Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Disable PATS

15K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Kelly collins 
#1 ·
I know this is a subject that has been beat half to death, but as much as I have searched, I have seen no real answer.
Can the PATS system be disabled via programming or other means?
The car is a 2001 SE and has been a good car since purchased in 2002. runs good, looks good, never wrecked and regularly serviced. Recently, the PATS system started intermittently throwing a theft code. Usually after a few tries, it would clear and start. Now it won't start at all and it is throwing a no PATS communication code. Checked all wiring and fuses. Replaced transponder module. Checked wiring from transponder to PCM. Guess I am down to the PCM.
I already have too much money invested in a 14 year old car that is probably only worth 1500.00. My intention was to give this car to my granddaughter as her first car, but even if I get it working again, I'm worried that this flakey system will leave her stranded.
It's not like someone will try to steal a 14 yr old Taurus, so disabling the PATS seems to be the most logical option.

#2 ·
You would have to rebuild the car's entire electronics to get rid of the PATS. Who replaced the halo? How many working keys do you have for the car, and how old are they? Usually, the keys crap out first. Curious who told you to replace the halo and the module first.

#4 ·
I recently had the same issue with my 2002. had to get it towed to the dealer. They replaced the transceiver and reset the system. U can't just replace the transceiver, it needs to be reprogrammed afterwards. There is absolutely no other way. If you don't have 2 PATS keys, you have to pay for them to cut u a new one. It sucks having to go to the dealer for them to fix such an old car but unfortunately there's no alternative. Including the tow, I spent $550.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
I have 2 keys. about 8 years old. I've heard the keys don't die, but I'm open to trying anything. The battery is new and I even charged it overnight to rule out low voltage. In other locations, the transceiver was mentioned as the most likely cause.

I have ordered an interface and the software to reprogram the PATS. I'll try that along with new keys if necessary. If that works, I'll just move on.

If I have to have it towed the 40 miles to a dealer, it may just end up in the wrecking yard between my house and the dealer.

#7 ·
It would help to know what, if any, PATS codes are present.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.