Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Headlight options (not a HID discussion)

7K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Dan10 
#1 ·
What are my options for headlights on a 2015 Taurus because honestly the stock headlights suck! HID discussion is a no no so what are my options for bulbs? Anyway to improve visibility on this thing?

#2 ·
There aren't any. The stock bulbs are a special type of bulb that are brighter than a typical halogen and are pretty uncommon as well.

I have HIDs in my '13 SEL without any issues. They are aimed properly and nobody flashes at me so I'm not worried about it.

#3 ·
If you are willing to cut the rubber covers, you can attach a relay to send voltage directly from the battery to the bulbs to give a shot at better output. I think the 9012s are underpowered from the stock wiring.

#6 ·
The headlights are not bright at all. I can drive with the high beams on and so far only one person flashed me out of about 30 or so that I passed. High beams are as bright as normal low beams. Are the '15 headlights any different then the '13's?

#8 · (Edited)
Friends, move it along from the HIDs. It's against the rules and I don't want to shut down another thread over it. The point has been drilled into the ground, but it's not legal nor consistent with the rules.

If it continues, infractions are going out.

#15 ·
Hi, I understand what you mean, that headlights are horrible. But the option I found instead of HID's is getting a bulb very similar. Your Taurus should have a 9012 bulb, which no one makes. You can buy a 9006 bulb which has great options from Sylvania. All you will have to do is modify one of the tabs that hold in the bulb to the headlight surround. By modify, I mean cutting off a bit of plastic. The new 9006 bulbs work 10 times better but I think I am still going to adjust the angle of the headlights. Here is a link to the bulb I got but you can buy it at your local auto part store, https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/products/automotive/Pages/silverstar-ultra.aspx

#16 ·
I had similar problems with my 2011 Chrysler 200, and I didn't want HIDs (I find them quite annoying) but the option of the 9006 bulb mentioned above is a good one. The tab trim is very minor and in some cases not needed at all (depends on the housing)

Long story short, I found that adjusting the projector eyelid just a bit higher gave much more usable light without going full high beam. Given this experience, the first thing I did when I brought my 2013 SEL home was re-adjust the headlight eyelids. A long Phillips screwdriver and about 5 minutes did the trick, and I am happy with the stock light output.

I also loathe the idea of changing headlights at all. I don't know who the brilliant engineer was who came up with this plan of having to remove a bumper cover to change a headlight but I'd like to turn him over to Liam Neeson in a bad mood.

#22 · (Edited)
Long story short, I found that adjusting the projector eyelid just a bit higher gave much more usable light without going full high beam. Given this experience, the first thing I did when I brought my 2013 SEL home was re-adjust the headlight eyelids. A long Phillips screwdriver and about 5 minutes did the trick, and I am happy with the stock headlights
Where is the adjuster screw for the "projector eyelid"?

Anybody?

#18 ·
To remove the headlamp assembly, yes, but not for the individual headlight bulb itself.

If you want to cram in a 9006 to your 9012's existing spot, you just have to pull the dust cover and twist the socket. DIY bulb changes are a piece of cake in this car.

I will be surprised if you get better results with a 9006 > 9012; the 9006 is rated for far fewer lumens than the 9012 but the SilverStars are known for overdriving the filament at the expense of ultimate bulb life, so it may surpass the existing bulb based on that.

At some point I will look again into a direct relay set up (shouldn't have returned that one to Diode Dynamics), just need to figure out grommets for the dust covers to keep out debris and moisture from the assembly...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.