Antenna Replacement - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 19156
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
supra24valve has a little shameless behaviour in the past

My first post. I did a search and cannot find out how to replace the antenna. Mine is broken at the base. Is there a lead connector in the rear without going all the way to the radio? Can one be spliced? The trouble of going through the whole car seems to be a big task. I use mostly XM, but would still like to fix what is broken.
supra24valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2009, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

QUOTE (Itasca @ Apr 11 2009, 09:37 PM)
Quote:
My first post. I did a search and cannot find out how to replace the antenna. Mine is broken at the base. Is there a lead connector in the rear without going all the way to the radio? Can one be spliced? The trouble of going through the whole car seems to be a big task. I use mostly XM, but would still like to fix what is broken.[/b]
If your antenna broke at the base, all you need to do is pop off the antenna connection inside the trunk from the base unit itself. Then remove the nut and the screw that hold it onto the body. You'll also need to remove the 4 prong antenna nut that screws into the base (the chrome one embedded in the plastic). Harbor Freight sells the removal tool for around $5 IIRC. Wrap the 4 prongs (on the tool) with electrical tape to prevent scratching the chrome and surrounding black plastic up.

Just pull back the carpeting on the driver's side of the trunk, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

-True Blue MC 2003 Lincoln Town Car | V8 SOHC/4R70W | 55K
-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Apr 11 2009, 09:30 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (Itasca @ Apr 11 2009, 09:37 PM)
Quote:
My first post. I did a search and cannot find out how to replace the antenna. Mine is broken at the base. Is there a lead connector in the rear without going all the way to the radio? Can one be spliced? The trouble of going through the whole car seems to be a big task. I use mostly XM, but would still like to fix what is broken.[/b]
If your antenna broke at the base, all you need to do is pop off the antenna connection inside the trunk from the base unit itself. Then remove the nut and the screw that hold it onto the body. You'll also need to remove the 4 prong antenna nut that screws into the base (the chrome one embedded in the plastic). Harbor Freight sells the removal tool for around $5 IIRC. Wrap the 4 prongs (on the tool) with electrical tape to prevent scratching the chrome and surrounding black plastic up.

Just pull back the carpeting on the driver's side of the trunk, and you'll see what I'm talking about.
[/b][/quote]
Great! thanks for your help. So I can buy a antenna and just use the new base and plug it in at the bottom? That way there is no need to pull all the old cable?
Old 04-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute

Yup just pick up a new antenna mast (aftermarket or oem) and a new antenna base. The old cable plugs into that base unit itself, and runs only a couple feet over into the radio control unit bolted to the driver's side wheel well. My local Pick N Pull has a 2000 Sable. You want me to grab it for you? PM me if you want to work something out.

--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
Old 04-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Unhappy

QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Apr 12 2009, 08:35 AM)
Quote:
Yup just pick up a new antenna mast (aftermarket or oem) and a new antenna base. The old cable plugs into that base unit itself, and runs only a couple feet over into the radio control unit bolted to the driver's side wheel well. My local Pick N Pull has a 2000 Sable. You want me to grab it for you? PM me if you want to work something out.[/b]
Is the plug going into the unit a Ford only type connection? It looks different than a standard looking antenna lead.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks for the help Bull...
Old 04-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

This is what the cable looks like that runs from the base in the body of the car to the RCU:

Former...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement