Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Removing rear view mirror from button

13K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  willyj5718 
#1 ·
I was attempting to pry this mirror off a car in the JY but the button came off the windshield. Sure, whatever, I'll just remove it later. Turns out that I have no idea how to remove it from the button when there's no longer anything to leverage against. Any ideas? I can't be the first one to be in this situation.

See less See more
#10 ·
Ah, I see. I'll consider it if I have no luck. Haven't had time to mess with it.

Slide a screwdriver in that slot, it should come off..sliding it in compresses the spring..
All my screwdrivers have too thick of a diameter after the wedge to fit in there all the way to compress the spring it seems :(

I took mine to a local auto glass shop. They popped it off in a couple of minutes. I had spent way too much time trying to get it to pop off.
Did they pop it off when it was in your car or did you have it out like me? My car just has the manual one which is really easy to pry off for some reason; there's no retention spring. With that said I might run it by a glass shop anyway and see if they can do it for a few bucks.

#9 ·
I took mine to a local auto glass shop. They popped it off in a couple of minutes. I had spent way too much time trying to get it to pop off.

#11 · (Edited)
I was in the same situation with a JY mirror. Mad to get out when is no support for the button, I clamped the spring with a channelock to be able to pull that button off - careful, it is angled and tends to slide and scratch the back side.

For the mirror on the windshield, the screwdriver has to be bent, otherwise doesn't fit.
Luckily my original mirror didn't have the spring, it just slid UP without any protests.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.