Factory Amp Bypass? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 07:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 9322
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
beckSHO has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hello all, I just bought a 97 SHO about a month or two ago. I love the car, it has BALLS! I already put some flomaster 40 series on and it sounds amazing. What doesn't sound amazing, however, is the sound system. It isn't bad for a stock system, but isn't good enough. So, I am going to replace all of the speakers with some quality units. To power them, I will use a 4-channel amp. Now, here comes the kicker... I fried my factory amp! So, I don't get any sound to the speakers, but the radio still tunes in to stations, just no sound. Otherwise, I would have just used a line level convertor to hook up an amp. But now I can't do that. So, here is what I'm wondering, is there a way to completely bypass the factory amp? I mean completely take it out of the mix. I will be running new wire from my new 4-channel amp to the new speakers, so I won't need the factory speaker wiring. Can I toss all of it? If I cut the speaker leads that come out of the bigger black connector from the RCU, where will I get my signal from? I want to use an un-amplified signal. Is there a spot where I can get completely un-amp'd signal for my line level convertor? Pretty much, I want to get rid of the factory amp, and use an aftermarket 4-channel amp to power my aftermarket speakers. So please help me out fellahs (and ladies). Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2006, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 140
spridget has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to spridget

the factory amp is located in the trunk. You'll need to disconnect the "input plug", use an adpater to use line level inputs to your amp, then run your speaker wires to an adapter and plug that back into the "output plug" from the harness on the factory amp.

http://www.scosche.com/media/pdf/_079_096_harness.pdf

Check Scosche's catalog and contact their tech support to get the correct part number for your setup.
spridget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2006, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by spridget@Jul 31 2006, 06:28 PM
the factory amp is located in the trunk. You'll need to disconnect the "input plug", use an adpater to use line level inputs to your amp, then run your speaker wires to an adapter and plug that back into the "output plug" from the harness on the factory amp.

Check Scosche's catalog and contact their tech support to get the correct part number for your setup.
So no matter now I do it, I need to go through the factory amp? I fried mine, so it isn't in working condition. Is it possible to get signal to the speakers without getting a new one?
Old 07-31-2006, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 1296
93 sable has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to 93 sable

Quote:
Originally posted by beckSHO+Jul 31 2006, 06:31 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (beckSHO @ Jul 31 2006, 06:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-spridget@Jul 31 2006, 06:28 PM

So no matter now I do it, I need to go through the factory amp? I fried mine, so it isn't in working condition. Is it possible to get signal to the speakers without getting a new one? [/b][/quote]
If you want to bypass it then you have to install a new radio. The amp is technically called an RCU (Radio Control Unit). The (radio) in the dash is just the controls, the actual tuner and amp are built into one unit in the trunk.

If you have manual climate controls then it's easy to add a new radio. If you have electronic climate controls then you've got to use some creativity.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 93 Sable+Jul 31 2006, 06:44 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (93 Sable @ Jul 31 2006, 06:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by beckSHO@Jul 31 2006, 06:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-spridget
Quote:
@Jul 31 2006, 06:28 PM

So no matter now I do it, I need to go through the factory amp? I fried mine, so it isn't in working condition. Is it possible to get signal to the speakers without getting a new one?
If you want to bypass it then you have to install a new radio. The amp is technically called an RCU (Radio Control Unit). The (radio) in the dash is just the controls, the actual tuner and amp are built into one unit in the trunk.

If you have manual climate controls then it's easy to add a new radio. If you have electronic climate controls then you've got to use some creativity. [/b][/quote]
That's weak man, so I need another factory amp (RCU) before I can do anything... That is stupid, Ford did a great job designing this one....
Old 08-01-2006, 01:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 is an unknown quantity at this point

The factory amp is pretty good actually. You can put in some better speakers and add a sub woofer. No competition winner but plenty loud and clear.

But then I didn't short the outputs out and burn it up.
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2006, 08:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Aug 1 2006, 12:30 AM
The factory amp is pretty good actually. You can put in some better speakers and add a sub woofer. No competition winner but plenty loud and clear.

But then I didn't short the outputs out and burn it up.
Alright, well I guess I'm gonna have to find a new RCU. If you have one sitting around, send me a PM, I'd be interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.