Strut Mount broke into 2 pieces - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 1934
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
ken_23434 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Strut Mount broke into 2 pieces

Like many out there, I have been dealing w/ front end "clunks" for a while. I have changed end links, ball joints, strut mounts, mount bearings... etc...

Some times, when I replace some thing the noise goes away, but it usually returns in a few months.

I have had a slight clunk for the past 9 months or so. I just got tired of always trying to fix it, and decided to deal w/ it.

Well, I lent my car to a friend who had been having some of her own troubles. When I got it back, I noticed the rear of the right side of the hood seemed to be sticking up a little. I did not really look into it much. I pushed down and noticed a little bit of movement. I thought the hinge might be wearing out a little.

I continued to drive my truck for a few more days, until this AM. The knock seemed a little worse the am on my way to work, but I dismissed it thinking I was just noticing it more since I had not driven the Sable for a few weeks.

On the way home from work, I noticed the hood "bouncing" a little. I figured my friend had accidentally pulled the hood release. It was popped to that first release position.

I pulled off at the next exit to check it out. The hood would not shut. I opened it to see what was wrong. Initially, I did not see anything. I was looking near the latch. Then I noticed the passenger side strut was about 3" above the strut tower. OMG !!! The top of the strut had poked a hole in the first layer under the hood. The rubber portion of the strut mount had separated w/ the inside portion (about 1") was at the top of the strut near the washer and the nut, looking like a normal shock bushing.

I have never hear of that before. The hood does not appear to be bent, so that is good news. I am not sure if something had been going bad in that mount and that was the slight knock I had been hearing or not. Hopefully, it was.

Looks like another day of pulling the front end apart again.

I will get a pic when I get a chance.

99 Sable LS
ken_23434 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Wow....dang. Never heard of that happening before. Definitely want to see a picture of that. Glad no accident happened because of it...coulda been bad...

-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K - FOR SALE, See Thread: click

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2010, 05:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 5295
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE 3.0L Vulcan Bought with 111,432KM in October of 2012
the_intimidator_02 is a jewel in the rough

I've seen mounts separate like that before. If they don't get replace when the problem first start, they eventually end up breaking like that.

Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.

The Human race is governed by it's own imagination.

Please don't steal, the government can't stand the competition.
the_intimidator_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 1934
ken_23434 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_intimidator_02 View Post
I've seen mounts separate like that before. If they don't get replace when the problem first start, they eventually end up breaking like that.
For my education and any others that might read this thread...

What exactly is the starting point of a strut mount going bad? What area specifically should we look at to detect a problem starting?

Honestly, I looked closely at the top of the mount about a month ago. I was checking the oil, and I gave a look-see around the entire engine bay. I specifically remember looking at the top of the strut mount and where my strut brace mounts. At that time, I did not see anything that I would consider unusual.

99 Sable LS
ken_23434 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

There's no real way to see the problems. Usually they start with a popping/clunk kind of noise. From that you would have to listen close to the mount. If the mount get's bad enough, you can hear it popping while standing over the mount either boucing the car yourself or have someone do it for you. I had a front mount on my car staring to split in the rubber portion. It never made any noise, the only reason I found it, was because I was installing new strut at the time. It was no worry though, I never replace struts without changing the mounts at the same time.

Even looking at your mounts a month prior, you may not have seen anything if it started to seperate from below.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 25569
Vashthestanbeto has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Sorry but can you specify under what circumstances do they make that noise? I have had the front struts making a pretty loud noise when going over bumps or cornering at high speed ever since we installed Paul's used koni struts. do you think it's possibly the strut mounts too? I've been suspecting them since the endlinks are tight and the strut themselves seems solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_intimidator_02 View Post
There's no real way to see the problems. Usually they start with a popping/clunk kind of noise. From that you would have to listen close to the mount. If the mount get's bad enough, you can hear it popping while standing over the mount either boucing the car yourself or have someone do it for you. I had a front mount on my car staring to split in the rubber portion. It never made any noise, the only reason I found it, was because I was installing new strut at the time. It was no worry though, I never replace struts without changing the mounts at the same time.

Even looking at your mounts a month prior, you may not have seen anything if it started to seperate from below.
Vashthestanbeto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

You'll hear them when the car is basically bouncing, like going over bumps. Also if you're getting a clunk, make sure to check the sway bar mount bushings. They do wear over time and when they do, they allow the sway bar to move in the bushings causing a noise as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.