Rear/side window sunshade for 08 taurus? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 31717
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2008 Taurus Limited
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
fiedel is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Rear/side window sunshade for 08 taurus?

I used to consider window tinting on the rear/back side windows because my son is sitting backward and he hates the sunlight so much!!! I think 35% or 20% tinting could make him comfortable, but it would be too dark at night. I just read in the owner's manual that there's an option to use rear sunshade, which is not presented in my car. I searched around and only found one guy (working at ford dealership) tried to install it on his 09 taurus: the sunshade for $141.92, a rear package tray/shelf to install the sunshade for about $400, and extra rear "c" and "d" pillars because the original ones have to be destroyed for installation... Sounds crazy to me. Anybody has experience with rear window sunshade for this car? Compatiable (volvo s80?)/aftermarket/oem models are welcome. Acturally, any sunshades that can be hooked into the headliner clips in the rear roof panel are good enough to me.
fiedel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 01:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 39988
Chapter: Eastern Canada
Drives: 2008 Taurus SEL AWD 3.5L duratec
pegcitytaurus is an unknown quantity at this point

To me that sounds a little expensive and involved for just a rear window shade...

I have 2 little ones myself and I got my Taurus tinted 35 on the rear and two back doors and 50 on the front 2 doors (its the legal maximum here) you can't tell the difference between the two tints and it looks great.

Now me my wife and our kids are cool and shaded from the sun my interior is protected from fading (somewhat) and cost approx $450. Now keep in mind it does not block all sun like a shade would but you can also get those little stick on ones in the baby dept at wall mart. If your still looking for complete coverage

Tint is the way to go,IMHO
pegcitytaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Isn't 35 too dark for drive at night? Another problem with tint is, I'm in new york, where for side windows I can't use darker than 70, which is next to none...
Old 08-08-2011, 01:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 39988
Chapter: Eastern Canada
Drives: 2008 Taurus SEL AWD 3.5L duratec
pegcitytaurus is an unknown quantity at this point

the 35 is not a problem at all at night. If anything it keeps the headlight glare from the car behind you down a bit. I have a 2004 GMC ENVOY XL and it has like 10% - 5% on the back windows and rear passenger doors now that is dark but you get used to it.

Point being that the 35 on the rear of the Taurus is no problem when you have something darker to compare it to.

As far as the 70 being allowed is that on the front 2 doors and the back 2 doors can go darker?

Maybe you could do 50 all around you could probably get the tint shop to do a cash only work order and maybe you would have to waive your warranty on the tint (i'm sure your tint shop has done this before) then its nice and uniform (classy) The difference between 70 and 50 to the naked eye is hard to tell and i seriously doubt that the local police will have a light gun (measures tint transparency) to stop you and your family for illegal tint on your four door family sedan. Shouldn't they be stopping modded civics with the coffee can mufflers? ha ha

Funny enough Manitoba used to be only 70% back when i was a teenager and used to tint windows for a living...15 years later and presto 50 is now the legal limit...for the front windows and 35 for the back. ya gotta love progress
pegcitytaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Unfortunately nys allows 70 on all doors. Right I see a lot of cars around with dark windows. 35 on the rear window and 50 on the side sounds good to me. Hopefully it's good to the police
Old 02-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 53053
Drives: 2010 Ford Taurus SHO
footajr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rear window shade

my 2010 TAURUS REAR WINDOW SHADE goes down makes a pop noise and comes back up. wont stay down.
footajr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.