Train brakes !! - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 50870
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2002
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Intercept is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Train brakes !!

02 Bull. Recently my abs light has been coming on, and my brakes sound like a train slamming on the brakes. most of my noise is in the LH driver side brake. What is it ? Obviously need brakes, but what is causing my problem now. Brake caliper sticking ?

Next question's: 1. Will i benefit a whole lot from installing slotted rotors ?
2. And are ceramic pads a good route, i know they will disapete heat more quickly and not get as hot as semi-metallic pads. But is all of that necessary ? My driving style has me not using my brakes as much and hard as most people.
Intercept is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 45573
Drives: 1992 Ford Taurus L 3.0L 74K
Spaceman1200 has a spectacular aura about

You need new pad's and rotors. There are wear indicator's on the brake pads themselves that cause a grinding noise.
Spaceman1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Train noise is either the wear indicators scraping on the rotors or the pads are completely worn down and you have metal on metal.

Slotted rotors are not worth it for normal use. Go with a standard rotor.

Stock pads are ceramic I believe. You get much more brake dust with semi metallics. So I would go with a standard brake job.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

Member Number: 37681
Drives: 01 Sable Wagon Duratec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud of

Have you taken a wheel off and looked at the brakes? My bet is you need a full brake job. As said slotted/drilled rotors on a Bull is not necessary unless you are doing AutoX.

Just hope your rotors dont look like this...

My brother told me 2 days earlier that his brakes arent stopping like they did, and he's hearing a grinding noise. Needless to say there was nothing left, because of a bad flex brake hose............ yea he's not smart.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
N.E. Chapter Moderator

Member Number: 42443
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE FFV
Trader Score: 7 reviews
TaurusDailyDriver is a name known to allTaurusDailyDriver is a name known to all

Yikes Now that is bad.

2011 Ford Fusion SEL 3.0L DOHC V6
2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L FFV OHV (The Beater)

2006 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L OHV V6 (Sold)
2005 Ford Taurus SEL 3.0L FFV OHV V6 (Sister's)
TaurusDailyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 04:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
fct
Devoted Member

Member Number: 10774
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 1999 Duratec
fct has a spectacular aura about

I have installed the cheapest "made in china" blank NAPA Premium rotors on two different cars and had no issues with them (granted, these are pretty much the only rotors you can count on being available in-stores without a special order). As for brake pads, don't read too much into the material content. It's all marketing. Just go by word of mouth. I have tried NAPA Adaptive One, Wagner Thermoquet, and AutoZone Gold C-Max. All of these were very good. I have been impressed with Wagner Thermoquiet (QC598) as these were replacing my StopTech brake pads, and I honestly didn't feel much difference in stopping power in street driving even though StopTech are supposed to be very high performance. The Wagner brake pads were a lot cleaner though.
fct is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

sousa,,,,,,,,,,,,that is one chewed up rotor. Did you get the vehicle like that ? please tell me you check your rotors every now and then.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35029
Drives: 1996 Sable LS, 3.0L V6 24V Duratec, AX4N GONE, RIP
SoNic67 has a spectacular aura about

I saw in the AAP store, on the brake "demo" stand, one rotor looking exactly like that of sousa632's brother. I wonder if he sold it to them
SoNic67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

Member Number: 37681
Drives: 01 Sable Wagon Duratec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercept View Post
sousa,,,,,,,,,,,,that is one chewed up rotor. Did you get the vehicle like that ? please tell me you check your rotors every now and then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sousa632 View Post
My brother told me 2 days earlier that his brakes arent stopping like they did, and he's hearing a grinding noise. Needless to say there was nothing left, because of a bad flex brake hose............ yea he's not smart.
I'm the one who works on all the cars in my family. I'm also the one that everyone says is ALWAYS working on my cars(which is true). It's not mine cause I'd be embarrased as anything if this was my vehicle.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well was 60 miles from home. parked the car to do some business ! Got back in car, put in reverse.....no movement, fowards very little movement. Finally said F it put in reverse and mashed the gas, heard a noise after it broke free, went to inspect, and found my inner brake pad..... the slider pin on the caliper bracket was frozen causing my pad/rotor contact. Limped the car home. thought ineeded a brake caliper so i got one. wrong one, the next 2 were wrong also.. The mouting bracket that came with all three calipers were to short in height. But i found a brake caliper slider pin at my local parts store..................... Yep....i'm a dumazz for not inspecting further. Put the new Wagner Thermo Quiet Ceramic pads and new rotors,,,,,,,, love those pads they are great !!!!! So there was the answer to my brake problem= a frozen slider pin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.