Door Keypad Malfunction? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 23875
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
jmarsh46 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Newbie question here -
I have a 2005 Taurus SE that was purchased from a non-Ford dealer. I came with only one key/remote combo and no manual.
I found the door code on the computer, just like your forum posts suggested I could...but when I punch the code into the keypad, it does NOT unlock the door.
I checked every key - they DO all light up, and if I punch just 7*8 and 9*0 the doors DO lock.

So, the question is - do you think the keypad is busted? If so, does anyone know how to replace it WITHOUT going to Ford?
(My local NW Ohio dealer told me $45 to read the computer and verify the code, $88 to run a diagnostic on the keypad and $300+ if it needs to be replaced! For $450 I could almost buy another car.)

Please, if someone has any clue as to how I can fix this let me know! I don't have much experience with cars (more of a computer person), but I can learn fast.
jmarsh46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Tap each button on the keypad and see if it lights up the pad and interior, then wait for interior lights to turn off. Repeat on the remaining buttons. If you find one that doesn't work, you found your culprit.

Is the keypad literally part of the door handle assembly, or is it located elsewhere?

-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K - FOR SALE, See Thread: click

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Nov 16 2009, 01:55 PM)
Quote:
Tap each button on the keypad and see if it lights up the pad and interior, then wait for interior lights to turn off. Repeat on the remaining buttons. If you find one that doesn't work, you found your culprit.

Is the keypad literally part of the door handle assembly, or is it located elsewhere?[/b]
All keys light up the keypad. None of them light the interior.

The keypad is located just above the door handle, surrounded by black plastic.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3141
Drives: 2003 Taurus SES with a Vulcan. Base SES with sunroof
daveromanjr has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to daveromanjr

QUOTE (jmarsh46 @ Nov 16 2009, 02:22 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Nov 16 2009, 01:55 PM)
Quote:

Is the keypad literally part of the door handle assembly, or is it located elsewhere?[/b]
All keys light up the keypad. None of them light the interior.

The keypad is located just above the door handle, surrounded by black plastic.
[/b][/quote]
If thats the case then you have the Ford keyless entry that can be added on as an add-on from ford. The code you found will not work that keypad because unfortunately it is independent of the stock coding. If you hit 7*8 and 9*10 twice, does your horn honk? If so, then that's what you've got. There's no way that I know of of finding out the code for that keypad besides going thru them one at a time. If you add on additional remotes then you'll need to add this keypad in too as it is treated as a separate keyfob remote.

Come join in on what TCCA was all about at The Taurus and Sables Owners Club.

No drama, no petty personal issues. Just cars and their owners.
daveromanjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Ah ha, that is why. That's the Ford aftermarket accessory keypad. The code you were reading for, was if your car has the factory keypad under the door handle itself.

You'll have to go back to the dealer and ask them if they have the keypad code. You can't retrieve the code for it either. Check all around in your glovebox and manual, see if someone possibly has it written down in there or you can find a card for it. Otherwise you have a one function remote.

-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K - FOR SALE, See Thread: click

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

QUOTE (daveromanjr @ Nov 16 2009, 02:44 PM)
Quote:
If thats the case then you have the Ford keyless entry that can be added on as an add-on from ford. The code you found will not work that keypad because unfortunately it is independent of the stock coding. If you hit 7*8 and 9*10 twice, does your horn honk? If so, then that's what you've got. There's no way that I know of of finding out the code for that keypad besides going thru them one at a time. If you add on additional remotes then you'll need to add this keypad in too as it is treated as a separate keyfob remote.[/b]
Yes, it does honk. /sighs/ How wonderful. So I should just punch in random combos until it unlocks?

Sorry, newbie here - I'm afraid I haven't asked the whole "how do I get another key" question yet. What do you mean by adding the keypad as another remote?
Old 11-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Nov 16 2009, 02:47 PM)
Quote:
Ah ha, that is why. That's the Ford aftermarket accessory keypad. The code you were reading for, was if your car has the factory keypad under the door handle itself.

You'll have to go back to the dealer and ask them if they have the keypad code. You can't retrieve the code for it either. Check all around in your glovebox and manual, see if someone possibly has it written down in there or you can find a card for it. Otherwise you have a one function remote.[/b]
Great. No the dealer didn't have the code or the manual. How much are those things anyway?
Old 11-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 16800
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2003 SES Vulcan OHV 2v Lowend.
Trader Score: 1 reviews
thesavo has a spectacular aura about

These things are about $45 or so. They work like a Key fob. I am looking around for the directions.
Looks likes this, right?

update:
Ask and ye shall receive.
Alex. please Topic Finder this for Aftermarket Keypad Manual.

Basically Press 7 and 9 simultaneously during RKE fob programming to send a "Lock" signal during programming. this will add the keypad.
Unfortunately, if you loose the code, it is useless and must be replaced.
Also the battery is NON-SERVICEABLE
Attached Files
File Type: pdf kp_diagnostic.pdf (55.2 KB, 697 views)

For Sale
Gen 3 & 4 Parts
Wood Grain Radio Trim

I am TheSavo on the following Boards,
Crownvic.ca, Crownvic.net, Escape-City.com, FordEscape.og, FordTaurus.net, ExplorerForum.com, F150online.com, TaurusOwners.com

Like my diagrams? they are from AutoZone.comSign-up for a free account.

Vehicle Maintenance Log. http://www.mycarprojects.net Also has an Android App.

Last edited by thesavo; 07-18-2014 at 11:01 AM.
thesavo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

QUOTE (thesavo @ Nov 16 2009, 05:01 PM)
Quote:
These things are about $45 or so. They work like a Key fob. I am looking around for the directions.
Looks likes this, right?

update:
Ask and ye shall receive.
Alex. please Topic Finder this for Aftermarket Keypad Manual.

Basically Press 7 and 9 simultaneously during RKE fob programming to send a "Lock" signal during programming. this will add the keypad.
Unfortunately, if you loose the code, it is useless and must be replaced.
Also the battery is NON-SERVICEABLE[/b]
Yes, it looks pretty much like that.

Any suggestions for what I should do now? Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.