Front Brake Rotors - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 50870
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2002
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Intercept is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front Brake Rotors

Just replaced front pads on my 02 Bull a few years back. ! This is just a FYI and a reminder to all that already know this. DO NOT REINSTALL YOUR LUG NUTS WITH AN IMPACT WRENCH,, run those suckers up by hand as far as you can, then lower your jack/lifting device down to make enough contact to where you can properly torque your lug nuts. A few years back i was having back trouble and could not rotate my own tires. Took my car to Wal Mart to get them rotated. So that was done with and a few miles later i noticed my front end shaking violently when applying the brakes. They (Walmart) warped my front rotors by using a impact wrench when putting my tires on. Alot of tire shops do this just to get you in and out quickly to make more money !! I just had to post this because it pisses me off to no end when someone does'nt follow the correct "path" when repairing someone elses property. My back is a little better nowadays, and from here on out i am rotating my own. I know i told you i was pissed off to no end,,,,,,,,, but i am just trying to save someone some money !! Thank You for reading my "vent" post............lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 41989
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 1998 Mercury Sable LS Premium, 3.0L Duratec DOHC 24V V6
98SilverSable is an unknown quantity at this point

Not if you do it right. that's all we use at my job is an impact wrench to tighten lugnuts. I don't sit there and hold the trigger for several seconds, I just do a quick zip and let off after 1/2 second when it hits the wheel. then when all are on, I go back and do a 1/2 second trigger pull on each lugnut to snug them down. I never have any trouble getting them back off next time the vehicle come back in for service

And I've never heard of rotors warping by over tightened lugnuts. Usually the studs break before anything else happens
"If I had money, I'll tell you what I'd do.... I'd go downtown and buy a Mercury or 2, crazy about a Mercury. Yeah, I'm crazy about a Mercury. I'm gonna buy me a Mercury and cruise it up and down the road!"

- Alan Jackson - "Mercury Blues"

Facebook

Last edited by 98SilverSable; 01-06-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

But, Silver Sable ! There are not alot of mechanics that always do things right. Yes you can warp your rotors, after i had that incident @ w.mart i checked both rotors for trueness, and they were not even close !! replaced my rotors and no more vibration,,,,, it never even had a vibration in it when i took it there, afterwards it did. So if my new rotors took out the vibration,,,,,,, and you say you have never heard of rotors warping,,, what was it ?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 41989
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 1998 Mercury Sable LS Premium, 3.0L Duratec DOHC 24V V6
98SilverSable is an unknown quantity at this point

With the Wal-Mart "techs", who knows what they did. Those guys are just idiots off the street or probably shoppers they just handed applications to. You should NEVER go to Wal-Mart for auto services. I work at a Ford dealership, where we don't intentionally do things so people have to spend more money and our guys are certified and know how to fix a car.

I've heard of rotors warping, but not by over tightening the lugnuts. I've mainly seen them warp due to people constantly riding the brakes or the pads heating up, causing the rotors heat up, and that will cause them to warp. also, pad slapping (throwing on new pads without resurfacing the rotors) when doing a brake job can also cause it, as well with calipers that stick
"If I had money, I'll tell you what I'd do.... I'd go downtown and buy a Mercury or 2, crazy about a Mercury. Yeah, I'm crazy about a Mercury. I'm gonna buy me a Mercury and cruise it up and down the road!"

- Alan Jackson - "Mercury Blues"

Facebook

Last edited by 98SilverSable; 01-06-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

After I have any tire work done I always remove and re torque my wheels to proper spec when I get home. Takes 10mins. If my cordless impact wrench can't get the lug off, they tightened it too much.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

@breeves yeah i'm a little OCD when it comes to torqueing wheels and other certain items. I was a CH47D "Chinook" helicopter crew member for 11yrs and 90% of our bolts and such are safety wired to where they wont come loose during flight. hmmmmm got me thinking, i think i'll go out tommorrow and do some safety wiring......... nah ! Thats way out there OCD........lol
Old 01-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

@98 silver sable , well i did need them rotated, and i picked the wrong place. I figured they could handle it, but was proven wrong,,,, as far as the rotors go, i usually replace them with the pads. I know its not necessary to replace your rotors, but i like that warm and fuzzy feeling, knowing i have new pads/new rotors
Old 01-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3575
sfhess will become famous soon enough

Last time I bought tires for my Fusion three different guys warned me that my lug nuts were so beat up that I might not be able to remove them in the field if I had a flat tire. I told them to stop beating the crap out of the nuts with their zip guns.

Intact is one word. A lot is two words.

1991 Taurus LX Sedan 3.8 Titanium Frost - Taken to the pound/RIP 12/27/2012.
2011 Fusion 2.5 Auto Silver Appearance Package
1969 Cougar XR 7 351W
2014 Focus SE Hatch 2.0 GDI White Sport Package
"I had the right to remain silent, but I did not have the ability" - Ron White
Old 01-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 47403
Drives: 2004 SES
Bob R is an unknown quantity at this point

I purchased my Michelins at a wholesale club called BJ's (don't ask me why they picked those two letters...I wouldn't have). They have a deal where you pay $15 per tire for lifetime rotation...flat repair...balancing etc. They always torque the lug nuts with a torque wrench. I then re check them about a couple weeks later.

I did have an issue where the lug nuts kept coming loose when they torqued them. Almost lost a front wheel once. Then I replaced both front hubs/wheel bearings and now they stay tight. I do have a mechanic that uses an impact air wrench that has done some front end work, though.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 43818
Drives: 2010 Taurus SHO
mjhpadi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98SilverSable View Post

And I've never heard of rotors warping by over tightened lugnuts. studs break
I am surprised that you've never heard of this. Well, not this specifically but years ago (and it has been re-enforced several dozen times that lugnuts should always be torqued with a torque wrench to prevent them from warping due to uneven tightening....not sure if uneven tightening is a large problem, but we have not experienced any warped rotors since I've started using a torque wrench on the lug nuts and checking them periodical. There must be some reason for the manufacturers to put torque specs on the lug nuts....
2010 Ford Taurus SHO-Livernois 4+X Tune, Airaid CAI, Caliper Covers, Tinted Taillights, Tinted Headlights, LED Interior Lighting, LED Puddle Lamps and License Lights, SHO Hood Stripes, Rearranged Trunk Badging, 3 Bar MAP Sensor, 160 Evenflo Thermostat, V3 Triton Switchback LED Front Parking/Turn Signal
2004 Ford Explorer Limited-Wife's Tow Vehicle
1999 Mercury Sable LS-Our "Beatermobile"
1999 Ford Taurus SE Wagon-'Our Family Truckster"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread