Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Sync 3 upgrade kit

7K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  flexitis 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 ·
The conversion is very possible. But wow, what a cost of entry!

I'm in the wrong business for this.

That being said, we took delivery last week on a car equipped with Sync 3. It really is a remarkable system.

#4 ·
I am sure is wonderful, but at $2000 I'd rather not.

#5 ·
My opinion is its still experimental. No ones know how user updates will work for those vehicles that were not meant to have the system. Ford hasn't released any user updates for it yet so no testing can be done. You may end up with a unit that you can never update or it may work just fine. Only time and testing will tell. This hasn't stopped some from upgrading.

#6 ·
I wonder what the upgrade actually consists of. Is there any reprogramming involved? That kit makes it seem as if you simply order a new screen and module and swap them out and you are good to go. No mention of any other details.

I only wonder because in 2-3 years, as 2016 models hit the streets and are unfortunately wrecked, parts will start to hit the used market and ebay and be available. At that point, can one simply buy the parts and upgrade, or is there still a certain level of programming required as I've seen when trying to unlock the factory Navigation on Sync 2 units not originally equipped.

I'm not going to be doing this soon...but I'm curious. Kinda waiting for people to get their hands on parts and try it and report back

#7 ·
It's not as easy as swapping modules... these are programmed, at the very least, for each and every vehicle's individual options. If you pull one from a junkyard later you'll be missing features or dealing with broken features.

#8 ·
In a way I'm actually glad it costs as much as it does cause I'm not going to be tempted to part with a wad of cash. Lord knows the current MFT hardware/software combo is unbelievably sluggish. So I would love to upgrade to something that can be used without repeated misclicks, lack of response and general frustration (nothing like swiping on resistive touchscreen), $2k be damned. At the same time that new UI really looks like complete poopers and $2k is just too much to risk being unhappy in the end. It's quite nice as such, just not for a car. I actually really like the look of the MFT, especially the main screen; it's blending well and has everything on it I need. It's just a pain to use sometimes.

#12 ·
Just to update anyone with a little forscan knowledge can buy the parts needed and than program it yourself. All you have to do is find a car with the exact features than yours and use the As built of that car to program the Sync 3 unit in yours. As far as cost of the parts you can get it between 500.00 and 2,000.00 depends on time and if there is any available on eBay.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.