Gen 4 (2006 SEL) Rear Sway Bar Question - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Gen 4 (2006 SEL) Rear Sway Bar Question

Hi all!

Quick Version: What size rear sway bar should I add to a Gen4 with stock front (didn't come with rear)? 18mm?

So I've been looking around for days, doing all sorts of searches, and I think it's all starting to run together for me. I am hoping someone can help me out.

With my rear seeming to sag a bit (13" from hub center to fender), I decided to replace my rear springs. In the end, I decided to go with
Gabriel G56936 ReadyMount Complete Strut Assembly
and
Moog K3124 Sway Bar Link Kit

When I was getting everything apart, I noticed a distinct lack of a rear sway bar. After a bit of confusion, I started researching as much as I could. In the end, it seemed like adding one (since the new struts have the tab) is a good idea.

I went to a yard and pulled a bar and mounts (and bushings and bolts). I believe they came off of a '98. The bar seems to be in decent shape, and measures at 18mm. I thought I read somewhere that 18mm is the size my car would have, if it had come with one. Is this true?

More importantly, what are the pros/cons of adding the 18mm rear bar to the car, with everything stock up front? Better or worse than leaving the rear without a bar at all?

Should I try to replace them both with different sizes? Until then, I appreciate any input on just adding a rear bar for now.

As a side note... the new strut assemblies only lifted my car about an inch... currently at 14" from hub to fender. Is this about right?

Thank you very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2003
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

No, add the bar. You'll be much happier.

Bradley.
Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio system, other enhancements. April '14 COTM winner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

See more details
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What's next, 'the eyes that rolled at my massive ego'?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 11:52 PM
Devoted Member

My '98 had an 18mm rear bar, 19mm front from the factory.
It has '90 SHO sway bars now.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 12:08 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northern

Not to ask a stupid question, but what are the benefits of adding a sway bar? I don't think my car (early build '04) has them. I'm assuming improved handling, but in what ways?

David

2004 SEL Comfort ~ Shadow Grey Metallic ~ Mach upgrade with Pioneer speakers in the doors and Kenwood speakers in the rear deck ~ tinted windows ~ amber rear turn signal mod
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 12:24 AM
Has It Been That Long?

Like the name says, less sway. Better cornering, better stability on the highway, etc.

Bradley.
Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio system, other enhancements. April '14 COTM winner.

See more details

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 12:31 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northern

Is it worth the trouble of finding them in a junkyard and adding them? How hard would it be to do? My '97 GL might have had them, but I don't remember what it was like cornering in that car, and I wouldn't be able to compare it with what it's like now.

David

2004 SEL Comfort ~ Shadow Grey Metallic ~ Mach upgrade with Pioneer speakers in the doors and Kenwood speakers in the rear deck ~ tinted windows ~ amber rear turn signal mod
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

I haven't tried cutting through an end link with a pair of bolt cutters, but I found myself wishing I had a pair when I was in the junkyard. If those will work, then it's fairly easy to pull a rear bar:

1) Bring a scissor jack and lug wrench (or find them lying around in the JY)
2) Jack up one side, and pull the rear tire
3) Lower it, and repeat on the other side
4) Remove the single bolt holding each bracket and remove the brackets and bushings
5) Cut the two end links (very visible)
6) Snake the sway bar out one side

This is basically what I did, except I didn't have bolt cutters. So I ended up having to fight to get the end link nuts loose, instead of being able to cut them. Had to use a nutbuster on one side, and the other was also a pain. To snake the bar out (I took it out through the driver's side), I removed the three bolts at the gas filler cap, and the one bolt holding the filler tube to the body... so I could push the filler tube down far enough to get the bar through. It might not have been necessary, but the car was on the ground (no tires once I took them off), and a front seat from some other car was pancaked underneath the rear end.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 1 reviews
The rear away bar was an option?
No way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2003 Vulcan AX4S Spruce Green

For Sale

I am TheSavo on the following Boards,
Crownvic.ca, Crownvic.net, Escape-City.com, FordEscape.og, FordTaurus.net, ExplorerForum.com, F150online.com, TaurusOwners.com

Like my diagrams? they are from
Sign-up for a free account.

Vehicle Maintenance Log.
Also has an Android App.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesavo View Post
The rear away bar was an option?
No way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
They deleted it for the 2004 MY.

Bradley.

See more details

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 12:07 AM
Technical Advisor

Trader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bull geek Send a message via MSN to bull geek
After 12/03 they deleted it. Early build cars had it.

--Nick
-'66 Ford Country Squire wagon 390/C6
-'87 & '89 Mercury Colony Park wagons 302 EFI/AOD
-'90 Lincoln Town Car 302 EFI/AOD
-'03 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L/4R70W

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan, '00 Taurus SEL 3.0 24V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page