How do I reactivate my stock keyless remote entry? 05 Taurus SE - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 54513
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0 L V6
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
CaseyD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I reactivate my stock keyless remote entry? 05 Taurus SE

Is there an easy fix to restore the useability of my stock keyless remote system after an aftermarket system was installed?

When I purchased my 05 Taurus SE I was given one key and no remotes. A month ago I finally got around to ordering a remote for it. Ford A2881 remote - FCC ID # CWTWB1U331. I attempted to program it to no avail (Entering programming mode - ignition on/off - worked and the doors locked) So I guessed like most problems I should start troubleshooting by checking fuses. I removed the panel under the steering wheel to see what Im thinking is a aftermarket system for both keyless entry & remote start. I've learned the receiver antenna (found above my rear view mirror semi tucked into the headliner) is a CodeAlarm brand. Part No.118C1123 - FCC ID ELVNTRCB. There is an (Express - brand) Universal Transponder Bypass (which I've learned is used in remote start systems, not sure if used for other things). There were also a couple other small boxes and wires galore. The remotes used for CodeAlarm systems are expensive and sophisticated. I don't want remote start (I have an interlock device), I just want my Ford Remote to lock/unlock the doors. I don't even care if all doors unlock with one press of the button. Can anyone think of an easy way to do this?

(tried attaching image - Flickr Images don't work on here?)

Thanks,
CaseyD

CaseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

So the locks cycled when you entered programing mode, but did they do anything when you pushed the remote button on the fob? If not, first confirm the battery in the transmitter is good. The other possibility is that your car did not come from the factory with remote keyless entry.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Behlinla, I did confirm that the FOB battery is good, and yes the locks cycled but not afterwards when I pressed the button on the FOB. I guess I cannot confirm if the remote works as it should since I don't have any vehicles to test it on.. Maybe the battery tester at Autozone or Pepboys can confirm whether its sending a signal or not. I'll do that next. CodeAlarm uses their own programming process for their system. I would think it's safe to assume that if your vehicle has a Ford programming mode for remote entry, it should have the capabilities, but I don't know and that's why I'm here. Also I'm not sure I understand why someone would add this function for no apparent reason.. Most "does my Ford have remote entry" questions end with testing it by trying to enter programming mode. I felt like I've ruled out the fact that it's not working because there is no stock system. Is there another way to test this?

Thanks!
CaseyD
Old 05-26-2013, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyD View Post
I would think it's safe to assume that if your vehicle has a Ford programming mode for remote entry, it should have the capabilities, but I don't know and that's why I'm here.
You can't assume that. Cars without keyless entry still do the lock cycle when you enter keyless entry program mode I believe.

It may also be possible your car did have keyless entry but the receiver failed and instead of replacing the GEM they added an aftermarket system.

Run your VIN through FordEtis and see if it lists remote entry.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks again, Fordetis showed "*With Door Entry Remote Control Unit". I guess the next step is to test the control module? I beleive i know which box it is. Im out of town but will test my remote once I return home to Houston later on today. I was relieved when I saw that it was a standard feature. Also i learned alot about my car via etis.ford.com. Any thoughts on what to do know?

Thanks,
CaseyD
Old 05-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Generally if remote keyless entry receiver doesn't work then you have to replace the whole SJB. Just to confirm did the remote come in a Ford parts bag? What was the full part number on the bag?
Old 05-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

I cannot remember whether or not it came in a Ford bag, it was delivered in an standard 5X7 padded envelope. Part # is 8S4T-15K601-AB. I looked it up on Amazon on my order history. When I googled the product # it yielded results for several sights. I purchased it "new" not used. After reading into it more, It's looking like it's just a "compatible" FOB and not an official Ford FOB even though it's sold as a Ford Remote. I'm not exactly sure that's legal. Maybe I can find an insignia inside the FOB. Do stock systems usually remain active & useable after an aftermarket system is installed, or do they install to be be integrated?

Thanks,
CaseyD
Old 05-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

I went back to Etis.Ford and now I'm confused. The "Minor Features" list has either a Less or With in front of most of the features. Before when I looked I didn't notice right below "With Door Entry Remote Control Unit" it says "Less Keyless Entry System". There is one that has a Less in front of it IE - "Less CD Player" but I do have that feature, and it is (or what appears to be) the stock radio. **pulling my hair out. Most of the listed features that had "With" in front of it I did have, and most things that said Less I didn't have. I guess "door entry remote control unit" just means power locks? I don't know.. It's looking like my only choice is to spend the money to get, what may work, a CodeAlarm FOB. I don't know if my new question should be "Can I test an aftermarket alarm without buying an expensive remote" & "If so, How do I determine which one is compatible?" Any thoughts, I'm starting to feel hopeless. I just cannot believe a 2005 car would come without keyless entry, if that's even the case.

Thanks,
CaseyD
Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Emeritus Staff Member

Member Number: 51308
Chapter: Please Select a Region:
Drives: .
The White Falcon is a splendid one to beholdThe White Falcon is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyD View Post
I went back to Etis.Ford and now I'm confused. The "Minor Features" list has either a Less or With in front of most of the features. Before when I looked I didn't notice right below "With Door Entry Remote Control Unit" it says "Less Keyless Entry System". There is one that has a Less in front of it IE - "Less CD Player" but I do have that feature, and it is (or what appears to be) the stock radio. **pulling my hair out. Most of the listed features that had "With" in front of it I did have, and most things that said Less I didn't have. I guess "door entry remote control unit" just means power locks? I don't know.. It's looking like my only choice is to spend the money to get, what may work, a CodeAlarm FOB. I don't know if my new question should be "Can I test an aftermarket alarm without buying an expensive remote" & "If so, How do I determine which one is compatible?" Any thoughts, I'm starting to feel hopeless. I just cannot believe a 2005 car would come without keyless entry, if that's even the case.

Thanks,
CaseyD
Keyless entry in this case is the keypad under the driver door handle that SEL models have. You're fine.

See the details here.

Life at its best is a creative synthesis of opposites in fruitful harmony. Martin Luther King, Jr.
But...it was so artistically done. Grand Admiral Thrawn.
The White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks Bradley! You just saved me from a lot of research/headache. I guess I should stop using that term in regards to the Door entry remote control.. Tomorrow at work I'll test my remote on a friends 2005 Ford Explorer and maybe test his remote on mine. I'll post my findings.

Thanks,
CaseyD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement