Tips For A Remote Start Install - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Don't Be Stupid

Member Number: 4508
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2010 SEL 2000 Tec
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
00tec-satx is on a distinguished road

I just installed a remote start alarm in my car this weekend. I used the Viper 5701 (cool unit- 2way).
  • Allow yourself LOTS of time to do this. I know my way around 12v installs and it took me a while. A weekend is suggested.
  • Friction tape is awesome. This is that cloth like tape that comes on some cars' factory harnesses. Get it at lowes/home depot. It's like electrical tape for it's insulating value, but won't degrade near as fast as cheap vinyl tape. It doesn't feel sticky at first, so it's easy to work with, but overnight and it took me some effort to remvoe ~8" of the stuff. It tears like fabric tape, so cutters aren't needed. I wrapped all my new harnesses with it so they blend in well.
  • Remove the driver's seat.
  • Cover that damn stud that sticks up when you remove the driver's seat (closest to the door, back of the seat- my kidneys hate me)
  • Get a worklight. I used a 300w halogen for the most part, along with a flashlight for seeing way up in there.
  • Get a DMM (a must for ANY install)
  • Solder connections, don't use T-taps or scotch locks. (especially, the high current applications). You will need a high power iron (or gun) for the heavy stuff. My 30w wasn't quite cutting it for the big wires.
  • Wire in a relay that will kill your remote wire if you have subs. Last thing you need is a noise ticket while you're not even there.
  • It helps to remove a lot of your dash. I removed my knee panel (below the column), it's support that runs across it at the bottom, the head unit/climate controls, the headlight switch, the vent panel/instrument surround, the instrument cluster, and the trunk switch
  • Now's a good time to pull your passenger seat and console so you can get the carpet out. Take it to the car wash so you can give it a good cleaning with the pressure washer.
  • Don't just mount the unit above the pedals (especially adjustable), behind the radio, or under the console are much better.
  • A buddy or kid (that knows tools) is VERY handy. It really sucks to get up every time you need one.
And for the 00+ Bulls, they use a 556sw bypass to get past the transponder. It doesn't require leaving one of your keys in the box like a universal unit. It actually just has it's own (uncut) key in it. So, go to the junkyard, get a key that looks like yours from a wrecked Ford. Swap the JY key for the one in the box, and you have a free (uncut) key. I won a bet over this..... LOL

00tec-satx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 13200
Trader Score: 0 reviews
dark_fire has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to dark_fire

The ignition wires can be soldered with a 30w iron, you just need some rosin flux. Actually, any wire that large needs some extra flux applied.
he checks his closet for Clint Eastwood.
dark_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Don't Be Stupid

I have some flux, but in the position I was in, I didn't think it too wise to use it. The type I have drips a little and when I'm laying under it, =bad

Old 03-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 13200
dark_fire has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to dark_fire

QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ Mar 3 2010, 06:37 PM)
Quote:
I have some flux, but in the position I was in, I didn't think it too wise to use it. The type I have drips a little and when I'm laying under it, =bad[/b]
Gotcha. The stuff I have doesn't drip unless I get a bit carried away, but it smokes like none other when you hit it with the solder. First time I used it I swore I started something on fire
I just love the range on my Viper 5501, which is pretty much the same module minus all the alarm features. I can unlock the remote itself and remote start my beast from at least 4-5 blocks away in the comfort of my dorm room.
he checks his closet for Clint Eastwood.
dark_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 6881
Chapter: Eastern Canada
Drives: 1995 Ford Taurus Station Wagon. >:)
tauruskev will become famous soon enough

I hate installing remote starters. I soldered every connection in my Taurus, just sat outside the door, and leaned in and did my business.

Though I used an XK04 Bypass module. It requires no key, and it learns the key installed. I put it both in my Taurus and in my mom's 06 Escape. Works great.

Fun fact, Toyotas will never die. NEVER DIE.
This fact brought to you by the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company
tauruskev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Don't Be Stupid

QUOTE (TaurusKev @ Mar 4 2010, 05:09 AM)
Quote:
I hate installing remote starters. I soldered every connection in my Taurus, just sat outside the door, and leaned in and did my business.

Though I used an XK04 Bypass module. It requires no key, and it learns the key installed. I put it both in my Taurus and in my mom's 06 Escape. Works great.[/b]
Yeah, this module advertizes "needs no key", I just found it funny when there was a key they put in it. I'm just going to swap it for a JY key so I can have it cut as another spare.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 4131
millermagic has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to millermagic

Can the PATS key from another vehicle be moved to your car?
Old 03-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Don't Be Stupid

QUOTE (Millermagic @ Mar 4 2010, 10:52 AM)
Quote:
Can the PATS key from another vehicle be moved to your car?[/b]
Yes, the key doens't "remember" anything. The car remembers it.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a chipped key already in the module, wouldn't this mean someone with a non chipped key could put key in the ignition, crank it up and drive off?

-True Blue MC 2003 Lincoln Town Car | V8 SOHC/4R70W | 55K
-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Don't Be Stupid

QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Mar 4 2010, 05:35 PM)
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a chipped key already in the module, wouldn't this mean someone with a non chipped key could put key in the ignition, crank it up and drive off?[/b]
You have to power up the module to activate it's key. It is mounted away from the factory receiver. It has a coil around it, when you activate the remote start, it powers up that coil, excites the key, transmits it's signal along a wire you mount next to the factory receiver.

I made sure the module wasn't close enough for the key to talk to the car without it being powered up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement