Brake pedal goes all the way to the floor before any deacceleration happens?? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 43204
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus OHV Vulcan
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
josh101689 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brake pedal goes all the way to the floor before any deacceleration happens??

This just started happening a few days ago. I have to press the brake pedal all the way to the floor to get it to stop. Even then it sounds bad. If i pump it then it kinda slows down but not that much. Whats wrong? Im gonna take the tire off and see if it needs brake pads. Could it be a caliper? Not sure how the calipers work. Any advice would be great cuz i dont wanna keep running it like this. Thanks
josh101689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35327
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2007 sel
Trader Score: 2 reviews
Bigdogg2830 is a jewel in the rough

Im thinking you got a leak. look at the master and see if it has fluid in it
Bigdogg2830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

^+1 on both possible scenarios.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

It is possible there is a leak. I dont see it now but when i took it in for an oil change a few months ago the brake light was on and asked them to take a look. The technician said the master cylinder needed to be replaced and it was leaking fluid on the back wall. He refilled it and the light went off. I havent had the light turn on yet and the fluid is still at a decnet level. Could it still be that? Also i had someone else say it looked like the caliper was leaking fluid by just looking at the tire? Im thinking its the master cylinder from what I have read. Do i have to do anything special when changing it since it has ABS??
Old 11-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35327
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2007 sel
Trader Score: 2 reviews
Bigdogg2830 is a jewel in the rough

we i guess you know what the problem is. the mechanic told you, you have a bad master cylinder. you should have replaced it sooner instead of waiting and seeing. from what you describe about the pedal i am guessing you have blown the master. thee is a chance now that the booster maybe shot also since you delayed in the repair.
I hope you are not driving this car around knowing the brakes are bad.
if by chance the booster is still good. you might get off cheap with just a new master. Hopefully you wont get air trapped in the abs module. ( very slim chance ) once air gets into the abs you need a scanner to trip the abs to get the air out. ( local ford dealer visit )
Bigdogg2830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35029
Drives: 1996 Sable LS, 3.0L V6 24V Duratec, AX4N
SoNic67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh101689 View Post
...but when i took it in for an oil change a few months ago the brake light was on and asked them to take a look. The technician said the master cylinder needed to be replaced and it was leaking fluid on the back wall...
I will be blunt: Instead of fixing the brake system (like you are required by law), you kept driving it. Luckly you didn't kill nobody. Yet.
If you don't know how the brakes are working, don't attempt to "fix it". By now, probably you have no fluid left in the master cylinder, probably you have air in ABS...

PS: "Operating an unsafe vehicle" in Virginia is a 6 point violation (like recless driving, driving while intoxicated, diving with suspended license, etc) and stays in the record for 11 years.

Last edited by SoNic67; 11-09-2011 at 10:59 AM.
SoNic67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
I will be blunt: Instead of fixing the brake system (like you are required by law), you kept driving it. Luckly you didn't kill nobody. Yet.
If you don't know how the brakes are working, don't attempt to "fix it". By now, probably you have no fluid left in the master cylinder, probably you have air in ABS...

PS: "Operating an unsafe vehicle" in Virginia is a 6 point violation (like recless driving, driving while intoxicated, diving with suspended license, etc) and stays in the record for 11 years.
Yeah ok buddy. The brakes worked fine after he filled it with fluid. So I wasnt just purposely running around with no brakes. The pedal just recently went all the way to the floor. And no, there is plenty of fluid still in the resevoir. I didnt post this to hear about laws and other crap. I just want to know how I should go about fixing it. Do i actually have to bleed each individual brake? I know how to put the new master cylinder in and bleed that. What are some precautions and steps I should do?
Old 11-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 17456
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 1992 Ford Taurus LX 3.8L 237k hard driven miles.
ericf is an unknown quantity at this point

go down to an auto parts store or online and get yourself a Haynes or Chiltons manual. It will give you step by step instructions on how to bleed the brakes, replace the master cylinder and whatever else relating to brakes. It's an investment.. pays for itself after the first use.
ericf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35029
Drives: 1996 Sable LS, 3.0L V6 24V Duratec, AX4N
SoNic67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh101689 View Post
So I wasnt just purposely running around with no brakes.
But in two months you didn't bother to fix the ORIGINAL leak either (that even you noticed). Did you really think that filling the reservoair fixed the leak? Of course not.

You might be young (based on the username, 22) but you should now by now that driving a car implies more than just filling it with gas.
Remaing without brakes while you are driving on highway with 70mph can kill you (or others). Waiting that to happen, before you ask the question, is what I was blunt about.
SoNic67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

^HAHAHAHA that guy is trip.

Thanks guys. The auto parts store only has a Haynes manual for Taurus' up to 1997 and I have been to a couple. Anywho i will just attempt it based on the knowledge I gained from the interwebs. Should I bleed the brakes after I install the new master cylinder or after?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement