Rear caliper piston stuck? - '98 taurus - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 17425
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
StLCards has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Rear caliper piston stuck? - '98 taurus

Went to replace my rear disk brakes on my 98 taurus. "Borrowed" a disc brake caliper tool set from O'Reilly's Auto Parts. Took about half the fluid out of the master cylinder and left it open. Piston wouldn't budge either way. The tool has a handle on the end of it and not a socket fitting, but even tried a breaker bar and only managed to bend the handle of the tool.

Is the piston seized in the caliper? I was going to buy new calipers but the store told me to open the bleeder valve, and didn't seem to believe that the piston wasn't budging.

Opened the bleeder valve and still wouldn't budge. Actually when I opened the bleeder valve only a little bit of brake fluid dribbled out.

Does it sound like I need a new caliper or is there potentially something else going on?

I am working on the driver side and haven't tried the other side yet. If I do have to replace the caliper, then how do I get the parking break cable off of the housing? I've got the cable out of the retaining clip, but it seems to go through a hole in the body as well. It was kind of dark, cold, and rainy so maybe I just wasn't looking carefully?

Right now this is my only car so I really need to get it back together.

I should add that I was trying a clockwise rotation to compress it, but it wouldn't move counterclockwise either.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by StLCards; 11-27-2011 at 09:04 PM.
StLCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't screw in the piston, then you probably need a new caliper. Are you turning it in the right way (clockwise)? You have to push in and turn at the same time. I would put silicone grease around the edges of the piston so it slides easily inside the rubber bushing.

Last edited by behlinla; 11-27-2011 at 09:09 PM.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wouldn't go either way. Is it common for them to seize up?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

If the piston hadn't moved in a long time (air in it?) and it lived in really wet and salty conditions, then it might. This happens in maybe 10% of cases?

Removing the parking brake cable should be fairly simple. Here's a how to:Ford Taurus SEL Im changing the two rear calapers and roters - JustAnswer
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

Member Number: 37681
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 01 Sable Wagon Duratec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud of

When I did the brakes in my wagon I had to replace one of the calipers as well. It siezed up from being so over extended and the boot being torn that the piston rusted.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

The piston is definitely extended as the outside pad was next to nothing. Last year, or maybe two years ago, I had to replace all the metal brake lines as they rusted all the way through.

Seems like I read something about a rubber brake line could be collapsed. Would that be readily noticeable or cause the piston not to move?

Thanks for the link on removing the brake cable. Looks like I just need to get the e clip off and I should be good there.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35327
Drives: 2007 sel
Trader Score: 2 reviews
Bigdogg2830 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLCards View Post
The piston is definitely extended as the outside pad was next to nothing. Last year, or maybe two years ago, I had to replace all the metal brake lines as they rusted all the way through.

Seems like I read something about a rubber brake line could be collapsed. Would that be readily noticeable or cause the piston not to move?

Thanks for the link on removing the brake cable. Looks like I just need to get the e clip off and I should be good there.
a collapsed line is noticeable. but there might be a ton of junk in the caliper from being old. this will stop the piston from going back in. the dirt blocks the passages.
Bigdogg2830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 43818
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2010 Taurus SHO
mjhpadi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLCards View Post
Wouldn't go either way. Is it common for them to seize up?
It seems to be fairly common, we had the same problem on our Sable and on our 04 Explorer. Both required to have the rear calipers replaced and I would think it happens on cars that are daily drivers and see a fair amount of bad wear. It is the down side to disc brakes.
2010 Ford Taurus SHO-Livernois 4+X Tune, Airaid CAI, Caliper Covers, Tinted Taillights, Tinted Headlights, LED Interior Lighting, LED Puddle Lamps and License Lights, SHO Hood Stripes, Rearranged Trunk Badging, 3 Bar MAP Sensor, 160 Evenflo Thermostat, V3 Triton Switchback LED Front Parking/Turn Signal
2004 Ford Explorer Limited-Wife's Tow Vehicle
1999 Mercury Sable LS-Our "Beatermobile"
1999 Ford Taurus SE Wagon-'Our Family Truckster"
mjhpadi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 43940
Drives: 1998 Ford Taurus, 130K miles
batterycharged is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if it makes a difference but did you take the cap off the reservoir?
batterycharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

I did take the cap off the reservoir as well as opened the bleeder valve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement