize to them. The brakes in my Freestar did this till I had them replaced and made sure they greased it all up at the dealer(company pays for that car so it goes to a dealer for repairs).
Old 01-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 51601
Drives: 2008 Taurus Lmtd
starquestbd22 is an unknown quantity at this point

No, the dealer didn't check the master cylinder or anything else to my knowledge. He said that with it on the lift they could press the pedal and isolate the noise to the two front calipers.

What's kinda aggravating is he called me and said we think you need to turn the rotors and grease the caliper slide pins....would you like me to turn the rotors? For $112 and considering I do not think there is anything wrong with the rotors, I think not. He said, okay it's ready then. It was almost like he didn't want to mess with greasing the slide pins which I believe will fix the problem. I'm a semi-shadetree mechanic but I have never messed with the brakes on this car and I don't know if I even have the proper tools to do it.
starquestbd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement