Auto-dim mirror install questions - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2011, 04:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 31183
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 2007 Taurus SE 3.0 Vulcan
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
astra1397 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Auto-dim mirror install questions

Before I ask I want to thank everyone here for the great things I have learned on this site!

Now for my questions:

I pulled a GNTX-177 auto dim/compass mirror (no temp) from an 02-03 Sable in a JY last week
for $10.00. A date on the back of the mirror is 02-11-03. It has 3 wires in the harness I took
and they are black (com), black/green (compass) and black/red (reverse dimming I assume).

After reading all of the posts here about installing it (thanks to all that posted) I have a few unanswered questions:

I have read that I can tap a reverse light wire (black/pink wire) for the mirror but I need to know
if it is in the pillar or under the carpet. What wires in the a-pillar do you suggest for the power wires?

How do I remove the a-pillar covers, are they snap in or is there a hidden screw that I can break?
BTW I do this often .

This mirror has two buttons on the front, they are marked comp and mirror. I know the comp button
is to calibrate the compass. Does this button do anything else? What does the mirror button do?

Does anyone have or know a link to the owners manual for this mirror, I searched this site and the
web to no avail.

The recipient car is a 2007 Taurus SE with no moon roof.

Thanks your help with this,

Astra

Last edited by astra1397; 06-19-2011 at 04:45 AM. Reason: spelling
astra1397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

I think the wire for reverse is under the kick panels/scuff panel in the door openings. Never took the time to find where and which wire to use though. The A-pillar covers snap into the metal structure of the car. No screws.

COMP turns the compass on and off. Holding it for few seconds will let you cycle through the different compass zones. Holding it for 10-15 seconds will allow it to calibrate as you drive it and find its correct zone. The MIRROR button turns auto dim on and off.

The only info you'll find on it would be in the owners manual for a 2002-3 taurus/sable. This is available on the Ford Fleet website, Motorcraft website, etc. Should be a link in the top of Taurus/Sable Gen. Disc. There's an installation guide from Gentex on the mirror as well out there somewhere.,..

-True Blue MC 2003 Lincoln Town Car | V8 SOHC/4R70W | 55K
-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the help Bullgeek, the install went great.

But now the mirror is stuck in Calibrate mode and won't do anything else. I pressed the comp button and drove in a few circles...nothing.

So I gave up and drove to work hoping it would figure it out eventually. So I drove the 43 miles to work and it has not changed, still stuck on the "C".

I unplugged the harness from my mirror when I got to work hoping it will reset something in the 8 hours while I am here. I'll plug it in for the trip home and see what happens.

Is there a manual reset on the mirror? Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute

You need to make sure you have a clear view of the sky while letting the mirror calibrate. Also make sure the compass module that attaches to the mirror mount is plugged in, they can become detached.

--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
Old 06-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Are they pretty fragile? This one did come from a JY so I guess it could be bad.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 29838
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: Taurus
Mysterious101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra1397 View Post
Are they pretty fragile? This one did come from a JY so I guess it could be bad.
Technically you don't really need to calibrate it. I would search online for a reset, or you could always pull another mirror, but then again idk if you want to risk taking the mirror off again.
Mysterious101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious101 View Post
Technically you don't really need to calibrate it. I would search online for a reset, or you could always pull another mirror, but then again idk if you want to risk taking the mirror off again.
Uh technically yes you do. What are you talking about? And he already knows the reset feature, he's stuck in it right now.

No they aren't really fragile, I just recall that the mirror has a connection inside the base unit, and a connection inside the auto-dim mirror itself. Reading the owners manual it says:
" Drive the vehicle slowly (less
than 5 km/h [3 mph]) in circles or
on your everyday routine until the
display reads a direction.
4. The compass is now calibrated.

see if it works then. If not:
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../02tauog4e.pdf
Go to page 71 and follow the directions.

Former...
Old 06-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 29838
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: Taurus
Mysterious101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Geek View Post
Uh technically yes you do. What are you talking about? And he already knows the reset feature, he's stuck in it right now.

No they aren't really fragile, I just recall that the mirror has a connection inside the base unit, and a connection inside the auto-dim mirror itself. Reading the owners manual it says:
" Drive the vehicle slowly (less
than 5 km/h [3 mph]) in circles or
on your everyday routine until the
display reads a direction.
4. The compass is now calibrated.

see if it works then. If not:
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WO2TAU/~MUS~LEN/41/02tauog4e.pdf
Go to page 71 and follow the directions.
Why would you need to calibrate it if you already took it from a junk car?
Mysterious101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Oops here's a new link: https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp just plug in your vehicle info or from where the car came from (2002-3 Taurus or Sable).

You want to calibrate it because the car may not be from the area originally, 99% of owners never recalibrate it if they move or the car is moved. Might as well set it to match your area. or you can manually input your region/zone.

Like Jay said, keep doing circles with a good view of the sky. It took mine awhile too.

Former...
Old 06-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well I drove it home (another 43 miles) with no improvement. When I got home I took it apart and checked all of the connections and even ohm checked the cables. Same thing. So I went back to the JY and exchanged it for one I pulled out. It works great now. I'm thinking the tech that removed the other mirror was rough with the cables when he pulled it out, just a guess. I did drive in about 3 circles and it started working. What a relief.

BTW the Sable I took the mirror from also had the puddle light external mirrors but he wanted $45.00 each for them. Is that a normal price?

Thanks for helping, hope I can return the favor sometime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement