Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Installing amp and sub on stock stereo - remote wire

26K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Exocet 
#1 ·
Howdy

I tried looking up what wire to tap into for the 'remote' of an amp i'm installing. The results were confusing as people were saying to use a powered fuse.

So my question is can I tap into the Black / Pink stripe wire in the back of the stereo? The wiring diagram says its a "+12 volt ignition wire".

Also, I'm using a line output converter and tapping into the rear speakers for the signal. Would you guys recommend me doing it from the dash or from the trunk?

Any replies appreciated!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
There are no remote wires back there.

I ended up tapping into the "Electrochromatic mirror" circuit that comes out of the SJB. Ran it along the drivers side under the trim plates and into the trunk

Turns the amp on whenever the radio has power

#8 ·
Use the +12V line for the power antenna (which I think is the red/pink wire). When the radio is on, the power antenna gets +12V signal, which causes it to go up. When you turn off the radio, it goes back to 0V, which causes the antenna to retract.

The power antenna has +12V for power (which is a different color wire).

I think there's also remote power in the CD player harness.

#10 · (Edited)
you want #2 light green / black "audio system on"
switches to +12 when head unit is turned on.

attached is a page from the '96 service manual
but colors were the same in my 2004 sable LS

#17 is "B+ hot in start" which Ford is using to mute the amplifier when you are starting the car. (not what I wanted)

Attachments

#11 ·
I think #10 will work also - Power Antenna (Up Signal). It's only on when the audio system is on.

#12 ·
yea I saw that also

which got me very confused as ford must have cost-reduced the power antenna option
& that wire was not installed in my wiring harness

although I'm sure the circuitry is still there in the RCU amp.

#13 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.