!!!!!Front end noise PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 51864
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2002 Ford Taurus 24v 3.0L DOHC
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
tvtaurus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default !!!!!Front end noise PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

So a couple months back, i was getting ready for winter and bought a 2002 Taurus so I could put Charline, my mustang away for the winter. I'm very happy with the car my family has several Tauruses and they are great cars. The problem that I am having is some sort of clunking coming from my front end. When I first bought the car it made a slight clunking sound only when taking turns hard. So i crawled under the car to investigate. My sway bar end links looked trashed so i replaced them. Since replacing them the sound got much worse. At first I thought that maybe I just didn't have them tight enough, but I tightened them and its still not any better. All of my suspension components appear to be in good condition. When I jack up a wheel there isn't any play Left & Right of Up & Down. My struts and cv joints look fine as well. Nothing appears to be loose; However when i push down on the front end of the car I hear a slight squeaking sound, but it doesn't necessarily sound like the struts. Any ideas?
tvtaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Member Number: 49973
Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Drives: 1999 Taurus wagon se 24v dohc 169,000 miles
glock20man can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtaurus View Post
So a couple months back, i was getting ready for winter and bought a 2002 Taurus so I could put Charline, my mustang away for the winter. I'm very happy with the car my family has several Tauruses and they are great cars. The problem that I am having is some sort of clunking coming from my front end. When I first bought the car it made a slight clunking sound only when taking turns hard. So i crawled under the car to investigate. My sway bar end links looked trashed so i replaced them. Since replacing them the sound got much worse. At first I thought that maybe I just didn't have them tight enough, but I tightened them and its still not any better. All of my suspension components appear to be in good condition. When I jack up a wheel there isn't any play Left & Right of Up & Down. My struts and cv joints look fine as well. Nothing appears to be loose; However when i push down on the front end of the car I hear a slight squeaking sound, but it doesn't necessarily sound like the struts. Any ideas?
Ball joints.
glock20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 5295
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE 3.0L Vulcan Bought with 111,432KM in October of 2012
the_intimidator_02 has a spectacular aura about

Have you checked the sway bar bushings when you checked out the sway bar links? Loose bushings will allow the bar to move enough to cause a clunk type noise.

Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.

The Human race is governed by it's own imagination.

Please don't steal, the government can't stand the competition.
the_intimidator_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ball joint and sway bar bushings look fine, nothing is loose that i can see
Old 12-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

Member Number: 37681
Drives: 01 Sable Wagon Duratec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud of

Ball joint noise.......... my old Tbird(not parents tbird) made this noise. Grease the fitting and all is well

Sway bar squeaking sounds very similar to that but less metallic. If I were you, get under the car and see if you have grease zerks on the balljoints. If you do(aftermarket as OEM are seales, non greasable) grease them up and see if the squeaking goes away. If not, throw some white lithium grease in the sway bar bushings, if they are in good condition of course, and see if the noise goes away. I had a 98 Altima that was notorius for the rear sway bar bushings to squeak like crazy in the winter.

Also, LOOKS fine and TESTED fine a 2 different things. Especially when it comes to suspension parts that have ball and socket joints in them. They can look fine externally, but if the joint internally is rusted(dry) or is worn, then it's a whole different story.

Last edited by sousa632; 12-22-2012 at 09:29 PM.
sousa632 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 348
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 1986 Ford Taurus LX wagon
radioflyer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to radioflyer

Quote:
Ball joint and sway bar bushings look fine, nothing is loose that i can see
How did you check your ball joint?
radioflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

I jacked up one wheel at a time and checked for play in the 12 & 6 o'clock, and 9 & 3 o'clock positions. There was no play in either. I will check for vertical and horizontal play tomorrow. And the noise that i am hearing when I am driving is a loud metallic popping sound, it sounds terrible.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 348
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 1986 Ford Taurus LX wagon
radioflyer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to radioflyer

When you jacked up the vehicle to check one of the ball joints, where exactly did you position the jack?
radioflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

after the front end was jacked up i put a jack under the rotor and jacked it up and there was no play in the ball joint. Could my new front sway bar end links be bad or loose they don't move by hand. How tight are those bolts supposed to be? The noise sounds like something is going to fall off. Its just a terribly loud popping sound heard when taking turns mostly, but also heard when breaking or driving over bumpy roads and speed bumps. Please help.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 47403
Drives: 2004 SES
Bob R is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
after the front end was jacked up i put a jack under the rotor and jacked it up and there was no play in the ball joint. Could my new front sway bar end links be bad or loose they don't move by hand. How tight are those bolts supposed to be? The noise sounds like something is going to fall off. Its just a terribly loud popping sound heard when taking turns mostly, but also heard when breaking or driving over bumpy roads and speed bumps. Please help.
My wife's Explorer had a popping noise like that and it turned out being the inner tie rod, but I could see the slop in it when I jacked it up and push/pulled at 9 and 3 o'clock.

It was OK until you made a turn and it would pop really loud.
Bob R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement