Thumping While Braking - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 18747
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
boomer73 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have a 2002 that I'm ready to push off a cliff because of all its little issues. The latest:

When braking I have a thumping coming from the passenger front wheel. It is slightly more pronounced when turning while braking. I can actually feel it through the floor/steering column, its not just a sound. It's smooth as glass at all speeds when the brakes aren't applied. I just had the rotors and pads replaced thinking it was a warped rotor. But it is even more pronounced now that the brakes are fresh. The mechanic isn't sure what the issue is. He thinks in might be a CV joint, but i can tell he's guessing, that its not a particularly educated guess, and I always seem to end up paying extra for guessing mechanics. I'm almost as sick of that as paying out the ass for dealer service.

Anyone have any better ideas?

-B
boomer73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 19161
nitromadman32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

here's an few idea that i have in mind. i apologize in advance if it isnt helpful.

but i've had my own share of issues with my brakes. i have a 2004 SE. my suggestions could be that you need to have your rotors turned. but a typical thumping in the brakes is legitimately common among tauruses, in that the ABS braking system (in my opinion sucks) causes the rapid thumping. in stead of a straight up hault on the rotors the calipers rapidly "thump" the rotors. like i said sorry if this doesnt help but that was my idea.
nitromadman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

QUOTE (nitromadman32 @ Apr 18 2009, 05:57 PM)
Quote:
here's an few idea that i have in mind. i apologize in advance if it isnt helpful.

but i've had my own share of issues with my brakes. i have a 2004 SE. my suggestions could be that you need to have your rotors turned. but a typical thumping in the brakes is legitimately common among tauruses, in that the ABS braking system (in my opinion sucks) causes the rapid thumping. in stead of a straight up hault on the rotors the calipers rapidly "thump" the rotors. like i said sorry if this doesnt help but that was my idea.[/b]
As I mentioned in my first post, rotors and pads are new and the calipers were thoroughly inspected during the rotor/pad replacement. There is nothing wrong with them. I'm slightly irritated they were replaced at all as they were obviously not the problem, though it won't kill me to have new rotors/pads.

This sound is a bang, bang, bang or knock, knock, knock when I apply the brakes. If I'm doing 60 and I stand on the brakes its like a hammer. Its not subtle or anything anyone would miss unless it was pointed out. It's a "what the hell is that", grossly obvious, whacking sound. If I turn hard left it's really harsh. Feather the brakes though and you won't hear or feel it. This just started all of a sudden one day with no warning by the way.

Before the mech pulls the cv/half shaft I'm going to have him try disconnecting the ABS sensor on that wheel just for sh*ts and giggles.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 14862
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: a fox.
mckpat03 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to mckpat03

Coincidentally, I'm having, what sounds like, the same problem. Front passenger. Knocking when braking. I don't know about when turning as I was just going through town. Just had brakes done, though, and I heard it the first time i braked and every stop then on. Its definitely pretty loud and noticeable. Possibly something loose, or not reinstalled properly in the caliper or something? It's not a brake deposit/warped rotor type of thumping either.

1998 Taurus SE - RIP
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Anyone?? Any ideas? Two people with the same problem, and nobody else has had/resolved this issue before?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Also, I dont know about Boomer... but for me, the noise occurs relative to the rotation of the rotor. so it happens at a point or time relative to the motion of the rotor. the slower i'm moving, the "slower" the noise or it "thumps" less frequently, per say.

1998 Taurus SE - RIP
Old 04-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

QUOTE (mckpat03 @ Apr 20 2009, 12:13 PM)
Quote:
Also, I dont know about Boomer... but for me, the noise occurs relative to the rotation of the rotor. so it happens at a point or time relative to the motion of the rotor. the slower i'm moving, the "slower" the noise or it "thumps" less frequently, per say.[/b]
Yep. The speed of the thumping is proportional to the rotation of the hub. The sound of the thump is also consistent in its timing - it is not an erratic thumping.

Just talked to the mechanic - he has mine apart as I type this and is still baffled. This is going to the dealer if its not identified by the end of the day.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well, I took the car back to the shop. They said "oh we can't see anything wrong, we'll just turn the rotor, its probably a high spot." Contrary to what i believed, i let them do it, mainly because i wasnt paying anything. If that was in fact the problem, it must have been a difference of about a whole inch. it was an awfully bad thump/noise/shimmy/shake/whatever you want to call it. For now i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say the problem is fixed. We'll see though.

1998 Taurus SE - RIP
Old 04-20-2009, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 18385
ThxAOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Just a point of reference. I once did a complete front brake job on my 92 Mustang 5.0 replacing pads, rotors and guide sleeves. The resultant brake hammering as you described was unbearable. The old brakes were better.

I took the NEW rotors into the parts store and the parts guy chucked them up on the lathe and could not believe how bad they were.

He proceeded to give me a new set of rotors, wheel seals etc. I then politely asked if he could chuck up the new new ones and check them before I left. He gladly obliged, understanding the frustration I had gone through. I heard a few normal sound from the back room, then some swearing and then the sound of a new rotor impacting a concrete wall at a high rate of speed.

The moral of the story is that new parts are not always good parts!
ThxAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 19360
jarhedch has a little shameless behaviour in the past

replace the wheel bearing on that side, the braking adds load to the bearing and the noise changing while turning is the final indicator.
jarhedch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement