Any Way To Reset Factory Keypad Code? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 29242
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Doctor Butts has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have the original keypad code for my car, and its worked for a while now. All of a sudden, it doesn't. I looked at the post for locating the manufacturer's default code (just in case its different than the one printed on the card that came with the car), but the number isn't on the side of the interior fuse box.

Not sure if this is related but my remote stopped working as well. I fixed that with the ignition on/off reset to detect my transmitter, now the keypad code doesn't work.
Doctor Butts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 16854
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 1991 Taurus SHO 3.0L/MTX
djsho91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (Doctor Butts @ May 28 2010, 08:30 PM)
Quote:
I have the original keypad code for my car, and its worked for a while now. All of a sudden, it doesn't. I looked at the post for locating the manufacturer's default code (just in case its different than the one printed on the card that came with the car), but the number isn't on the side of the interior fuse box.

Not sure if this is related but my remote stopped working as well. I fixed that with the ignition on/off reset to detect my transmitter, now the keypad code doesn't work.[/b]
It sounds like the main brain for the locking system has lost it's memory. You may be able to have it reprogrammed, but it could be fried. If it is, the only other option is replacing the main module. Your local Ford/L-M dealer should have the computer to check out your system.

91'SHO-Over 235,000 miles and still singing sweet!

2007 Mercury Milan Premier I4, My Wife's Car.
djsho91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Where is the keypad relative to the door handle? Is it integral to the door handle assembly or does it appear elsewhere on the door itself?

If it appears elsewhere on the door, it's the ford "aftermarket" one. You will need to find the master code that came with it...could be anywhere in the glovebox, owners manual etc. Without the code you are SOL, and will need to purchase a new unit.

-True Blue MC 2003 Lincoln Town Car | V8 SOHC/4R70W | 55K
-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 29242
Doctor Butts has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (Bull Geek @ May 28 2010, 10:08 PM)
Quote:
Where is the keypad relative to the door handle? Is it integral to the door handle assembly or does it appear elsewhere on the door itself?

If it appears elsewhere on the door, it's the ford "aftermarket" one. You will need to find the master code that came with it...could be anywhere in the glovebox, owners manual etc. Without the code you are SOL, and will need to purchase a new unit.[/b]
It's installed above the door handle itself. I do have the master code. I guess I need to go down to the dealer to get it fixed.
Doctor Butts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 16854
Drives: 1991 Taurus SHO 3.0L/MTX
djsho91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (Doctor Butts @ May 31 2010, 12:00 PM)
Quote:
Quote:

If it appears elsewhere on the door, it's the ford "aftermarket" one. You will need to find the master code that came with it...could be anywhere in the glovebox, owners manual etc. Without the code you are SOL, and will need to purchase a new unit.[/b]
It's installed above the door handle itself. I do have the master code. I guess I need to go down to the dealer to get it fixed.
[/b][/quote]

Does the "master code" work? If it does, then just go to the directions in the owners guide to set a new personal code. The personal code can be lost any time the battery is disconnected or if it runs down.

If the master code doesn't work, then the whole system needs to be reset. See your local dealer for help.

91'SHO-Over 235,000 miles and still singing sweet!

2007 Mercury Milan Premier I4, My Wife's Car.
djsho91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 6881
Chapter: Eastern Canada
Drives: 1995 Ford Taurus Station Wagon. >:)
Trader Score: 1 reviews
tauruskev will become famous soon enough

If it's above the door handle, you have an aftermarket one.

This is what it should look like on a Gen4.

Fun fact, Toyotas will never die. NEVER DIE.
This fact brought to you by the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company
tauruskev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

QUOTE (Doctor Butts @ May 31 2010, 11:00 AM)
Quote:
Quote:

[/b][/quote]
Is the master code the one that came with the car, or the one that came with the keypad. Even cars without keypads came with a card w/a 5 digit code originally.

If it ain't working, you will need to put the vehicle into remote programming mode, and program all of your door remote clickers as well as program the stick on keypad (as it acts like a keyfob).

-True Blue MC 2003 Lincoln Town Car | V8 SOHC/4R70W | 55K
-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement