Alarm Randomly Going Off - Page 11 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2010, 04:56 PM   #101 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 6 reviews
Bull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Have you heard about the way to disable the alarm? All you have to do is ground out one of the pins from the connector that plugs into the GEM. There is no easy way for you to find out on your own to see if one of the door latch or lock cylinders is the culprit. Ford does have a computer they can hook up that will monitor activity on the car. It will spit out information about what sensor it is, but you will probably pay 1 hour diagnostic charge.
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | OHV/AOD | 180K ish?

Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member Number: 9819
Trader Score: 0 reviews
kjm-taurus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Yeah but even if I did the disable trick with the shorting a wire from the GEM system, would that take care of the door ajar ringing off 50 times a minute and then when parked leaving my interior dome light ON? I can live with just locking my door with the plunger and not the keyfob (to prevent the alarm going off), but I am more concerned with the door ajar issue running down my battery. As I mentioned in another thread I am basically removing my negative battery cable everytime I park my car which is a PITA.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #103 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Bull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud of

Ok I missed that part somehow I apologize. Crud man. If your interior lights are staying on, and the alarm is going off, that would definitely suggest that one of the switches has been damaged. More than likely its the driver door. Someone with a 2004 had the same issue as you and ended up replacing it.
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | OHV/AOD | 180K ish?

Former...
Old 09-03-2010, 02:08 AM   #104 (permalink)

Member Number: 30357
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2001 SEL and 2002 SEL
RonT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Resolution of Intermittent Alarm Problem with my 2001 Taurus SEL

Well the intermittent alarm problem with my 2001 Taurus SEL I reported has been resolved. I thought I would outline the troubleshooting process I went through. My problem was the alarm went off spontaneously. I previously had a problem where my “door ajar” dash light would occasionally stay on even with all doors closed.

First I took the car to the dealer and they scanned it and found some fault codes for the driver’s door sensor. They replaced the sensor and the car sat at the dealer for an entire day and no alarm. I picked up the car and was in the driveway for an hour and the alarm went off again. I left the car at the dealers at night over a weekend and brought it home during the day Saturday and Sunday. There were five events where the alarms went off. On Monday took the car back to the dealer and on their scan tool they saw no events. Did this two more times and still no events on the scan tool. Even the dealer said without just throwing parts at the car they were unable to diagnose this intermittent problem.

I next thought, since no events were registered, that it was the “panic button” on one of the key fobs that was spontaneously setting off the alarm. Removed the battery from both fobs and the alarm still went off. After playing with the alarm and setting it off by opening doors, hood and trunk. On the four doors the alarm logic can detect the difference between a door open or ajar when the alarm is set but the hood the trunk were not able to detect that they were open when the alarm was armed. If either was closed after the alarm was armed it worked properly.

Next I disconnected first the hood switch and the alarm still went off spontaneously. Then I disconnected the trunk sensor and that was it. From this experience I think the even the dealer’s scan tool cannot detect a problem with the trunk and probably the hood sensor.

To anyone with this problem I would first disconnect the hood and trunk sensors even before taking it to the dealer for a scan. I have left the trunk sensor disconnected.

I wanted to thank everyone who helped and particularly Bull Geek for their efforts.
RonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #105 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Hmm thats weird, I'm surprised the dealer's tool didn't detect the trunk. The Lincoln Mercury stealership I went to said their scan tool detected the trunk sensor. Oh well...different dealer different tool. Glad you got it fixed. I'm sure your neighbors are too

Former...
Old 09-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #106 (permalink)

Member Number: 9819
kjm-taurus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I will mention I disconnected the trunk and hood switch. The trunk switch was a bit corroded as there was a spot where my spoiler broke off where water got in I am sure. Even disconnected (the trunk is still disconnected as I didn't want to force the connector back on) the alrm still goes off randomly. Even manually locking the door with the plunger, the alarm can go off (I went into Home Depot tonight and by the time I weas walking to my car, it went off) which is why if I am away from my car for extended periods of time, I will disconnect the battery.

Another note I just noticed which may or may not be related, is if you turn the car off and pull the keys from the ignition, normally you can still open or close the windows. Now for some reason I am not able to do this. I have to turn the key to the ON position in order to close the windows once I turn the engine off.

For those that have had the door ajar issue, have you noticed you can hear a click right before the light and door ajar sound are triggered? Sounds like the click is either in the dash somewhere or in the driver door.

Last edited by kjm-taurus; 09-03-2010 at 10:10 PM.
kjm-taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #107 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

OK the second part of your post definitely suggests something is up with the door latch. Like you mentioned it is probably broken. Wish I knew a way to test for something like that. And you should have a 10 minute delay with windows, mooonroof, etc operational until door is opened.

Former...
Old 03-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #108 (permalink)

Member Number: 35381
Drives: 2003 Sel 24 DOHC
jfioravanti is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2003 taurus alarm goes off at random times

How do you disconnect the hood switch. I tried twisting it down, but no luck. I'm not sure this is the issue, but my wife's car has the alarm go off at random times. Thanks.
jfioravanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:02 AM   #109 (permalink)

Member Number: 30357
Drives: 2001 SEL and 2002 SEL
RonT is an unknown quantity at this point

jfioravanti

Well the hood switch located on the driver's side by the battery has the connector underneath the switch assembly. I was having trouble getting it disconnected so I removed the one bolt holding the switch to the fender and then pulling the connector off the switch was easy. While I had the switch disconnected I used electrical tape to cover the contacts on both the switch assembly and the harness connector. Good Luck
RonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:53 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member Number: 42849
Drives: 02' Taurus SEL 24V DOHC 3.0 Duratec V6. Black w/ Tan leather interior.
summerknight73 is an unknown quantity at this point

This seems to happen w/ alot of Ford products that have panic alarms. I had a 98' Mustang GT Convertible that would go off all the time no matter how you locked it. Now I have an 02' Taurus SEL that does it too. This is driving my wife & I crazy.It's kinda embarrassing. I work for Ford in a factory & you can go outside & hear alarms going off everywhere. LOL!! I'm gonna try some of these remedies on here & go from there before I go to a dealership.
summerknight73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement