Antenna Replacement - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
My first post. I did a search and cannot find out how to replace the antenna. Mine is broken at the base. Is there a lead connector in the rear without going all the way to the radio? Can one be spliced? The trouble of going through the whole car seems to be a big task. I use mostly XM, but would still like to fix what is broken.

2000 Odyssey EX
1996 Acura GSR
1990 Itasca 27RT 454 TBI BBC
supra24valve is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Technical Advisor
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Blythewood, SC 29016
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Posts: 17,393
Rep Power: 101
     
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek
QUOTE (Itasca @ Apr 11 2009, 09:37 PM)
Quote:
My first post. I did a search and cannot find out how to replace the antenna. Mine is broken at the base. Is there a lead connector in the rear without going all the way to the radio? Can one be spliced? The trouble of going through the whole car seems to be a big task. I use mostly XM, but would still like to fix what is broken.[/b]
If your antenna broke at the base, all you need to do is pop off the antenna connection inside the trunk from the base unit itself. Then remove the nut and the screw that hold it onto the body. You'll also need to remove the 4 prong antenna nut that screws into the base (the chrome one embedded in the plastic). Harbor Freight sells the removal tool for around $5 IIRC. Wrap the 4 prongs (on the tool) with electrical tape to prevent scratching the chrome and surrounding black plastic up.

Just pull back the carpeting on the driver's side of the trunk, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

--Nick
-'66 Ford Country Squire wagon 390/C6
-'87 & '89 Mercury Colony Park wagons 302 EFI/AOD
-'90 Lincoln Town Car 302 EFI/AOD
-'03 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L/4R70W

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan, '00 Taurus SEL 3.0 24V
Bull Geek is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Apr 11 2009, 09:30 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (Itasca @ Apr 11 2009, 09:37 PM)
Quote:
My first post. I did a search and cannot find out how to replace the antenna. Mine is broken at the base. Is there a lead connector in the rear without going all the way to the radio? Can one be spliced? The trouble of going through the whole car seems to be a big task. I use mostly XM, but would still like to fix what is broken.[/b]
If your antenna broke at the base, all you need to do is pop off the antenna connection inside the trunk from the base unit itself. Then remove the nut and the screw that hold it onto the body. You'll also need to remove the 4 prong antenna nut that screws into the base (the chrome one embedded in the plastic). Harbor Freight sells the removal tool for around $5 IIRC. Wrap the 4 prongs (on the tool) with electrical tape to prevent scratching the chrome and surrounding black plastic up.

Just pull back the carpeting on the driver's side of the trunk, and you'll see what I'm talking about.
[/b][/quote]
Great! thanks for your help. So I can buy a antenna and just use the new base and plug it in at the bottom? That way there is no need to pull all the old cable?

2000 Odyssey EX
1996 Acura GSR
1990 Itasca 27RT 454 TBI BBC
supra24valve is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Technical Advisor
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Blythewood, SC 29016
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Posts: 17,393
Rep Power: 101
     
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek
Yup just pick up a new antenna mast (aftermarket or oem) and a new antenna base. The old cable plugs into that base unit itself, and runs only a couple feet over into the radio control unit bolted to the driver's side wheel well. My local Pick N Pull has a 2000 Sable. You want me to grab it for you? PM me if you want to work something out.

--Nick
-'66 Ford Country Squire wagon 390/C6
-'87 & '89 Mercury Colony Park wagons 302 EFI/AOD
-'90 Lincoln Town Car 302 EFI/AOD
-'03 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L/4R70W

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan, '00 Taurus SEL 3.0 24V
Bull Geek is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy

QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Apr 12 2009, 08:35 AM)
Quote:
Yup just pick up a new antenna mast (aftermarket or oem) and a new antenna base. The old cable plugs into that base unit itself, and runs only a couple feet over into the radio control unit bolted to the driver's side wheel well. My local Pick N Pull has a 2000 Sable. You want me to grab it for you? PM me if you want to work something out.[/b]
Is the plug going into the unit a Ford only type connection? It looks different than a standard looking antenna lead.

2000 Odyssey EX
1996 Acura GSR
1990 Itasca 27RT 454 TBI BBC
supra24valve is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
thanks for the help Bull...

2000 Odyssey EX
1996 Acura GSR
1990 Itasca 27RT 454 TBI BBC
supra24valve is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Technical Advisor
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Blythewood, SC 29016
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Posts: 17,393
Rep Power: 101
     
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek
This is what the cable looks like that runs from the base in the body of the car to the RCU:

--Nick
-'66 Ford Country Squire wagon 390/C6
-'87 & '89 Mercury Colony Park wagons 302 EFI/AOD
-'90 Lincoln Town Car 302 EFI/AOD
-'03 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L/4R70W

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan, '00 Taurus SEL 3.0 24V
Bull Geek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome