Adding a Factory Moonroof? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
N.E. Chapter Moderator

Member Number: 42443
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2006 Taurus SE Vulcan 2005 Taurus SEL FFV
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 7 reviews
TaurusDailyDriver is a name known to allTaurusDailyDriver is a name known to all
Default Adding a Factory Moonroof?

Hello All,

Been scouring the site for threads on this. I cannot seem to get a straight answer so I figured I would ask here and create a thread instead of reviving an old one.

I have always wanted to have a moonroof for my bull and figured I'd just have to live without one because I DO NOT want to go aftermarket, I would want ONLY factory parts. The other thing is that I absolutely would not want to do a roof transplant. That is in no way feasible. I have read that there would be issues as far as structuring and support if I cut the hole in my roof. Also, I never got a clear answer regarding the draining.

But since I would love to have a moonroof, and have access to a 2003 SEL in the yard that has one, is there absolutely any way possible to take the factory parts as well as the headliner and put them into my car? I mean if aftermarket ones can be put in, why would I be unable to put a factory one in? Seems like the same idea... just using original parts made specifically for the car. Or at least, I think.

I have someone who may help me out with the installation if it is possible. He built his house, 3 decks, etc. He is handy and I would trust him helping me with it, so if it can be done, I'll look into this. I'd also make a template from the junk car to help with my installation. I am just weary of cutting a hole in my roof without being 100% certain this will work.

Let me know what you guys think. Would I be biting off more than I can chew? I'll only do this if I can do factory parts since it'll be easy on the wallet. If not, it is no big deal... was just an idea. Thanks in advance.

2011 Ford Fusion SEL 3.0L DOHC V6
2006 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L OHV V6 (Sold)
2005 Ford Taurus SEL 3.0L FFV OHV V6 (Sister's)

Last edited by TaurusDailyDriver; 03-08-2012 at 07:19 PM.
TaurusDailyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dwk

Member Number: 31863
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2003 Silverfrost SEL Duratec I 2003 Silverfrost SEL Duratec II
Trader Score: 5 reviews
Dwk is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, to start things off I believe it was on this forum I read a discussion on this as I once had the same question. I understand on the moon roof equipped Taurus the structure under the roof skin is quit different compared with no sunroof. Also, for a factory look someone would have to be disciplined to get the roof skin to look just right around the sunroof. One comment was that it would be easier to cut the roof at the pillars and exchange with a donor car. I'm anxious to see what others say about this because I think it can be done but after market may be easier.
Dwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
N.E. Chapter Moderator

TaurusDailyDriver is a name known to allTaurusDailyDriver is a name known to all

Yeah, that is what I had read too and wanted clarification. I definitely have no interest in spending $$$$$$$ to get an aftermarket one. If I can get away with one cheap at the pick and pull, and install it easy, I'd do it. But as I said, a roof transplant is not at all feasible. That also would be expensive and complicated.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder

Member Number: 10385
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 87twagon. 99sable. 00twagon. 01taurus. 04taurus
Trader Score: 0 reviews
major will become famous soon enough

I tried the same thing your wanting to do. The only way is a roof transplant because of the glue used to hold the moonroof assembly in place. It is almost as tuff as a windshield adhesive.
The roof is cut and stamped with a press at the factory, it would be close to impossible to perfectly recreate that stamping. Aftermarket would be the way to go.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
N.E. Chapter Moderator

Yeah.. no aftermarket for me. I don't have the money. Guess no moonroof for me unless there is a way to get the factory one out. Maybe I can use a solvent to dissolve the glue? I am persistent! And cutting the hole wouldn't be an issue... as I said I'd make a template and I have someone with experience and the tools to do it right.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dwk

Member Number: 31863
Drives: 2003 Silverfrost SEL Duratec I 2003 Silverfrost SEL Duratec II
Trader Score: 5 reviews
Dwk is an unknown quantity at this point

Well Paul, I can see you getting it done if anyone can. There was a fun-to-follow thread on here a while back about the kid that cut off the back of a wrecked Brown DOHC Sable and welded on a new one. Did a fantastic job with great help from TCCA members so just proof these things can be done. But he had access to a good shop and I believe did it as part of some school or training project. But, cost and practical are the first to consider. It would be cheaper to trade for another Taurus with a sunroof already in it and I just can't imagine you doing that---LOL!
Dwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
N.E. Chapter Moderator

Haha well I'll consider, but it isn't sounding too likely at the moment. When I hit up the junk yard next, I'll look at the moonroof more closely. And there is no way I would trade away my bull. My bull and I share that special bond Moonroof or not, I love my car.

Any other comments or ideas are welcome.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
N.E. Chapter Moderator

Was still pondering the thought of course... and the biggest issue on the thread so far is the glue to hold it in. So if I am able to break away at the glue holding it on the junk car, using a solvent if necessary, and get the moon roof assembly out is that easy to transplant? Is there anything else holding the sunroof in the car?

Old 03-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

I'd just get a sazall and cut the whole dang roof off from about the doors, all the way around. then detach what you want outside the yard if you're going to pursue that idea.

-True Blue MC 2003 Lincoln Town Car | V8 SOHC/4R70W | 55K
-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3580
Drives: 03 SEL Premium DOHC
Trader Score: 36 reviews
durasel has a spectacular aura about

As mentioned earlier by DWK, the roof is reinforced differently for cars with a sunroof vs non-sunroof cars.

All carmakers have to meet federal guidelines for rollover protection.

Get that sawzall out!!
03 SEL Premium DOHC
04 SES Sport DOHC

2003 SEL Premium
Every available factory option
September 2009 Car of the Month

Dealing in Mach Audio Systems for the last 10 years with perfect feedback. I'm happy to answer any/all questions.
I have many very satisfied club members!
durasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement