Dash Panel - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 45814
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2012 Taurus SEL silver with black leather interior.
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
CC2012 Taurus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dash Panel

Hi, wondering if anyone know if the panel above the radio snaps out? I have a 2012 Taurus SEL and am considering an aftermarket backup camera and I am thinking if that panel comes out that there may be a way of doing a custom installation. I am not wanting to start prying on anything until I know if does come off. Thanks for the help..
CC2012 Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 43813
Drives: 2011 sho
crash712us is on a distinguished road

No, actually its a little involved. The center stack trim is all one piece including dash vents. And radio isn't right there on the dash is merely a control panel. The radio is deeper in the dash. If you need me to do a step by step how to I can try best. But you will be removing basically all trim from dash and center console.
crash712us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply, I don't know how involved I want to get with this if means really getting into the dash and console. I really would like to have the radio changed out so i could have blue tooth and backup camera with the radio but I don't know if Ford has anything for replacement. I am going to stop and talk to the dealer about it.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 45854
Drives: 2012 Taurus SE
StevenRFrancis is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you talking about the small squarish panel in the top-middle of the dash?
If so, that is removable and has a small 2.5" hole in if for a speaker that goes in the higher models.
Where were you going to put your camera?
Are you going to mount a monitor where that small panel is?
StevenRFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenRFrancis View Post
Are you talking about the small squarish panel in the top-middle of the dash?
If so, that is removable and has a small 2.5" hole in if for a speaker that goes in the higher models.
Where were you going to put your camera?
Are you going to mount a monitor where that small panel is?
Yes, that was my idea to do, as for the camera, I am considering a unit that fastens with the license screws at the top or possibly ordering the Ford camera that is mounted into the trunk piece and replace the piece that the car came with for a factory looking setup. Does the square piece just pop off? Thanks for your reply, this is something that I would like to do for my wife for Christmas since she has a hard time with backing up and the fact that it is such a blind area when backing when the grandkids are around. I really don't want to be another story at 11:00 with someone getting backed over.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2012 Taurus View Post
Yes, that was my idea to do, as for the camera, I am considering a unit that fastens with the license screws at the top or possibly ordering the Ford camera that is mounted into the trunk piece and replace the piece that the car came with for a factory looking setup. Does the square piece just pop off? Thanks for your reply, this is something that I would like to do for my wife for Christmas since she has a hard time with backing up and the fact that it is such a blind area when backing when the grandkids are around. I really don't want to be another story at 11:00 with someone getting backed over.
Yes, that piece pops out by itself. But the problem is if you are going to install a monitor there, you are going to have to run wires to the monitor. And because of that, you are going to have to remove almost every other panel to be able to run the wires.

It is possible, I have been procrastinating on my DIY for the radio swap, but if I finish it soon, you can use it to see how to remove the panels you need to remove.

Due to the height of the license place, I would recommend using the Ford Emblem camera instead.
Once you figure out how to install your monitor you can use my DIY for the camera installation.
DIY - OEM Rearview Emblem Camera Installation
Old 12-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, that piece pops out by itself. But the problem is if you are going to install a monitor there, you are going to have to run wires to the monitor. And because of that, you are going to have to remove almost every other panel to be able to run the wires.

It is possible, I have been procrastinating on my DIY for the radio swap, but if I finish it soon, you can use it to see how to remove the panels you need to remove.

Due to the height of the license place, I would recommend using the Ford Emblem camera instead.
Once you figure out how to install your monitor you can use my DIY for the camera installation.
DIY - OEM Rearview Emblem Camera Installation
I am thinking of the wireless units where all I need is power and the wireless signal to be activated by the reverse/backup light when you go into reverse. That type of setup simplifies the whole wire process. Thanks for your input, yes I would be curious what it must take to the radios out of one these cars. I would really like to replace it with a factory unit with the blue tooth and camera but I can't imagine what it would cost. I am planning on stopping at my dealership and talk to them.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

My setup cost somewhere over $1800. Took about 2-3 days once I figured everything out.
The hardest part was getting my steering wheel controls to work with the new radio.
Your car should have SYNC installed already. You can use that for Blutooth.
I think it would be better to use the wireless camera if you don't really need to change your radio.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
My setup cost somewhere over $1800. Took about 2-3 days once I figured everything out.
The hardest part was getting my steering wheel controls to work with the new radio.
Your car should have SYNC installed already. You can use that for Blutooth.
I think it would be better to use the wireless camera if you don't really need to change your radio.
Yea, I was just looking at a aftermarket unit that has a 7" screen and comes with bluetooth, navigation, and the backup camera screen with night vision, plugs into 12v port and is wireless to boot, the cost 370.00 that is looking pretty good and I just sent the company an email to ask some questions.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

That sounds interesting. Let us know what you find out.
Also provide a link or something so we can also see what you are looking at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement