Tire Pressure for Low Profile Tires and Excessive Veer with Perfect Alignment. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 53148
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 2002 Ford Taurus SES, Flex Fuel. OHV
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Stefenhop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tire Pressure for Low Profile Tires and Excessive Veer with Perfect Alignment.

I have a 2002 Ford Taurus SES FFV, OHV with Low profile tires. 205/50R16. I currently have 32 lbs of pressure in my tires because I assumed that since they are smaller tires i needed more pressure. I do not want to put 35 lbs in my tires because a) I'm not sure the adverse effects and b) there would be no expansion space. I am trying to figure out what the recommended pressure is for those tires on my vehicle. I took my car out for a test drive today after i geeked my engine for giving me a emissions leak warning. It seems to be fixed and i believe that was due to the automating timing being offset by bad driving habits but now that all that is fixed, my car seems to veer excessively in both directions and my handling is crap. My power steering is full so that is not the case. Could some one help me figure out my recommended tire pressure?
Stefenhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Emeritus Staff Member

Member Number: 51308
Chapter: Please Select a Region:
Drives: .
The White Falcon is a splendid one to beholdThe White Falcon is a splendid one to behold

What is stamped on the tire sidewall?

See the details here.

Life at its best is a creative synthesis of opposites in fruitful harmony. Martin Luther King, Jr.
But...it was so artistically done. Grand Admiral Thrawn.
The White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

it says 35 Cold psi max
Old 02-23-2013, 12:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Emeritus Staff Member

The White Falcon is a splendid one to beholdThe White Falcon is a splendid one to behold

Alright, did the handling get worse after you aired up the tires? Has it gotten worse since you put these tires on?

Also, just because the alignment is good doesn't mean the front end is in good shape. You might want to check ball joints, etc, for wear and tear. Make sure the lug nuts are tight as well.

See the details here.

Life at its best is a creative synthesis of opposites in fruitful harmony. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've had the car since early january and these are the tires that came on it. I aired the tires up during miday and they seemed to ride smother than me airing them up this morning to 32 psi. the ride has worsened since last week wen i had more pressure in them it is very difficult to keep the car flowing smoothly on the freeway @65 so i would say it has worsed over all city and highway
Old 02-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Emeritus Staff Member

That sounds like far more than a pressure problem. Get the car checked. If you want to do it yourself, jack up a front wheel, grab it with your hands at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, and rock it back and forth (you're pushing from the top and bottom). If it moves more than a little your steering components are worn out. Barring that, the tires might be going bad as well. Also, how do you know the alignment is good? Have you had it checked?

See the details here.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

not per-say but by the simple testing of do you roll straight on a flat surface for more than a 1/4 mile.and by top to bottom do you mean push towards the ground and towards the sky?

Meet Nikki.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

Member Number: 37681
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 01 Sable Wagon Duratec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud of

The only REAL way to know if the alignment is good is by taking it to a shop and getting it checked and/or corrected. Pulling to the left and right(not just one side) is a sign of a bad alignment or bad suspension parts. I'll bet the inner tie rods are shot and it's causing issues. Jack the car up and do this in the video. If it does what my wheels did, the inner tie rods are bad and need to be replaced.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

the tie rods appear fine. the left and right tires moved no more than a few millimeters (about 2-4mm if that). I'm not sure if it is within the suspension system or within the steering column. i have also made note that my wear and tear says that my toe appears to be off granted the rest of alignment appears fine. the front left tire appears to be wearing evenly.the left rear appears to be wearing inside. the right two tires appear to be wearing outside. I have uni-directional tires so rotating them to even the wear is impossible. Could my toe have anything to do with veering? or are there any other things that also may inflict my veering.

(please note the veering occurs at its worst at freeway speeds.)

Meet Nikki.

Last edited by Stefenhop; 02-23-2013 at 08:55 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

There should be zero perceivable slop in the tie rods when you do the wiggle test at 3 and 9 o'clock. When you do this test you should have the key turned so you aren't feeling the steering column lock stopping the rotation.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement