Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Wagon MACH RCU Installation

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  dscain 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I swapped out the stock RCU with a mach unit in my wagon. The mach rcu was from a sedan and the mounting bracket is different than the wagon so here's what I did to make the stock wagon bracket work with the Mach RCU..... Now mind you this is on my 2001 Sable Wagon

Wagon rcu location: It's behind the spare tire. Take the spare tire cover off, remove the jack and spare. Then remove the sound deadening and it will be mounted behind the metal.

There are 2 bolts and one nut to remove it. Marked in red are 7mm and the purple is 10mm

Now that it's out......... side by side. Left = stock, right = MACH. There was about a 3lb difference between the them. MACH being the heavier

Here you can see the difference in the mounting brackets (stock wagon left, mach sedan right)

Here you see the mach mounting bracket up close. You need to remove the 4 torx screws in the corners then pry up slightly because there is 2 sided tape that is attached to the rcu. It's a T20 torx bit.

What it looks like after it's removed

Now onto the stock one.

Remove the 4 Torx screws on the top of the mounting bracket holding the stock rcu to the mounting bracket. They are T10

Now that they are seperated, this tab on the stock mounting bracket will have to be bent down so it's straight and even with the rest of the bracket

I just took a pair of pliers and bent it down like this...............

Now that is done, put the sedan bracket over the top of the wagon bracket and mark your holes. These holes you will need to drill out with a 3/16" bit to screw it onto the mach rcu.

Here you can see the 4 mounting holes in the corners

Make sure it goes in the right direction which is the bolt on the right bottom of the mounting plate and the electrical connectors at the bottom...

Now that you are done with the mounting, time to put it in and enjoy some tunes. This is how the connectors go, which is different than the stock rcu. I found it easier to connect them, then wiggle it back into place.

Back in

There's some Mach goodness sitting behind there....

Now put everything back together and crank up the tunes! I hope it helps you wagon guys out there looking to do this upgrade and bought a RCU out of a sedan. Total time was about 25 minutes from taking off the spare cover to putting it back on. Degree of difficulty, 1-2

Now I just have to put the tweeters in to complete the package, but I will need more time to do that as I need to grease up the drivers window, and do the door panel fix while I have it open.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.