Shaking and bouncing - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 51168
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1999 Mercury Sable LS Wagon Torreador Red, 3.0L Vulcan V6 Ford Taurus fro
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
dbeach84 has a spectacular aura about
Default Shaking and bouncing

Just got my new (to me) '99 Sable wagon home tonight. I drove it about 30 miles this evening and noticed that it shakes and shudders alot. It's not transmission shudder...its as if there's nothing soaking up the bumps. The whole car's frame shakes and it crashes over bumps. Even on the newly-paved road to my house, it shimmies and vibrates. It's not horrible, but it's a bit alarming for a car that's more "comfortable" than I'm used to (having just moved out of a '97 Neon). I understand that my car is a junkyard special so there's a good chance something could be bent or misaligned, but I need to know where to start looking before I take it into the mechanic. My guess is either shocks gone bad or maybe even subframe bushings. Any ideas?
dbeach84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 5295
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE 3.0L Vulcan Bought with 111,432KM in October of 2012
the_intimidator_02 is a jewel in the rough

Sub-frame bushings, control arm bushings, strut mounts/struts. Could almost anything, only way to know for sure is to look it over and verify what is good and what needs replaced. Replace what needs to be replaced to eliminate the obvious stuff. You can't do a good diagnosis on something like that till you eliminate the things that can contribute to a problem.

Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.

The Human race is governed by it's own imagination.

Please don't steal, the government can't stand the competition.
the_intimidator_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Drives: 1999 Mercury Sable LS Wagon Torreador Red, 3.0L Vulcan V6 Ford Taurus fro

I've got an appointment with a local garage on Monday to check the front and rear end, subframe, brakes, and wheel alignment. I had a $4K budget when I went to look for a car and since this one was only 3/4 of that, I'm gonna put the rest into making it run and drive as good as I can. At least (that I can tell, browsing around online), parts seem to be extremely reasonable. Even the struts on my little Neon cost about 50% more than what I'm seeing.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

They made over 9.5 million of these cars on a slightly modified platform for 1986-2007 model years. More cars, cheaper prices And plenty of sharing of parts too helps between the different years.

-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K - FOR SALE, See Thread: click

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

So many suspension things to look for... I'd guess struts (quik struts are only about $110 each plus labor unless you do it), any bushings (subframe or control arm), sway bar links, ball joints....

Hey, a good driving car is a good thing to have. Could just need an alignment too!

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

Member Number: 40467
Drives: 2004 SEL Duratec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Ben is a name known to allBen is a name known to all

Check out all the parts on Rock Auto as well before you go buy them elsewhere. Lots of times they have discount codes posted here.

[SOLD]2004 SEL Premium, 72,700 miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

The Toy
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, White, T5, built motor/driveline, race suspension, fast/loud as f*ck
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well, got it back from the garage today. The back rotors were pretty rusty so they replaced those with the pads, tightened up the sagging e-brake cable, did a front and rear alignment, and re-balanced the tires. They told me they thought the struts were good and so were the bushings. Said I'd probably need rear tires before long. Paid $300 and went on my way.

Yup, still shaking.

Even on a perfectly smooth road, there's a constant light shimmy in the steering wheel, and you can feel a quivering vibration through the wheel and gas pedal. On bumpier pavement, the whole structure quivers - hit a bump, feel the vibration through the whole structure of the wagon. Even closing the doors causes a bit more body quiver than I would think is normal. The vibrations are most noticeable between 30-60 mph. Above 60, it starts to fade, although the bumps still cause quivers. It's there while braking too, but it's not rotor shake, brakes are smooth. I'm running out of money in my repair budget so I can't afford to replace every suspension component...it's not that the car is undrivable, I mean, I've certainly seen worse vibration in cars, but it's annoying and makes me worry lol. I'm at a loss as to where I should put money next, and maybe wondering if I shouldn't get a second opinion from another garage...

Thoughts?

- 1999 Mercury Sable LS Wagon - 3.0l Vulcan -AX4N - Toreador Red on gray - Ford Taurus front end (salvage car) - 81K original miles
- 1997 Dodge Neon - 2.0L SOHC - Red w/ Silver rally stripes - Mildly upgraded - 270K miles and still going...

"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later."
- Ford Prefect, from "Life, The Universe, and Everything" by Douglas Adams

Old 11-20-2012, 01:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

I would pass judgment until you get new tires. Even though they balanced the tires, sometimes you can't get them perfect. Their balancing machine might be old or out of calibration.

Despite what they said, you still might have some worn-out suspension components. I would try another shop.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 43484
Drives: Taurus 2000 SES 12-valve
Architect is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeach84 View Post

<snip>
On bumpier pavement, the whole structure quivers - hit a bump, feel the vibration through the whole structure of the wagon. Even closing the doors causes a bit more body quiver than I would think is normal.
<snip>
This is not solved with new tires.

At your next visit I would specifically ask them to have a careful look at the ball-joints.
Architect is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Got new tires finally...General AltiMax RTs...I like them so far, some of thr vibration is gone but it still crashes over bumps and there's a shimmy in the steering while...the steering is a bit sloppy, although Im used to the tighter steering in my Neon. Sometimes I have to readjust the steering a bit, as if the tires arent going where I point them. There's a noticable clunk when going over larger bumps at lower speeds. There doesnt seem to be any play in the wheels when grabbed at either the 9-3 or 12-6 positions. I'm going to try to get it into a local shop that was recommended to me but getting off from work to do it might take a while.

- 1999 Mercury Sable LS Wagon - 3.0l Vulcan -AX4N - Toreador Red on gray - Ford Taurus front end (salvage car) - 81K original miles
- 1997 Dodge Neon - 2.0L SOHC - Red w/ Silver rally stripes - Mildly upgraded - 270K miles and still going...

"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later."
- Ford Prefect, from "Life, The Universe, and Everything" by Douglas Adams

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.