Amp And Sub Install To Factory Radio? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 9621
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Cory49 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hey everyone, I just bought a 2001 Ford Taurus Se, and have a few questions.

Firstly, I am wondering if I can install my amp and sub off the factory radio? I know it can be done, but is it safe for the amp and sub? I have heard it is possible to blow the amp and sub by doing this? The sub is some older 12" Bazooka (I'm planning to upgrade sometime this month), and the amp is a Planet Audio 300 Watt, 2 channel. Futureshop quoted $80-$100 for the install.

Secondly, I got a price quote from Futureshop for the mounting hardware to put an aftermarket deck in, and was shocked to hear that it would cost up to $300 to get it installed! I am wondering if they are being stupid, and try to rip me off? If thats the case, they're not getting my money.

Thanks in advance,

Cory

My Garage

View my Cardomain Page, and add me as a friend!
Cory49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2006, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 8575
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2004 SES Duratec
FinnSpeed has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hi!

There are lots of threads here discussing the installation of Metra or Scosche kits for aftermarket radio. I'm sure you can find them by a little searching/browsing.

Shortly: the main problem is the Taurus radio is divided in two parts of which the amp and radio (RCU) is in the trunk, display with buttons plus CD or cassette mechanism in dash. An aftermarket radio requires more wiring work than typically, that's why it tends to be more expensive.

Adding an amp plus sub is easy and safe if you know what you are doing. You only need to run power wires for the new amp and if the amp does not have high level inputs, you need a relatively cheap adapter that drops the speaker level to line level.

If you are after good sound quality, here's what I would do:
- replace all the factory speakers with two way systems, either component or integrated
- add a 4-channel amp for the new speakers. The factory radio only has 4x6W but it is otherwise decent (unless you want more bling ).
- add a separate amp + sub. The sub amp needs to have proper adjustable low pass filter for tuning the bass response. It does not hurt if the 4-channel amp has adjustable high pass filters to match the sub low pass.
- if you are really into tweaking the sound, add a parametric EQ or use amps that have those built in.

My car: 2005 Volvo V50 T5 M FWD. Premium Audio, Climate pack, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 summers, Nokian RSi Winters.
Wife's car: 2004 Taurus SES Duratec. Euro modded exterior lamps, Infinity 6812cf speakers all round, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 225/45ZR17 94W summers, Nokian RSi winters. SHO Bros km/h gauge faces coming.
FinnSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 7190
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: '91 SHO 3.2L
24vsable has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to 24vsable

Bascially all you need to do is have a high to low inverter put in to convert the speaker level into RCA's. I will never recommend doing a high level input on an amp...it is just a bad idea. For your cd player question, I have no idea, but be glad someplace even makes a kit for you.....

Good luck getting everything hooked up correctly
Andrew
77 320i
01 fukus
24vsable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by FinnSpeed@Sep 6 2006, 12:34 PM
Hi!

There are lots of threads here discussing the installation of Metra or Scosche kits for aftermarket radio. I'm sure you can find them by a little searching/browsing.

Shortly: the main problem is the Taurus radio is divided in two parts of which the amp and radio (RCU) is in the trunk, display with buttons plus CD or cassette mechanism in dash. An aftermarket radio requires more wiring work than typically, that's why it tends to be more expensive.

Adding an amp plus sub is easy and safe if you know what you are doing. You only need to run power wires for the new amp and if the amp does not have high level inputs, you need a relatively cheap adapter that drops the speaker level to line level.

- replace all the factory speakers with two way systems, either component or integrated
- add a 4-channel amp for the new speakers. The factory radio only has 4x6W but it is otherwise decent (unless you want more bling ).
- add a separate amp + sub. The sub amp needs to have proper adjustable low pass filter for tuning the bass response. It does not hurt if the 4-channel amp has adjustable high pass filters to match the sub low pass.
- if you are really into tweaking the sound, add a parametric EQ or use amps that have those built in.
Hey, I appeciate all the info you've given me. I have been searching high and low over this board to find my answer, but you've given me it with an excellent explanation, you pretty much answered my questions.

