Soft Brakes. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 18060
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Gunner208 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hello, new member. Forgive me if I am posting this incorrectly. I have an 07 Taurus SE with 46,000 miles on it. Mostly Highway. Occasionally the brakes will feel spongy and much less responsive. I inspected the pads and they are well over 60%. I bled the brakes and this did not solve the occasional spongyness. I am not sure if it is the master cylindar or not. Is there a known issue with the master cylindars on these year Taurus'? Thanks!
Gunner208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Original pads or some aftermarket ones?
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 640
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus SEL
qwertz9586 will become famous soon enough

Back-up in reverse and slam the brakes. This triggers the self-adjustment in the drums.

[ 2003 Ford Taurus SEL ] - [ 1995 Mercury Sable GS ]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
qwertz9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Original pads or some aftermarket ones?
[/b]
They are the original pads.

Quote:
Back-up in reverse and slam the brakes. This triggers the self-adjustment in the drums.
[/b]
I tried that a few months ago and I do not recall it making much of a difference. I will try it again as soon as the ice melts in my driveway. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 17509
austex04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Hello, new member. Forgive me if I am posting this incorrectly. I have an 07 Taurus SE with 46,000 miles on it. Mostly Highway. Occasionally the brakes will feel spongy and much less responsive. I inspected the pads and they are well over 60%. I bled the brakes and this did not solve the occasional spongyness. I am not sure if it is the master cylindar or not. Is there a known issue with the master cylindars on these year Taurus'? Thanks!
[/b]
Do you hear any creaking/binding sound when you push down hard on the brake pedal? I had my master cylinder replaced under warrany at 52k, but these cars always had a mushy brake pedal, even when new. The dealer said they see a lot of Taurus' in there for that problem, usually around this mileage. Mine feels a little firmer after they put in a new cylinder, but is still mushy by my opinion. I still have the original brakes on mine at 68k, I have about +40% in the fronts-mostly highway miles of course! When the brakes feel spongy, is it after stop and go driving? This is called fade, it happens when the brakes get very hot, like in heavy city traffic. The harder ceramic brake pads are more prone to heat build up. Try to anticipate stops and leave some distance, your brakes and insurance company will thank you.
austex04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Do you hear any creaking/binding sound when you push down hard on the brake pedal? I had my master cylinder replaced under warrany at 52k, but these cars always had a mushy brake pedal, even when new. The dealer said they see a lot of Taurus' in there for that problem, usually around this mileage. Mine feels a little firmer after they put in a new cylinder, but is still mushy by my opinion. I still have the original brakes on mine at 68k, I have about +40% in the fronts-mostly highway miles of course! When the brakes feel spongy, is it after stop and go driving? This is called fade, it happens when the brakes get very hot, like in heavy city traffic. The harder ceramic brake pads are more prone to heat build up. Try to anticipate stops and leave some distance, your brakes and insurance company will thank you.
[/b][/quote]
Now that I think of it there is sometimes a point at about 1/4 pedal where it feels like there is a binding on the pedal. It almost feels like pushing through a small piece of ice. There is not any abnormal sounds except for mild squeeking under light braking at low speed. There has always been noticeable fade in city driving but the soft brakes pedal is intermittent no matter the temperature or the driving conditions. Thanks for the post about the master cylindar.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

[/quote]
Now that I think of it there is sometimes a point at about 1/4 pedal where it feels like there is a binding on the pedal. It almost feels like pushing through a small piece of ice. There is not any abnormal sounds except for mild squeeking under light braking at low speed. There has always been noticeable fade in city driving but the soft brakes pedal is intermittent no matter the temperature or the driving conditions. Thanks for the post about the master cylindar.
[/quote]
I wonder how many other people with the '07's had this problem besides us. I wonder if a recall may be in order? At least the master cylinder is a pretty cheap part on these cars. Once mine was replaced, it made a world of difference in the brake pedal feel, was yours manufactured sept of '06? Could be a bad batch of master cylinders.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 is an unknown quantity at this point

You should go to the NHTS site and file a complaint.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
[/quote]
I wonder how many other people with the '07's had this problem besides us. I wonder if a recall may be in order? At least the master cylinder is a pretty cheap part on these cars. Once mine was replaced, it made a world of difference in the brake pedal feel, was yours manufactured sept of '06? Could be a bad batch of master cylinders.
[/quote]
Manufactured 04/06. Glad I purchased the extended warranty.

Quote:
You should go to the NHTS site and file a complaint.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/
[/b]
Thats not a bad idea. I will see if the local dealer has seen much of this as well. With all the Taurus' on the road in the area here I would hate to think of all the cars with potentially faulty brakes.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member

The service adviser at the dealer where I had the master cylinder replaced told me they seem to see a lot of them in around the same mileage, simular years, so there's a pattern of failed parts. I wonder how many other members on here also have had master cylinders fail around 50k?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement