LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
The mystery rattling

Ok...i have this odd rattle sound that's coming from under the passenger side dash.
Only happens at highway speeds.
Doesn't matter if HVAC is on or not.
It's not something in the glovebox.

Thoughts?
https://youtu.be/xmIf7oGLbt4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:03 PM
brn

Drives you crazy, doesn't it?

First and foremost, verify it's coming from where you think it's coming from. I had a rattle that I swore was coming from the dash, between the seats. It wasn't until I had someone else drive and rode in the back seat, that I figured out it was really coming from behind the driver seat.

If you haven't yet, have someone [safely] crawl around the car while you're driving to really isolate the rattle. Or you crawl around while someone else drives. If you still think it's coming from passenger side dash, remove the glovebox and look around in there (while recreating the rattle).

Rattles are tough. I spoke to a Service Manager about how they locate rattles. They actually put several microphones in the car, locate where it's loudest, re-position the microphones, repeat until located. Even then, they're not always successful.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn View Post
Drives you crazy, doesn't it?

First and foremost, verify it's coming from where you think it's coming from. I had a rattle that I swore was coming from the dash, between the seats. It wasn't until I had someone else drive and rode in the back seat, that I figured out it was really coming from behind the driver seat.

If you haven't yet, have someone [safely] crawl around the car while you're driving to really isolate the rattle. Or you crawl around while someone else drives. If you still think it's coming from passenger side dash, remove the glovebox and look around in there (while recreating the rattle).

Rattles are tough. I spoke to a Service Manager about how they locate rattles. They actually put several microphones in the car, locate where it's loudest, re-position the microphones, repeat until located. Even then, they're not always successful.
Hmm...good thought. (I was kinda hoping someone on the forum would say "OH! I know what that is! I fixed that in my car!")

I actually had my wife verify it was coming from somewhere in the dash on the passenger side...and she attempted reaching up in the dash to see if she could locate the source.

My hunch is it's related to air coming thru the HVAC system and causing one of the shutters/doors to rattle. Either that...or something is in one of the ducts. A nut/bolt/screw...something.

I guess i'm gonna have to start taking things apart!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:08 PM
brn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantheman View Post
Hmm...good thought. (I was kinda hoping someone on the forum would say "OH! I know what that is! I fixed that in my car!")
Rarely that easy. Mine turned out to be a rock that had wedged itself between a heat shield and some insulation under the car.

Quote:
I actually had my wife verify it was coming from somewhere in the dash on the passenger side...and she attempted reaching up in the dash to see if she could locate the source.
If you haven't yet, pull the glove box.
Ford Taurus HVAC Cabin Air Filter Replacement Guide - 2010 To 2014 Model Years - Picture Illustrated Automotive Maintenance DIY Instructions
It's easier than the linked instructions make it look.

Quote:
My hunch is it's related to air coming thru the HVAC system and causing one of the shutters/doors to rattle. Either that...or something is in one of the ducts. A nut/bolt/screw...something.
When I thought that was the case in my car (it wasn't), I duck taped a smaller tube to a vacuum cleaner hose, stuck it down the vents, and started sucking away. If that is the case for you, that might be worth a shot.
andrewcu likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE: I took the car to Ford and had the shop foreman ride with me. Within a minute...he said "that's not coming from the inside...it's outside." I was skeptical...but ok. So they took the car in...refastened the right front wheel well plastic...and BAM...it's gone.
I was getting to the point where I was considering trading it in for a different car. I spend too much time on the highway and it was absolutely driving me crazy.

Anyway. Problem solved. Quiet as a mouse once again.
jrdnhsnbrg likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:04 PM

Chapter: Northeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn View Post
Rarely that easy. Mine turned out to be a rock that had wedged itself between a heat shield and some insulation under the car.

If you haven't yet, pull the glove box.
Ford Taurus HVAC Cabin Air Filter Replacement Guide - 2010 To 2014 Model Years - Picture Illustrated Automotive Maintenance DIY Instructions
It's easier than the linked instructions make it look.

When I thought that was the case in my car (it wasn't), I duck taped a smaller tube to a vacuum cleaner hose, stuck it down the vents, and started sucking away. If that is the case for you, that might be worth a shot.
Thank you for that tutorial. I need to change my cabin filter

Current Projects:
"Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice can't get fooled again"

All green everything!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:12 PM
brn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantheman View Post
UPDATE: I took the car to Ford and had the shop foreman ride with me. Within a minute...he said "that's not coming from the inside...it's outside." I was skeptical...but ok. So they took the car in...refastened the right front wheel well plastic...and BAM...it's gone.
I was getting to the point where I was considering trading it in for a different car. I spend too much time on the highway and it was absolutely driving me crazy.

Anyway. Problem solved. Quiet as a mouse once again.
First, Congratulations. When mine was bad, I was considering trading my car in too. It's amazing how bad it can make the driving experience.

You pointed out something useful. If the sound is related to speed, it's likely on the outside. If it's speed related and make a buzzing sound, it's likely airflow (on the outside).

Andrew, you're welcome, but it's Paul (the creator of the page) that deserves all the credit. He has some pretty useful tutorials on the site. I found it very helpful when removing my door panels to replace the speakers.
Shantheman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page