Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

96 taurus gl cassette deck problems

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  ForrestBob 
#1 ·
Ive demagnetized and cleaned the cassette deck however when i put a cassette in the volume has to be cranked up to hear it and when or if i hit a bump it will then blast the volume. This does not happen when the radio by itself is going. What is this issue and how do i remedy it?

#4 ·
With the tape adapter, it's possible that the head may not align up exactly with the head in the player when inserted. I had this issue on a Ford radio because the wire came out right by a plastic stud, causing the adapter to be crocked and misaligned with the head. It only took a little effort to move the wire out of the way and allow the adapter to fully seat in the player, greatly improving the sound quality and volume. Another possibility could be a damaged wire going to the adapter.

If this happens with a normal cassette, you might have dirty switch contacts which toggles the head between the two sides of the tape. If the switch contacts are dirty, certain audio channels may go out, sound degraded or scratchy. Insert a regular cassette and reverse it several times. If what I mentioned comes and goes during reversing, then the contacts require cleaning. This requires you to pull out and disassemble the player in order to access the switch. Squirt a small amount of WD-40 into the switch to clean the contacts.

#5 ·
and this issue would affect the sound not only to go up and down in volume but to switch from speaker to speaker? I had that issue as well. It would be fine for a while then out of nowhere with a regular cassette in it would switch from the two front speakers to just the front left speaker and at a different volume. Sometimes way louder and sometimes quiet as a mouse.

#6 ·
Maybe an intermittent high resistance connection? Maybe start by removing the ICP (takes a minute with DIN tools) and disconnecting / reconnecting electrical connectors a few times. Do the same with the connectors on the RCU in the trunk.

#8 ·
I still use them occasionally since I repair and calibrate players. I used to make mix tapes for my older vehicles, but now most of my vehicles have with a CD player. (Too bad the G4 Taurus doesn't have MP3 capability). With the right recording equipment and tape, your recordings can sound as good or better then a CD. Problem is the cheaper blank tapes are all you can find nowadays, mostly at drug stores.

#9 ·
yes i do. I have some limited edition ones that i want to be able to play. I also have the mp3 adapter but i dont often use it. The 96 doesnt have a cd player or i would be using that and it would be a huge pain in the ass to switch it to cd since it has that weird oval shape and wasnt designed for aftermarket stereo parts. Would be nice if it was that easy.

#11 ·
There are kits available to make the jump into the 21st century much easier on these cars. There are reasonably priced head units which allow you access to all of your tapes, CDs, mp3 players, ipods & audio/video stored on thumb drives. You can even play a/v, wirelessly from your laptop, cell phone or tablet & use your audio system as a hands free device for your cell phone.
It may be a bit of a pain, but you only have to do it once & you'll be set for years of trouble free enjoyment.
Gator

#12 ·
I think all y'all are missing the point of using cassette in the first place. Perhaps it's nostalgia, or he just doesn't like to mess with his phone while driving (I can attest to that). Heck, I was rummaging through the basement and found all of my dad's old tapes, and their pretty good, so why bother buying them again on iTunes, eh?

Likewise, I was looking to repair my own tape player (2000 Taurus, can't be too much different, right?). All it needs are some new pinch rollers, and I'm good to go! (if anyone know what side/type, I would like to know.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.