Help! Battery Cable Replacement. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 1387
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1997 Ford Taurus GL 2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
firespirit has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to firespirit Send a message via MSN to firespirit Send a message via Yahoo to firespirit

I started working on the SHO today to start replacing the alternator when I saw that where the battery cables connect with the connector to secure it on the battery was bad. There are peices of cable wire poking out and they look rusted. I'm not sure if I should replace all the battery cables now, or if I should just replace the actual connector? I'm not sure how to go about replacing the battery cables (I'm sure its pretty straightforward though - find where the cables lead and replace).

I've been searching and it looks like most of you guys perfer a 4ga wire, is this correct? During the summer I would like to work on upgrading my '97's cables since the connector on that has been eaten through by a battery failure.

A friend of mine recently got a neat looking battery cable connector from Autozone where you dont need to use tools to take the connector off, just unscrew a handle and you can take it off, however I can't find it anywhere on their website.

Any help would be appreciated. (I'm sick of this cold weather... Both the 92 and 97 are still down and since its cold it's hell trying to get me out there to fix them!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0675.JPG (1.13 MB, 1194 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0674.JPG (1,016.8 KB, 810 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0673.JPG (1.18 MB, 817 views)
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 899
godspunk32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to godspunk32

Definitely replace those. You can make your own, but it's a pain in the ass with such heavy gauge wire. The Autozone replacements are cheap and are relatively plug and play.

On the Gen III (I would think the Gen I/II would be similar), there is one wire that runs from the positive battery post to the terminal on the end of the Megafuse box in the engine compartment. The wire that runs from the negative post simply goes to a couple of grounds. Replacing the wire is as simple as removing the old wire from the positive post, tracing it to where it goes (Megafuse), and unscrewing it from there. Find a similarly sized wire (I'd recommend 4 gauge for that short a run) at Autozone (if you're using pre-made cables) or Home Depot (if you're making your own) and replace it.

JR

godspunk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Send a message via AIM to firespirit Send a message via MSN to firespirit Send a message via Yahoo to firespirit

Quote:
Definitely replace those. You can make your own, but it's a pain in the ass with such heavy gauge wire. The Autozone replacements are cheap and are relatively plug and play.

JR
[/b]
Should I cut off the rusted peices of cable wire in the process and get some "fresh" peice from the cable?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Ok, so I just bought a new connector.. I guess that's the first step. A nifty little quick connect battery terminal I found at AZ for $5.99

Now the question still stands - should I clip off that rusted part of wire and get some "fresh" stuff in the new connector?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0677.JPG (1.56 MB, 721 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0678.JPG (1.35 MB, 755 views)
Old 01-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 11387
cheetoh69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

OK. I'm going to say that the cable is fine except for the ends. You should be able to cut the corroded part off and then expose some shiny new wire to feed into the new connectors. Hopefully there is enough slack in the cable to work with.

cheetoh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 34
Drives: 1992 Taurus SHO 3.2L MTX - Modded.
Racer X has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to Racer X

Ashley, rebuild the entire cable harness, trust me.

The harness runs from the battery directly to the starter. Pull the whole thing, open it up and separate and measure the two wires. Go to AutoZone, and by the 2ga replacements in the appropriate lengths, I got a 48" positive wire and a 56" negative wire for my car.

I wrapped the new 2ga AutoZone replacement cables in the factory loom, and wrapped it all up with grip tape. The positive wire was wrapped with red electrical tape. Compared to the factory wires, the 2ga are ginormous, but it'll get the job done.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Don't Be Stupid

Member Number: 4508
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2010 SEL 2000 Tec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
00tec-satx is on a distinguished road

Why would you need the 56" ground? I'd run it as short as possible (less than 12") and upgrade the other grounds. (Engine to ground, alt to ground)

00tec-satx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Quote:
Ashley, rebuild the entire cable harness, trust me.

The harness runs from the battery directly to the starter. Pull the whole thing, open it up and separate and measure the two wires. Go to AutoZone, and by the 2ga replacements in the appropriate lengths, I got a 48" positive wire and a 56" negative wire for my car.

I wrapped the new 2ga AutoZone replacement cables in the factory loom, and wrapped it all up with grip tape. The positive wire was wrapped with red electrical tape. Compared to the factory wires, the 2ga are ginormous, but it'll get the job done.

[/b]
Ok, so 2ga wire should be good then? I've never dealt with replacing cables, so bear with me here please. So both the negative and positive cables run in to the starter, located at the bottom of the engine then, right? Should I also upgrade the battery running to the alternator? I've seen on my G3 that the negative cable also runs to a "MegaAMP" box located on the front of the vehicle... I didn't pay attention on the SHO this afternoon, but does it run the same for the G2, and should I replace that as well? And one more question, while I'm thinking of it - how do I go about putting the terminals back onto the new cables? Do I need to crimp anything?
Old 01-10-2008, 08:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 11387
cheetoh69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The replacement cables should come with connectors already attached. Last time I checked.

cheetoh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Quote:
The replacement cables should come with connectors already attached. Last time I checked.
[/b]
Really? I was under the impression that if you get a certain length of cable, you need to put connectors on yourself. I suck at this wiring business
Advertisement