One headlight bright one dim - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Member Number: 46262
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus LX
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 39
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
Fordguy92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One headlight bright one dim

Alright, I have a 2003 Taurus LX. My driverside headlight is extremely dim but the passenger side is regular. When I unplug the passenger side to test it with a meter the driverside goes completely out. Also when I flick the high beams the driverside goes completely out. Any ideas?
Thanks, Gary

Also, I checked all wiring until the fender. It all looks good.
__________________
If you don't need both hands on the wheel, then you're not really driving.

Ford, Turning normal people into angry, flat broke ,heavy drinkers that throw tools since 1903.

-2003 LX
-1994 SHO
-1998 Ranger Sport
-1980 F-100
-1981 Honda XL185s

Last edited by Fordguy92; 04-15-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Fordguy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Member Number: 38141
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ft Stewart, Georgia
Drives: 1999 Black/Tan SHO 3.4
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 86
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 7
calvin0325 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Did you check the grounds on each side as each side has its own ground. Try running the ground for the lamp back to the battery. As for the drivers side going out when you turn on the high beam it sounds like a bad bulb on the drivers side.
calvin0325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member
 
Member Number: 36682
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NY State
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: Sable LS Premium '03 Sable LS '01 Sable LS '03 Wagon
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 3,691
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 30
chartmaker is a splendid one to beholdchartmaker is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin0325 View Post
Did you check the grounds on each side as each side has its own ground. Try running the ground for the lamp back to the battery. As for the drivers side going out when you turn on the high beam it sounds like a bad bulb on the drivers side.
Re:
Correction, this is '03.
Each light has it's own fuse and positive supply direct from the fues panel by the battery. Lights are turned on by grounding either side of the bulb by the MFS switch.

Dim one side means bad socket, or supply issue from the fuse for that side.

I do not know what year they went to double fuses, hot at all times head lamps, but my '01 has that, as well as my '03.

-chart-
chartmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Member Number: 38141
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ft Stewart, Georgia
Drives: 1999 Black/Tan SHO 3.4
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 86
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 7
calvin0325 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

My 99 has dual fuses also....wasn't sure about yours. It also has fuses for High beams also. I have projectors in mine and with the harness I have it only connects to the drivers side socket so I have the fuses out of the fuse panel for the passenger side lamp. On the headlamp bulb connector for the 9007 bulb with the flat part facing up the center wire is ground, the left is High beam and the right is low beam.
calvin0325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member
 
Member Number: 36682
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NY State
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: Sable LS Premium '03 Sable LS '01 Sable LS '03 Wagon
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 3,691
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 30
chartmaker is a splendid one to beholdchartmaker is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin0325 View Post
My 99 has dual fuses also....wasn't sure about yours. It also has fuses for High beams also. I have projectors in mine and with the harness I have it only connects to the drivers side socket so I have the fuses out of the fuse panel for the passenger side lamp. On the headlamp bulb connector for the 9007 bulb with the flat part facing up the center wire is ground, the left is High beam and the right is low beam.
The older version had 4 fuses. Eng compartment 30A to the inside, and then inst panel fuse 10A for each bulb low, and 30A for high beams common to both sides.

Newer version has only 2 fuses, Eng compartment 15A for each bulb. No need for any fuses in cabin as only grounding done there.

Looks more reliable as a short in the wires from cabin to the front of the engine bay can only turn on the bulbs. Not blow a fuse.

Just my take. Better idea from FORD.

-chart-
chartmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Member Number: 46262
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus LX
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 39
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
Fordguy92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Thank-you. The one fuse was blown. I find having a different fuse for left and right stupid. But I guess it makes sense. Thank-you very much for the replies. I also have another question, where do you get the aftermarket headlight harness'? And about how much?
__________________
If you don't need both hands on the wheel, then you're not really driving.

Ford, Turning normal people into angry, flat broke ,heavy drinkers that throw tools since 1903.

-2003 LX
-1994 SHO
-1998 Ranger Sport
-1980 F-100
-1981 Honda XL185s
Fordguy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member
 
Member Number: 36682
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NY State
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: Sable LS Premium '03 Sable LS '01 Sable LS '03 Wagon
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 3,691
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 30
chartmaker is a splendid one to beholdchartmaker is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordguy92 View Post
Thank-you. The one fuse was blown. I find having a different fuse for left and right stupid. But I guess it makes sense. Thank-you very much for the replies. I also have another question, where do you get the aftermarket headlight harness'? And about how much?
Re:
"different fuse for left and right stupid"

It is a safety issue. Get a short in the wire, or a bulb breaks and wires short, you only loose one bulb, not both at once. Only had both lamps go out at the same time once, on a country road in a '72 Merc, and it had a breaker with a fault in it so it shut down, but recycled in a few seconds. Shut down only with brights, not on low beams. One breaker for both. Made it safely home.

Headlamps are quite important.

-chart-
chartmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Member Number: 46262
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus LX
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 39
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
Fordguy92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
Re:
"different fuse for left and right stupid"

It is a safety issue. Get a short in the wire, or a bulb breaks and wires short, you only loose one bulb, not both at once. Only had both lamps go out at the same time once, on a country road in a '72 Merc, and it had a breaker with a fault in it so it shut down, but recycled in a few seconds. Shut down only with brights, not on low beams. One breaker for both. Made it safely home.

Headlamps are quite important.

-chart-

i guess if you'd put it that way yes, that is a darn good idea then lol. I just didn't happen to think of that. This is the newest vehicle I've ever owned/worked on so it's quite different! lol. But thank-you very much for the help!
__________________
If you don't need both hands on the wheel, then you're not really driving.

Ford, Turning normal people into angry, flat broke ,heavy drinkers that throw tools since 1903.

-2003 LX
-1994 SHO
-1998 Ranger Sport
-1980 F-100
-1981 Honda XL185s
Fordguy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member
 
Member Number: 36682
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NY State
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: Sable LS Premium '03 Sable LS '01 Sable LS '03 Wagon
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 3,691
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 30
chartmaker is a splendid one to beholdchartmaker is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordguy92 View Post
i guess if you'd put it that way yes, that is a darn good idea then lol. I just didn't happen to think of that. This is the newest vehicle I've ever owned/worked on so it's quite different! lol. But thank-you very much for the help!
Re:
"newest vehicle I've ever owned"

Welcome to the old car owner's club.

Same here.
I have '01, '02' '03 in the stable here.

Nothing wrong with older "well maintained" FORDS.

Middle one is Lin Cont, others Sables.


-chart-
chartmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member
 
Lgbpop's Avatar
 
Member Number: 7489
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fort Myers, Florida USA
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: '90 Taurus GL Wagon 3.0L; '65 Rambler Ambassador 990 convertible
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 3,262
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 48
Lgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
Re:
"newest vehicle I've ever owned"

Welcome to the old car owner's club.

Same here.
I have '01, '02' '03 in the stable here.

Nothing wrong with older "well maintained" FORDS.

Middle one is Lin Cont, others Sables.


-chart-
Dang, you people and your new-fangled cars....:O

Last edited by Lgbpop; 04-15-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Lgbpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2