Cd Changer Install ? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 05:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 13249
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
elarnol has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm new here, so please forgive whatever you may presume to be newb ignorance...

I just recently purchased a 2000 Ford Taurus SE. I love the car and am an advocate for Ford vehicles.

However, I am a little disappointed that I do not have CD playing capability (come on now, who on earth uses a tape deck these days?).

So, I had been going around from store to store looking for CD changers (since I know my car would support one (and I don't care to get an aftermarket head unit; i.e. Pioneer, Sony, etc.). I went to Ultimate Electronics and they had a great deal on an eight disc changer made by Panasonic. However, the rep there told me that it can only be used if you have a Panasonic head unit in your car. This didn't make much sense to me, but I figured I would ask you guys what you thought about this.

Also, if it is possible to install these changers in your vehicle, how difficult would it be to do so? Is there any extra equipment that is necessary? Your advice is appreciated. Thanks.
elarnol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2007, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3540
thejcode has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to thejcode

Personally I dont care for them much, but you could get the universal changers that transmit through a FM station. Some broadcast to a station, others connect to the antenna directly. It basically connects between the antenna and the head unit. Super easy to do on these cars if the changer is in the trunk, which is most likely the case seeing as no where else to really put it

I had one of those for awhile and had it mounted to on the backside of my back seat. So I could fold down the seat and get to the changer and not get outta the car. Was the first thing I did to my car cuz i needed to listen to cd's.

Otherwise, have to get a head unit, and then get there (sometimes pricey) cd changers. I know pioneer sales a 30 disc changer.

I think your car has to have a indash cd player stock to have the controls for a changer, where you could go to a junkyard or ebay for a used factory changer.

So check aftermarket, online or local. Still have to tap power from somewhere and maybe a turn on lead and ground. All still easy to do.

Not to mention your at the right place to get help as your doing if need be. So on that note

Sold 1996 Sable GS; Dual Exhaust; Spoiler w/60led brake light; Glow Gauges; Fog/Driving combo lights; 150,000 miles on Friday the 13'th, July 2007.
New Ride as of Apr 4, 07: '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Every Option). If I wanted a hummer I would ask your sister (82k Miles as of July 08) Now her mom's.
New Ride as of July 20, 07: 1999 Contour SVT Mods: Pioneer P7800MP (75k Miles as of March 09)
New Ride as of July 23, 08: 2005 Audi A4 Quattro (53k Miles as of March 09)
New Ride as of April 24, 09: 2001 GMC Sonoma SLS X-Cab (153k Miles as of April 09)
thejcode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Without too much trouble, you can install a 2001-2003 Taurus/Sable indash CD player if you are not interested in hooking up a changer. You'll have to swap a few connections on the the back of the ICP (integrated control panel, has the hvac and stereo) but a few members on here have gotten that to work.

The radio control unit in the trunk has a plugin for a cd changer as well.

Quote:
I think your car has to have a indash cd player stock to have the controls for a changer, where you could go to a junkyard or ebay for a used factory changer.[/b]
Even models with Tape decks had the CD buttons on them. All you do is plug in the changer and hit CD on the ICP.

-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K - FOR SALE, See Thread: click

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2007, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3540
thejcode has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to thejcode

Hm, no kidding. Gotta love ford for leaving all the plugs there that belong to stuff on higher equipped models.

Sold 1996 Sable GS; Dual Exhaust; Spoiler w/60led brake light; Glow Gauges; Fog/Driving combo lights; 150,000 miles on Friday the 13'th, July 2007.
New Ride as of Apr 4, 07: '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Every Option). If I wanted a hummer I would ask your sister (82k Miles as of July 08) Now her mom's.
New Ride as of July 20, 07: 1999 Contour SVT Mods: Pioneer P7800MP (75k Miles as of March 09)
New Ride as of July 23, 08: 2005 Audi A4 Quattro (53k Miles as of March 09)
New Ride as of April 24, 09: 2001 GMC Sonoma SLS X-Cab (153k Miles as of April 09)
thejcode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 13249
elarnol has a little shameless behaviour in the past

So, what I'm getting is, the rep was right; there is no way to hook up an off brand changer to a factory system?
elarnol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2007, 01:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Don't Be Stupid

Member Number: 4508
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2010 SEL 2000 Tec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
00tec-satx is on a distinguished road

Check out Neochanger, if I remember correctly, a few members had them hooked up to the factory HU controls.

00tec-satx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 11538
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: None
three50one has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have a kenwood 10 disc i scored off ebay for $50 shipped(still retails for well over $150). Jackass thought it was jacked up and didnt tell me. One of the CD sleeves wouldnt go all the way into the slot...i just forced it out and it fit right into a different slot. I went to Crutchfield and bought an adapter harness for $106 shipped and I've been using the Kenwood for a good while. I dont know about Panasonic adapters but Id go on a search to see if there are any out there.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 6603
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: Taurus 99 LX, 3.0 Vulcan Taurus SHO 92
lucky13 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I'm new here, so please forgive whatever you may presume to be newb ignorance...

I just recently purchased a 2000 Ford Taurus SE. I love the car and am an advocate for Ford vehicles.

However, I am a little disappointed that I do not have CD playing capability (come on now, who on earth uses a tape deck these days?).

So, I had been going around from store to store looking for CD changers (since I know my car would support one (and I don't care to get an aftermarket head unit; i.e. Pioneer, Sony, etc.). I went to Ultimate Electronics and they had a great deal on an eight disc changer made by Panasonic. However, the rep there told me that it can only be used if you have a Panasonic head unit in your car. This didn't make much sense to me, but I figured I would ask you guys what you thought about this.

Also, if it is possible to install these changers in your vehicle, how difficult would it be to do so? Is there any extra equipment that is necessary? Your advice is appreciated. Thanks.
[/b]

If you want to add a cd changer ALL you have to do is get the factory unit either from Ebay, a private party or the J/Y (Junk Yard) . Make sure you get all the wires connections. If you have the premium RCU (Radio Control Unit) which will be the MACH ( check the trunk, behind the liner - left side) is PNP (plug 'n play). If you do not have the MACH unit ( it looks like an amplifier) then you need to split the wires. There is a thread about this process. Search is your friend. You have to split the wires for aftermarket and some aftermaket connection are available to connect the aftermarket units. I know best buys have some of those. CHeck the internet, I do not recall the sites. As stated before you can change your HU (head unit) for one with a CD player a process not to difficult for the average person.

This is a pic (picture) of a JBL RCU but the MACH is quite similar.

Lucky
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture_159__Medium_.jpg (63.6 KB, 3317 views)
Taurus SHO 1992 - AKA: Green
lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Don't Be Stupid

Member Number: 4508
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2010 SEL 2000 Tec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
00tec-satx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

If you want to add a cd changer ALL you have to do is get the factory unit either from Ebay, a private party or the J/Y (Junk Yard) . Make sure you get all the wires connections. If you have the premium RCU (Radio Control Unit) which will be the MACH ( check the trunk, behind the liner - left side) is PNP (plug 'n play). If you do not have the MACH unit ( it looks like an amplifier) then you need to split the wires. There is a thread about this process. Search is your friend. You have to split the wires for aftermarket and some aftermaket connection are available to connect the aftermarket units. I know best buys have some of those. CHeck the internet, I do not recall the sites. As stated before you can change your HU (head unit) for one with a CD player a process not to difficult to od for the average person.

This is a pic (picture) of a JBL RCU but the MACH is quite similar.

Lucky
[/b][/quote]

You don't need mach to install a cd changer

00tec-satx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2007, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 11643
lorsod has a little shameless behaviour in the past

That is true. I have a 2000 taurus and the stock RCU has the open connection on the far right bottom of the unit. I took the cd changer out of my wifes 2002 Zx2 and it worked great in the bull. Just had to make a bracket to hold it and found a wiring harness online for less than 50 bucks.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.