So pretty much, if I'm looking for a decent sound, I can keep my stock stereo, and upgrade the speakers (which I hope to do within the year, (college=money pit)) and add an amp and sub, which is good 'cause im switching everything over from my old Toyota.

You've given me enough info for me to start pricing everything out. Much appreciated!

Also, a question for "Finnspeed", just curious on your username, are you a Finlander? Or does it means completly something else?

-Cory

My Garage

Old 09-07-2006, 12:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes, you guessed right - I'm from Finland, living in Colorado right now.

That name I started to use when I found Volvo (Swedespeed) forums and figured out it was still unused. Sort of fitted to that forum well...

A small addition: If you happen to have a Mach audio in your Taurus (which I don't think because it is an SE), that one puts out some 4x20W and it probably is just enough if you add a sub (but you cannot add any sound processing like EQ's easily).

I have had good results with two sets of Infinity Reference 6810cs speakers (you can find them for less than $110 online). The bass drivers fit to the factory speaker locations and the tweeters are a relatively easy install.

Here's a thread about speaker locations with some images:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...opic=35923&st=0

Andrew, the high to low adapter is the same thing that is built into some amps that specify to have high level inputs. I think if you have a choice, it is more cost effective and easier (installation wise) to get such an amp. Connecting the basic Taurus radio to amp high level inputs is a no-brainer because the factory radio has single ended speaker outputs (the other speaker terminal is GND).

My car: 2005 Volvo V50 T5 M FWD. Premium Audio, Climate pack, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 summers, Nokian RSi Winters.
Wife's car: 2004 Taurus SES Duratec. Euro modded exterior lamps, Infinity 6812cf speakers all round, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 225/45ZR17 94W summers, Nokian RSi winters. SHO Bros km/h gauge faces coming.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the additional info!

I don't plan on making an expensive system, just something basic, and gives better bass. I think my plan now is to run my sub and amp off the factory deck, then upgrade my speakers. Eventually, the deck will be done, but WHEN is the question. I still have other things to worry about, like the tune-up, pay off college, and pay off the rest of this car. The info you've given me is perfect, and seems like my best options. Thanks for the help and the link! You've given me enough to work with.

-Cory

My Garage

Old 09-07-2006, 11:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 7190
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: '91 SHO 3.2L
24vsable has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to 24vsable

Quote:
Originally posted by FinnSpeed@Sep 7 2006, 12:05 PM
Andrew, the high to low adapter is the same thing that is built into some amps that specify to have high level inputs. I think if you have a choice, it is more cost effective and easier (installation wise) to get such an amp. Connecting the basic Taurus radio to amp high level inputs is a no-brainer because the factory radio has single ended speaker outputs (the other speaker terminal is GND).
Hmmmm, I tried it before with a power acoustic amp, but I am pretty sure that with the converter you can adjust the gains pre amp to make the system louder or quiter, mine is set on full quiet...lol
Andrew
77 320i
01 fukus
24vsable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Andrew,

You are right, the adapters/coverters usually have pretty handy level controls. But, also many of the amps have the same controls. Just be a bit careful when selecting an amp...

Old 11-05-2006, 11:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 10219
Earthsick has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally posted by FinnSpeed@Sep 6 2006, 12:34 PM
- add a 4-channel amp for the new speakers. The factory radio only has 4x6W but it is otherwise decent (unless you want more bling* ).
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but this is exactly what I am after. However, I'm not sure exactly how to distinguish the exact make of my oem sound system. It's a 2002 SES with the single CD player. Is this the 4x20w mach system? In the pinned speaker size thread it has gen 4 speakers listed as:

Gen 4 2000-2004

Front: 5x7/6x8
Rear: 5x7/6x8

I thought the front speaker was circular? If i'm mistaken, will the two pairs of 6x8's bolt directly into the front and back without modification?

A nice set of amped infinitis without having to change the stock head unit would be oh so nice. Eventually a sub. The stock system already sounds good...for stock

edit: also, are the speakers wired back to the trunk then, if it's a split design? that would make for an extremely clean amp install. would I need to replace the wiring to the speakers, or is it fairly beefy stock (hah, too much to hope for)
Earthsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement