1997 LX Mach Audio Amp/HU Ohm help. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 52026
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1997 Taurus LX
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Jaser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1997 LX Mach Audio Amp/HU Ohm help.

Hello,
I am new to the board and tried to find the information I need before I asked. I have the 97LX with the Mach audio amp/hu. I need to know what impedance my amp uses. My two lower front door speakers are blown and I am looking at replacing them with a set of pioneer 3 way 4 ohm speakers.

This is where I am worried... the Mach system has the separate tweeters at the top of the door. Can you tell me if the tweeters are wired independently of the lower door speaker or are they wired in series or parallel? This is why I need to know if the amp is meant for 2 or 4 ohms speakers. If they are connected in parallel, then that means the tweeter and lower speaker are both 4ohms that turn into 2ohm resistance.

I hope I didn't come across as confusing. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Jaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Member Number: 49973
Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Drives: 1999 Taurus wagon se 24v dohc 169,000 miles
glock20man can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaser View Post
Hello,
I am new to the board and tried to find the information I need before I asked. I have the 97LX with the Mach audio amp/hu. I need to know what impedance my amp uses. My two lower front door speakers are blown and I am looking at replacing them with a set of pioneer 3 way 4 ohm speakers.

This is where I am worried... the Mach system has the separate tweeters at the top of the door. Can you tell me if the tweeters are wired independently of the lower door speaker or are they wired in series or parallel? This is why I need to know if the amp is meant for 2 or 4 ohms speakers. If they are connected in parallel, then that means the tweeter and lower speaker are both 4ohms that turn into 2ohm resistance.

I hope I didn't come across as confusing. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
the tweeter are wired separate, don't worry about the ohm, your not hooking up subwoofers just go ahead and throw the door speakers in. I changed out my door speakers many times and it does not make much of a difference in sound (even with my aftermarket head unit) unless you hook up and amp to them (or got subwoofers) then I would worry about matching the ohm, watts, etc.

Last edited by glock20man; 01-01-2013 at 06:52 PM.
glock20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock20man View Post
don't worry about the ohm, your not hooking up subwoofers just go ahead and throw the door speakers in.
You don't have to worry about the speaker impedance unless you care if one set of speakers is louder than the other. Impedance=loudness.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well, I do a lot of home audio and I know that impedance is incredibly important. For example... If you have an amp that is rated at 8 ohm but you use a 4 ohm speaker you end up taxiing the amp to the point of blowing it because the speaker is only providing half of the impedance necessary.

But, if the tweeter is wired separately then there is nothing to worry about.

Does anyone happen to have a wiring diagram of this sound system?

Thanks
Old 01-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Member Number: 49973
Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Drives: 1999 Taurus wagon se 24v dohc 169,000 miles
glock20man can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaser View Post
Well, I do a lot of home audio and I know that impedance is incredibly important. For example... If you have an amp that is rated at 8 ohm but you use a 4 ohm speaker you end up taxiing the amp to the point of blowing it because the speaker is only providing half of the impedance necessary.

But, if the tweeter is wired separately then there is nothing to worry about.

Does anyone happen to have a wiring diagram of this sound system?

Thanks
the pioneers you got will work. If you take the panel off the the door you'll see the door speaker is hooked up to 2 wires (+ and -) that all you have to do. when I took out my stock door speakers they were 25watts, 4ohm. you can Google 1997 ford Taurus speaker wiring diagrams for more info.
glock20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the diagram: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/D...3-ec5a80b6b47a

The sail speakers are wired in parallel as you can see. This would change the characteristic impedance of the circuit if the two speakers are different impedances.

I think the speakers are 4Ω. You could probably test the other speakers to make sure.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

So with the tweeter and lower speaker wired together does this mean that my amp is 2 ohm or 4 ohm?

Remember, it's the Mach amp/hu.

Thanks
Old 01-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Two 4Ω loads in parallel is an equivalent resistance of 2Ω. The front channels of the MACH RCU might have been designed for this lower impedance, or the impedance of the sail tweeters might be higher. Can you measure them with a DMM?
Old 01-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

I will try tomorrow. I have yet to open the door panel. I wish I could find a spec sheet of the Mach amp so I could know for sure whether it's rated for 2 or 4 ohm or both. I will let you know ASAP tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement