New disc brakes...thump thump thump - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 33492
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1996 GL White..3.0 OHV plain jane but she does what I ask her to do.
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
GL96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New disc brakes...thump thump thump

Well, I just put a set of rotors and pads (front) on Squeezes 99 SEL...everything was fine for a day or so then suddenly....it thumps when braking. Can't really feel anything thru the pedal, the thump slows down as the car slows, no shimmy or shake, just an annoying thump as I brake. Braking distance does not seem affected.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advance.
GL96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 33869
Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Drives: 2000 Taurus SE 3.0 OHV Vulcan
Trader Score: 1 reviews
downhill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL96 View Post
Well, I just put a set of rotors and pads (front) on Squeezes 99 SEL...everything was fine for a day or so then suddenly....it thumps when braking. Can't really feel anything thru the pedal, the thump slows down as the car slows, no shimmy or shake, just an annoying thump as I brake. Braking distance does not seem affected.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advance.
Are you sure the pads are in the caliper correctly. Are the caliper brackets good and tight. Check out before you have to look out~~~!!! I have no clue how good you did the job?? But something is loose and moving. You need to look and find it for safety !!!
downhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
fct
Devoted Member

Member Number: 10774
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 1999 Duratec
fct has a spectacular aura about

I replaced my StopTech brake pads with Wagner thermoquet. The rotors are practically new, so I kept them. I also hear clack-clack kind of sound when car is traveling at about 30mph or so. It stops when I apply brakes. My first guess is that my older brake pads were a tiny bit less wide than the new ones and created a tiny lip on the outside diameter of the rotors. Anyways, I am thinking of disassembling and putting everything back together some day to make sure I didn't forget something when changing brake pads. If this doesn't help, I'll have the rotors turned next step.
fct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 348
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 1986 Ford Taurus LX wagon
radioflyer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to radioflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL96 View Post

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advance.
I would immediately check that everything has been tightened down to spec. New rotors are known to have become warped just by sitting on uneven shelves or improper storage. That would've been my first thought but you said everything was fine right off the bat. If the rotors you got were indeed warped from the get go then you would've had that symptom from the first test drive. Sounds like to me something has come loose. Did you also replace the hardware such as abutment clips? If you did'nt then you might want to look into getting those replaced.
radioflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 33492
Drives: 1996 GL White..3.0 OHV plain jane but she does what I ask her to do.
GL96 is an unknown quantity at this point

First off, thanks to all who responded to my post. I appreciate your input.

I took the brakes apart this evening, cleaned all the bolts, mating faces etc. Re-torqued the bracket and caliper bolts to spec, used blue Locktite on the bolts, pads are greased and seated proper, all hardware was new at installation.

The thump (more of a knock than a thump) went away. For a while. Then it went away. Then it came back. Then it went away again. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Would anyone have any other suggestion or is it time to bring it into a shop.

Thanks again.
GL96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

You checked/lubed the slides right? You're also sure it's in the front brakes (no noise when using the parking brake)?

It's possible it's just the pads and brakes bedding in. Otherwise it could be a loose suspension component (tie rods, ball joint, bad wheel bearings). You might have also gotten a defective brake rotor that's out of true.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
fct
Devoted Member

Member Number: 10774
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 1999 Duratec
fct has a spectacular aura about

Today I took the wheel off to take a look. The lug nuts were pretty lose which is scary. I don't know how this happened. Perhaps I tightened them by hand but forgot to torque them.
fct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 51511
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2002 Taurus SEL DOHC Torador Red, 51K miles
Sardog is an unknown quantity at this point

What condition is the rest of the suspension in? Maybe what should be felt as a warped rotor is transferring the energy to a bad ball joint or endlink and causing a thumping sound. Did you clean and lube your caliper pins?

1966 Ford Galaxie 7 Litre, love my 428
1997 Ford F250 CCSB 5" lift and a mean 460
2001 Ford Taurus SEL 3.0 DOHC "wife's car"
2011 Ford Focus SES "my commuter car"
Sardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 51426
Chapter: Northern
Drives: 2006 Taurus SE 3.0 2003 Taurus SES 3.0
Tom S will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioflyer View Post
I would immediately check that everything has been tightened down to spec. New rotors are known to have become warped just by sitting on uneven shelves or improper storage. That would've been my first thought but you said everything was fine right off the bat. If the rotors you got were indeed warped from the get go then you would've had that symptom from the first test drive. Sounds like to me something has come loose. Did you also replace the hardware such as abutment clips? If you did'nt then you might want to look into getting those replaced.

I am interested in hearing your source on the underlined part. I believe non-true rotors right out of the box but I am not quite seeing that for a cause. I did a little searching online about this and see some info on this but nothing from the right kind of source to convince me.
1988 Taurus 3.0 retired
1996 F-250 Powerstroke 75k lots of mods like new
2009 Impala LTZ 3.9 11k

Last edited by Tom S; 12-18-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 25751
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: (2) 2001 Taurus and 2006 Taurus
Automender12345 is a glorious beacon of lightAutomender12345 is a glorious beacon of light

While I was replacing my struts on the front I put a bottle juck under one rotor to lift the knuckle. Stupid!!!!! I got everything back together and I had a thumping on one side, only while braking. After driving it got better and then worst. I finally swaped rotors from side to side and thumping switched sides. I bought a new rotor on the thumping side and all fixed. If the thumping switches on yours when you switch rotors you may ahve a cracked or warped rotor.
Automender12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement