My Remote Starter Install - Start to finish - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 35931
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 03 sable wagon
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
ulyyoung is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My Remote Starter Install - Start to finish

Hey guys, I have seen one or two guides to installing one of these on here, but I have just done it, so here is a walkthrough of my install, pictures included. My unit was a ReadyRemote Autocommand 23927 by Design-tech. As I understand it, Design-tech was bought out by Directed Electronics and is now their do it yourself line of products. Hope this helps some others out.

Here is the ignition harness. It is located down under the steering column. It has many of the wires in this harness required for the installation.

In this harness, you will use any of the Light Green/Purple wires to pull a steady 12V, be sure to check with your meter just in case. The starter wire in here is Red/Light Blue. The Ignition 1 wire in my case was the Red/Light Green. Ignition 2 was Black/Light Green, my remote starter has an option switch for whether or not Ignition 2 was powered during crank or not, I had to measure it with a meter while cranking to test it. The Accessory was Grey/Yellow.

Here is the wire which I ran the alarm switch. The Black/Orange wire on the 20 pin plug of the GEM under the steering column and to the left. This wire is essentially a switch for if the doors are ajar.

On the 26 pin plug of the GEM (Right next to the 20 pin plug) are the door lock and unlock switches. These are negative triggered and the Pink/Light Green was the unlock and the Pink/Yellow was lock.

This is where I drilled through the firewall to install my hood pin switch, make sure that if you drill through to wrap the wires in convoluted tubing or other insulation, if not it WILL eventually "rub" through the wire insulation and possibly ground out. I drilled this just below the brake power booster and routed the wire around the top of the shock tower to the front of the car near the battery tray.

This is where I wire tied the wire near the shock tower, I then ran it through one of the holes above the fender and brought it out right next to the battery tray. Again, I used convoluted tubing to keep it protected.

This is not the greatest picture, but the battery tray is at the bottom right of this photo. It turns out that the front top piece of our cars here are actually fiberglass, not metal, so it was not a ground. I ran a short 4 inch or so wire and connected it to the ground right next to the battery. (hood pin is a ground switch so this IS necessary.)

This is the horn wire. It is the blue one off to the right in the photo. It was pretty hard for me to find. It comes out of a yellow wire loom that I was scared of because I assumed it was something with the airbag. This wire has +12V and when you ground it out you hear the horn beep.

Here is where I ran the antenna from the unit. I ran it through this little access panel and then into the bottom of the A Pillar, to the top and then across the top of the headliner. (I glued it to the top of the headliner to hold it in place.

Well, that is pretty much it. I highly recommend soldering each connection and wrapping with a dielectric insulated heat shrink tubing. This will be sure the wires stay connected and do not get corroded over time. Many of these wires I was unable to cut because they were too short. For these, I used the dielectric compound, then wrapped them with a piece of heat shrink that I cut down the middle and then used electrical tape to hold everything in place. I'm confident that this will be good enough to last.

For anyone doing this project, check your wires with a multimeter before you start, label and/or remember what is what, and disconnect the battery before you start soldering. I recommend that you use flux on your solder joints to make them clean, especially some of the bigger power and ignition wires.

Hope this helps anyone out there thinking of installing one of these. Let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to help.

Ulysses.
Attached Thumbnails
My Remote Starter Install - Start to finish-doorinput3.jpg   My Remote Starter Install - Start to finish-hoodpin1.jpg   My Remote Starter Install - Start to finish-hoodpin3.jpg   My Remote Starter Install - Start to finish-hoodpin-drill.jpg  

My Remote Starter Install - Start to finish-doorlocks.jpg   My Remote Starter Install - Start to finish-ant-route.jpg   My Remote Starter Install - Start to finish-ignition-harness.jpg   My Remote Starter Install - Start to finish-horn.jpg  

ulyyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 41104
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: White 2006 SE, 3.0 Vulcan
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
YoungGunzBass01 will become famous soon enough

Was this unit including locking and unlocking the doors? Nice write up btw.
YoungGunzBass01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement