Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

should I concern the recalled "FRONT COIL SPRINGs"

5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  chartmaker 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Based on https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls/results.html, my 2000 taurus SE OHV has been recalled for the following reasons:

FSA Title: FRONT COIL SPRING EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE. NOTE: FOR VEHICLES AFFECTED BY SAFETY RECALL 04S17, INSTALLATION OF NEW FRONT COIL SPRINGS WILL CLOSE THE SAFETY RECALL.
Field Service Action Number: 04M04

I had called Ford Customer Service and they told me that my car had been performed the recall on November 2005.

Question> My front springs are not broken so far. If the front coil spring breaks in the near future, will it puncture my tires? Or the recall has fixed this potential hazard?

Thank you

#3 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Based on https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls/results.html, my 2000 taurus SE OHV has been recalled for the following reasons:

FSA Title: FRONT COIL SPRING EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE. NOTE: FOR VEHICLES AFFECTED BY SAFETY RECALL 04S17, INSTALLATION OF NEW FRONT COIL SPRINGS WILL CLOSE THE SAFETY RECALL.
Field Service Action Number: 04M04

I had called Ford Customer Service and they told me that my car had been performed the recall on November 2005.

Question> My front springs are not broken so far. If the front coil spring breaks in the near future, will it puncture my tires? Or the recall has fixed this potential hazard?

Thank you
See pic, recall involved adding these two parts with 2 bolts, they are for catching the spring when it brakes. Broken spring also shown. Springs break in rust belt areas. Bottom 2/3rds of coil. You can reach in over the tire and feel the spring for broken. Only OEM springs are of concern.

-chart-

#4 ·
The recall only put on a shield so that if the springs broke, it wouldn't puncture your tire. Don't know if you still have the original springs or not. Mine did break on me before I got it done and it did puncture the tire. Both times it happened while the car was sitting so nothing bad really happened except I came out and noticed the flat tire. The first time the rear spring broke and I knew it was just a matter of time before the fronts did, but then the front broke just before I was about to replace them. I went with Monroe quick struts at the time and their springs were thicker than OEM. They also had a lifetime warranty and I think I've replaced them about 3-4 times at this stage, just paid labor to swap them. New springs and struts make it ride pretty firmly til they wear out again.

#6 ·
You might see some rust. But, if you live in the north you'll always see some amount of rust on the springs. As far as I know, there really aren't any warning signs. You could inspect the bottom coil of the spring periodically.

If you are replacing the struts, go ahead a replace the springs as well.

#9 ·
Good plan, better safe than sorry. I've had breaks on a 2000 and a 2001, none cut the tire but sure could have. If your car had the recall I think they only add the shields and not the springs unless they are broken at the time so you very well could have original springs.

#12 ·
Yes, it could be expired by now. OP said theirs was done in 2005 and that's about the time my 2000 was fixed under warranty too. My 2001 lasted until just a couple years ago and those I replaced on my own since the struts were bad also so I don't know if the extended warranty would still have covered it.

#14 ·
I don't think it's expired. I went in to do the throttle cable recall which was about to expire and they mentioned that it didn't have the spring cover recall done. They were going to order it but I never went back as I had replaced the springs a long time ago. I think this was over a year ago. Some recalls don't expire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.