Which shocks are really firmer? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1999
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Which shocks are really firmer?

I have always heard people say that the 4th gen struts are firmer than the 3rd gen ones, and that if you want a firmer ride and more control on your Gen 3 Taurus then it's recommended to use the Gen 4s. I have also heard that the same thing applies to shocks that are used on the rear of the wagons, meaning that the Gen 4 shocks are firmer. But then I heard some people claim the opposite. I am confused. I think I recall that in one thread, one person said he contacted KYB and they told him the Gen 3 ones were firmer, and one person said KYB told him the Gen 4 ones were firmer. Can we have a confirmation please once and for all?

More specifically, I put Motorcraft Gen 4 struts on the front of my 99 Sable wagon (which is Gen 3) with KYB springs, and I was happy with the handling. Then, I put Gen 3 Motorcraft shocks on the back (with Moog cargo springs) and now the car feels much bouncier and kind of floats like a boat, so I'm wondering if maybe now the front is firmer than the back and making that happen? I'm not happy with those shocks in the back, and I'm thinking of switching them for KYB Gas-A-Just but now I'm not sure if they should be Gen 3 or Gen 4, can someone help me out with this?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 05:07 PM
Devoted Member

Trader Score: 0 reviews
I'm happy with the KYB Gas-A-Justs and Moog cargo coil springs on the rear of my wagon. My KYBs are Gen 4s. I also have Gen 3 springs and Gen 4 KYB struts on the front. I'm very happy with the overall ride and handling. Firm, but not harsh.

Wagons are the Best at Hauling Ass!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium Wagon, 3.0L Duratec V-6
2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0 I-4
2004 Ford Freestar SEL, 4.2L V-6
2008 Nissan Titan SE, Crew Cab/Long Bed, 5.6L V-8
2012 Toyota Camry LE, 2.5 I-4

Gone, but not Forgotten:
2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab, 4x4, 4.7L
1994 Subaru Legacy wagon, Alpine Pkg
1990 Toyota 4x4 Pickup, 2.2L
1988 Mazda 323GT, 1.6L DOHC intercooled turbo
1980 Plymouth Champ, 1.6L
1970 Mercury Marquis, 429 gas sucking cubic inches
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Cool thanks. But I guess your vehicle is actually a Gen 4...not that it really matters
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

What do you guys think about my theory for the bounciness? Or is it just possibly that the Motorcraft rear shocks aren't too great?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 04:04 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast

When I tried to get confirmation of which KYB struts where stiffer some time back, there tech dept said gen 3 struts were stiffer than gen4, contrary to what I had seen posted.
It's like that KYB shocks are stiffer than Motorcraft which would work better with stiffer cargo springs.
Stiffer springs need stiffer shocks/struts. It's a matter of physics. This is why I called the KYB tech dept months ago.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks thats good to know. Do you think that means that everyone who says that Gen 4 struts are firmer are mistaken or is it just that KYB shocks specifically are firmer for Gen4? Because it would be weird if everyone was mistaken about this in general, as presumably this is something that can be felt by the driver?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 07:28 PM
Devoted Member

In my experience KYB struts/shocks are valved stiffer than other brands, especially Monroe with a better compression to rebound balance too.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

I've heard that
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 10:52 AM
Devoted Member

Garage
I have new KYB struts on my station wagon. Feels like a brand new sports car to me.

I have a test spot on the road - it's on a 35mph road after a train line passage on my way back from work. On the other side is an asphalted dip full of scrape lines from cars hitting the bottom. With my older struts, I had to go with 25mpg not to scrape. Now I do 40mph and still nothing - what an adrenaline rush!! I still cringe at that spot

"Those with limited knowledge in a domain suffer from a dual burden: Not only do they reach mistaken conclusions and make regrettable errors, but their incompetence robs them of the ability to realize it."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SoNic67; 01-17-2016 at 10:59 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 11:57 AM
Feelin Grumpier Every Day

Year: 2003
Model: Ford Taurus

I've got KYB all around. Definitely stiffer than stock, but a nice handling upgrade. The rears have about 10k on them, the fronts 1k.

Bradley.
Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio system, other enhancements. April '14 COTM winner.

See more details

What's next, 'the eyes that rolled at my massive ego'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page