Negative Camber Issue - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
moy

Member Number: 51203
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2008 Dodge Charger 2010 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ 2007 Ford F-350
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
moy is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Negative Camber Issue

Hello, i buy and sell used cars as part time job, but recently on a 2007 ford taurus, i cant seem to fix the negative camber on both front wheels, (top of the wheel leaning in) obviously it was in an accident but it was a small fender bender (literally i only replaced the fender) and it also looks like it was scraped on the bottom of the frame, i had the framed checked by a body shop with their frame machine and everything checked out great, i have replaced everything with new oem parts(control arms,tie rods,stabilizer bar,strut with coil springs,spindle,ball joints, ETC, EVERYTHING I'M SURE. i took to an alignment shop and said they would drill out the spot welds and move the strut mount to adjust camber and that would be it for the alignment because my toe checked out great, so i tried it myself, but didn't work, negative camber still appears, with the torch i cut more into strut tower but still didn't work, ordered camber plates but there wasn't enough adjustment, my cuts on the strut tower were more than the plates, but what i noticed was that when i jack up the car i can see the tires straightening out, as i lower the car back down it looks great, even when i run straight it looks great, but as soon as i start taking turns the negative camber appears, could it have anything to do with the part that stabilizer bar link mounts on too (((i think its called the stabilzer bar))) (the metal part that mounts onto the stabilizer bar link and stabilizer bar bushings) couldn't find it new!! i think that the part(((stabilizer bar))) (the metal part that mounts onto the stabilizer bar link and stabilizer bar bushings) was pushed lower and is causing my negative camber to appear... please help me out!!!!!
moy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 02:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, did you check if the wheel bearings are good? It might also be bad ball joints or control arm bushings. Try to rock the tires back and forth with the wheel in the air. Everything should be tight.

Sway bar end links should not affect the alignment. It shouldn't matter if their connected or not.

Having the alignment numbers would help so we can know what's going on. Is the negative camber issue on both sides or just one side.

If it's just one side, the subframe might have shifted or is loose. If the subframe moves it will screw up the camber on both sides (one side will get more positive and the other will get more negative).

BTW, I sure hope you're an honest salesman that will disclose this kind of stuff to any potential buyers.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
moy

i'll go back and ask for the numbers but in the mean time, the wheel bearings are good, ball joints new, control arm is new so it comes with new bushings, and also i know its not the stabilizer bar (link).... i think it might be the the stabilizer bar, not the link, the stabilizer bar is where the link mounts on too, and the stabilizer (bar) also mounts to the stabilizer bar bushings, it's not the sub frame because both front tires have negative camber. PLEASE HELP!
BTW, I AM
Old 11-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

The sway bar will not cause alignment issues. Go ahead and remove both links if you want to rule that out, it won't even be touching the suspension then. You can drive the car without the links in. The sway bar may clatter around a bit over bumps though. Just more body roll without the links in.

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
moy

i know its not the links, what i was talking was the actual bar that mounts to the bushing. if i were to remove the link, then i wouldn't really be ruling it out.. How high is the stabilizer bar(sway bar) not the link!! suppose to be off the ground? if you were to measure it from an even surface through out the whole car??
Old 11-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 3934
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 2002 SES Vulcan
willyum has a spectacular aura about

How many degrees are you talking about? Taurus' DO have front end negative camber.
willyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
moy

Since this is a first for me, i dont know how to calculate it in degrees but for the mean time i'll give you my measurements

_top of wheel about 1'' 3/16

_bottom of wheel about 1'' 13/16

Does anybody know that measurement for the Stabilizer bar(sway bar) not the sway bar link, off of an even ground???
Old 11-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'm just not understanding correctly. If the sway bar isn't connected to the struts, how could it cause negative camber? Or rather, any alignment changes at all?

2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Old 11-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
moy

Yes everything is connected the way it should be.....The stabilizer bar(sway bar) attaches to the sway bar link and the sway bar link attaches to the strut, i feel as if my sway bar is sitting to low, and like i said negative camber only appears when i take turns, so maybe my low sway bar is causing the sway bar link to bring the strut lower or inward...
Old 11-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Okay, so lets rule it out by removing the sway bar links. Then the sway bar won't be connected to the struts and won't force it to have a negative camber. So if you take the links off and then there is still the camber we know it's not the sway bar.

2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement