post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southern
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
MY 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL

Hey all, it's been awhile since i posted to this forum. and ive actually had this car for awhile now so i figured why not. excuse me if its in the wrong place.

Anyway here goes. this is my 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL. a little history when i first got to this forum i had a 1999 Ford Taurus SE which i lost in a Wreck Last year. promptly replaced by a 2005 Ford Taurus SE which died a rapid death due to a Cooling System issue. well needing a new car i took to craiglist with limited funds to Test Drive a 1998 Green Taurus that was in rough cosmetic shape but had some mechanical issues that immediately haulted any plans to buy it. next was a 2006 Ford Five hundred i found on Craigslist for 1100 Dollars. i've had the car since June 2016 & it had then abit over 185,000 miles since then i've gotten it past 200,000.

the car was in the shape it was in when i bought it. Cosmetically on the exterior the paint isnt in the best conditon and it looks like it may have been repainted. the Rear Bumper is Cracked and theres a Large Dent in the Driver Side Fender. on the interior the Leather surfaces are Well Worn. the Headliner was dirty and sagging when i got it. some trim pieces were broken.

The Engine seems fine though it did overheat once in Gridlock traffic on a 100 Degree Plus Day.

the Most prominent issue is the Aisn 6 Speed Automatic Transmission. it Shifts Normally 1-4 but when it upshifts up to 5th there's a Delay & a Jerk. its not that Noticable under light throttle when the fluid is still cold. shift behavior gets worse with hard driving.

when the Transmission gets Hotter it starts shifting Harshly in others gears in addition to 4-5.

by then it'll sometimes shift with a Snatch in nearly all gears then slip going into 6th.

by that point the CEL & Service Required Wrench light also illuminate from the Torque Converter Failing to Lock.

Throughout all this the car has Continued to Crank up & Drive Reliably to and from work.

the only downtime this car has had is when.

Ac Compressor Seized up & Chewed the Serpentine Belt - Replaced with a New Compressor but not yet charged.

Car Battery Died in the Heat of summer - Replaced with a New one.

Screwed up the wiring harness leading to a Open Circuit in the start circuit - Fixed.

Cosmetic issues Aside the issues i know the car does or may Need is as Following.

Motor Mounts*

Probably Transmission Mounts Too*

Wheel Bearings*

More Than Likely Springs & Shocks All Around*

Brakes & Brake Rotors*

Possibly Cooling Fans*

AC Compressor New - Needs to be Charged*

Last time i got an Oil change some of the Notes pointed to a POSSIBLE rear main seal Leak.

some Minor annoyances are

ignition switch causes the Dome Light to randomly come on unless the key is Jiggled.

the Driver side Window Regulator went out.

anything else i didnt mention maybe will come to me later.

The car has Held up despite the aformentioned issues. so im deciding if i should Fix it or junk it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
some pictures...can take more if requested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160628_204316[1].jpg
Views:	19
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	188713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160626_215406[1].jpg
Views:	19
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	188721  

Last edited by 99Bluebull; 03-13-2017 at 06:44 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:08 PM

Chapter: Please Select a Region:
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.5L EcoBoost V6

Garage
I'd say cut your losses. IF the body and interior were in good condition maybe it would have been worth fixing. The money you would sink into it you could put towards another car.

It sounds like that prior to you the poor girl had a poor life and all the neglect over the years are now taking it's toll.

My personal opinion would be not to sink a ton of money into it as more likely than not more issues will arise.

"superbia in proelio"
2013 Taurus SHO with Performance Package
- Air Raid Cold Air Intake
- Magnaflow twin pipes with performance mufflers
- Red rear SHO badge

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:23 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006

Do you work on the car yourself or do you pay dearly for the stuff to get fixed.

If it really overheated, the head gaskets could be just hanging on.

Last edited by Automender12345; 03-13-2017 at 09:26 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:59 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^ He might be lucky on an overheat since the 500's have the 3.0 tec eng.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
^ He might be lucky on an overheat since the 500's have the 3.0 tec eng.

Are the Duratec known for being strong engines?

"superbia in proelio"
- Red rear SHO badge
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:17 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
They'll tolerate/withstand an overheat much better than a Vulcan or a 3.8 Essex.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
They'll tolerate/withstand an overheat much better than a Vulcan or a 3.8 Essex.

I'd like to get an AWD for my winter vehicle.

"superbia in proelio"
- Red rear SHO badge
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
To Awnser a few statements yes i do believe the car was Handled roughly prior to me obtaining it. just by the condition it was in the first time i saw it.

Call it a Crapshoot to buy this car but i was in a Tight spot at the time and nothing else in the amount of money i had to work with during fared much better.

i Find it Strange & Interesting that a Duratec 3.0 can survive overheating better than a Vulcan 3.0...but luckily the car wasnt Hot for long as it was pulled over at the next exit and allowed to cool.

Some other issues with the car is the Front End Alignment isn't Great.....holding a straight line requires the wheel to be off center & there is Noticable play in it. plus there's a Strange Feeling when driving in wet weather like the Two front tires arent following the same track...so the car likes to Wander when its wet outside. requiring extra caution when driving in the Rain. sometimes its Nerve Wracking.

The Front End makes considerable noises. like if you let off the brake pedal from a dead stop there's clunking suggesting looseness somewhere up there. the Front End Looseness amplifies the harshess of the transmission shifting as well emitting a Loud Bang. im quite sure all mounts need replacing.

Taking Certain Turns causes a strange crunching Feeling underneath the Floorboard. ive felt this feeling in my 99 Taurus before and based on the location im quite sure its the Rear Driver side Subframe mount.

Other than that the Engine is probably the Best part of the car...that probably has some miles left on it....but the transmission is on its Last Legs.

if i do end up getting another car i may end up parting out the Five Hundred.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Bluebull View Post
To Awnser a few statements yes i do believe the car was Handled roughly prior to me obtaining it. just by the condition it was in the first time i saw it.

Call it a Crapshoot to buy this car but i was in a Tight spot at the time and nothing else in the amount of money i had to work with during fared much better.

i Find it Strange & Interesting that a Duratec 3.0 can survive overheating better than a Vulcan 3.0...but luckily the car wasnt Hot for long as it was pulled over at the next exit and allowed to cool.

Some other issues with the car is the Front End Alignment isn't Great.....holding a straight line requires the wheel to be off center & there is Noticable play in it. plus there's a Strange Feeling when driving in wet weather like the Two front tires arent following the same track...so the car likes to Wander when its wet outside. requiring extra caution when driving in the Rain. sometimes its Nerve Wracking.

The Front End makes considerable noises. like if you let off the brake pedal from a dead stop there's clunking suggesting looseness somewhere up there. the Front End Looseness amplifies the harshess of the transmission shifting as well emitting a Loud Bang. im quite sure all mounts need replacing.

Taking Certain Turns causes a strange crunching Feeling underneath the Floorboard. ive felt this feeling in my 99 Taurus before and based on the location im quite sure its the Rear Driver side Subframe mount.

Other than that the Engine is probably the Best part of the car...that probably has some miles left on it....but the transmission is on its Last Legs.

if i do end up getting another car i may end up parting out the Five Hundred.
It sounds like you have answered your question. Hey we have all been there my friend, and wore the T-Shirts!

"superbia in proelio"
- Red rear SHO badge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page