My car just started by it's self! - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By zogthegreat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2011
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
My car just started by it's self!

Hi everyone!

OK, I'm sitting on my terrasse right now and my 2011 Taurus SEL just suddenly started up on it's own! I wasn't touching the keys and to my knowledge, this car doesn't have a remote starting system. The car kept on running until I pushed on the brake pedal, then it shut down. After, there was a blue LED flashing behind the rearview mirror on the windshield.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what just happened? More importantly, how can I prevent this in the future!

BTW, here's my VIN, in case it will help:

1FAHP2EW8BG1XXXXX

Thanks

zog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 09:19 PM

Chapter: Eastern Canada
Year: 1
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Garage
To prevent it egh, undo the battery cable until you get it figured out? Kinda a crappy solution

Ignition switch faulty?
Anything changed on the car recently?

Seems you might have remote start or some version of one maybe? Might be once you tried to use the car the security feature turned it off?

Weird, someone may come along that knows about this. Its an oddy!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 09:28 PM
Midwest Chapter Mod

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.5L EcoBoost V6

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bpd1151 Send a message via Skype™ to bpd1151
Maybe it's a hacker, lurking nearby, testing his ability to start your car remotely without your knowledge / authorization?

I've been hearing this is the next up and coming wave of how car thieves are plying their 'trade'.

The flashing blue light sounds awkward. Aftermarket starter perhaps?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by japakar View Post
To prevent it egh, undo the battery cable until you get it figured out? Kinda a crappy solution

Ignition switch faulty?
Anything changed on the car recently?

Seems you might have remote start or some version of one maybe? Might be once you tried to use the car the security feature turned it off?

Weird, someone may come along that knows about this. Its an oddy!
I just got the car last week. The ignition switch seems fine. I'm going to Ford to get some keys programed, (dealer tried to sell it to me with only 1 key! I made him put it in writing that he would pay for a spare.)

According to this:

1FAHP2EW8BG108132 Ford Taurus 2011 - VinDecoderz.com is a free VIN number lookup and vehicle history report provider

it doesn't have a factory remote start. I took a quick look under the dash and I didn't see anything that looks add-on/non OEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd1151 View Post
Maybe it's a hacker, lurking nearby, testing his ability to start your car remotely without your knowledge / authorization?

I've been hearing this is the next up and coming wave of how car thieves are plying their 'trade'.

The flashing blue light sounds awkward. Aftermarket starter perhaps?
I was thinking along the same lines, however, since I don't have the remote start feature, I'm not sure how they could do it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 10:05 AM
Devoted Member

Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Is the flashing blue light in the rearview mirror or in a box by it. Sounds like an aftermarket remote start.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 10:48 AM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Year: 2017

This sounds like an aftermarket remote start, and probably a cheap one at that.

I vaguely remember some of the crappier remote starts accidentally triggering after hearing a false start request on just the right frequency. My friend had an aftermarket system that would randomly restart her Rav 4 several times a day until it was properly repaired.

Somewhere in that car is an aftermarket start unit as I've never known a Ford vehicle to ever have a flashing blue light. Sounds like the location it is mounted is a great place for an antenna.

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of the betterment of our neighborhoods.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 01:01 PM
Devoted Member

Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
I'm going to agree that it's a badly installed remote start. The crappy one that was in my car did some goofy things. I remember one time I came back from a store to find my trunk wide open.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Ooookaaayyyyy, so the idiot of the year award goes to..... ME!

So I waited until morning and took a better look under my dash and I found the a aftermarket remote had been installed:

The installer did a really nice and clean job, I really had to dig to find it. The dealer had given me a remote fob with the key. I had tried it, but it didn't unlock the doors, so I figured the batteries were dead and put it in my pocket so that would remember to buy new ones. It seems that while I was sitting down, the fob moved in my pocket and triggered the remote start button, which seems to work, (but still not the door lock/unlock, trunk open buttons). I guess that for some reason, they never programed the other buttons, just the remote start.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, sorry for being so stupid!

zog
sheila likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Year: 2017

There are no stupid assessments, only too-easily discovered solutions. Glad you found the culprit.

thefranchise713

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of the betterment of our neighborhoods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page