Tire Pressure for Low Profile Tires and Excessive Veer with Perfect Alignment. - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

^+1. Good to know about the key turned "on".
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

Member Number: 37681
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 01 Sable Wagon Duratec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sousa632 has a brilliant futuresousa632 has a brilliant futuresousa632 has a brilliant future

Plus...... if you have wear on your tires, your alignment is NOT good. Take it to a shop and have them check it. Most shops(here in NJ) charge something like $35 to test the alignment and if it's out thy will do the alignment and not charge you the testing fee.

And I know I've said this many times on this forum before but, appears fine are ARE fine are two completely different things. It's all in the manner in how you test them to make certian they are in servicable condition.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member Number: 53148
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 2002 Ford Taurus SES, Flex Fuel. OHV
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Stefenhop is an unknown quantity at this point

ah turn the key to on or run? because i had my key in off position.

and they appeared fine is why i said with perfect i was not aware of my wear till this afternoon.

Meet Nikki.

Last edited by Stefenhop; 02-23-2013 at 10:50 PM. Reason: to add info
Stefenhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, turn the key one or two clicks and confirm you can turn the steering wheel freely with the wheels in the air. Otherwise the steering is locked and you might be feeling the small amount of play between the lock teeth. You will be able to turn the wheel if you push hard enough (the steering wheel will turn), but what you are looking for is slop that occurs without the steering wheel moving. If you want you can have a helper hold the steering wheel rigidly in place.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
Yes, turn the key one or two clicks and confirm you can turn the steering wheel freely with the wheels in the air. Otherwise the steering is locked and you might be feeling the small amount of play between the lock teeth. You will be able to turn the wheel if you push hard enough (the steering wheel will turn), but what you are looking for is slop that occurs without the steering wheel moving. If you want you can have a helper hold the steering wheel rigidly in place.
It was the freeplay so the tie rods appear well the steering wheel moved with enough pressure between the freeplay. so the only other logical thing i can think of is rack and pinion and/ or the attached steering column components or the alignment of the toe. other than that i am not sure what else could cause the slight hairline move of the wheel to cause such dramatic veer unless that is a Taurus signature at 65 mph

Meet Nikki.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

The steering response is affected by toe. If the toe is set to zero or out slightly, the car will have a quick initial steering response and a tendency to wander more especially on grooved surfaces. Normally cars have a slight amount of toe in to prevent excessive wandering. I think this is what you're describing (wandering, not veer).

Leave your tires at 30-32 psi. More will cause excessive center wear. Make sure you are checking them cold.

Just to be clear, straight tracking ≠ good alignment. Alignment has to be checked on a rack before you can call it good. So at this point I really think you should have a 4 wheel alignment check performed. If you want you can post the alignment printout so we can look at your numbers.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #17 (permalink)

I actually plan to check my alignment tomorrow at a rough estimate if i can and my certain place still provides the free alignment check. just to make sure but I'm sure that, at this point, my alignments camber, for certain, must be out if it is wearing the way it is. Other than that, i will post my alignment specs as soon as I get them done and to an internet connection in which i can scan them into the computer. But as of tonight, I'm calling it a night (not only that its 10.42pm everything is closed).

7.36 2/24/2013
scheduled a alignment check and vehicle check at Goodyear for tomorrow morning printout will be displayed as of tomorrow afternoon more than likely.

Until the specs arise,

Meet Nikki.

Last edited by Stefenhop; 02-24-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: typo, Addition's to info
Old 02-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 85
crackhead has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to crackhead Send a message via Yahoo to crackhead

The outside tire edge wear can also be caued by the Toe being out of spec. (it is really feathering but having multiple problems can mask the feather to look more like positive camber)

Unless you have damage suspension components (hitting a curb) then usualy the Taurus will have negative camber from the factory and as the springs wear out the negative camber increases. So having positive camber mean something is really messed up/ worn out.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

So here are the specs they gave me. they did not give me an alignment report but they told me that i needed alignment along with other parts.

I also need step by step directions on changing both of those parts correctly. I also appreciate everyone's help on this. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Tire Pressure for Low Profile Tires and Excessive Veer with Perfect Alignment.-goodyear_vcr-2-25-13.jpg  

Meet Nikki.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefenhop View Post
I also need step by step directions on changing both of those parts correctly. I also appreciate everyone's help on this. Thank you.
Search the site and YT for how-to videos. If you want detailed factory instructions, buy an Alldata DIY subscription for your car. If you have a question or problem with a specific step, start a new topic. Changing ball joints and inner tie rods do take some experience and special tools, so you should consider having a shop do them for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement