Converting Manual Seats To Power Seats - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 02:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 5930
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
rogue has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Is it possible to convert my seats to power seats, usiny my same seats and just switching out the base of it? Would it be complicated for me to do; the most extensive thing I have ever done is changing my spark plugs and wires.

Another question is how much should a power seat cost if I were to buy one from like another member assuming it is possible to just use the base part if the seat.

One last question is how high is the seat when it is at its highest position, measuring from the floor in front of the seat to the top of the seat cushion? I am curious to know how much higher I would sit.
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 09:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3283
mooby has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to mooby

euu you can take any power seat from any car and any year

i just put in some 99 sable seat into my 94 bull and it was just plug and play for the front seat so just get some seat at a scrap yard and you will be fine and get the plug it still the same but some time you need to cut and replace

[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/moobypets/new%20front%20seat/DSCF1270.jpg' alt='' width='1209' height='907' class='attach' />

[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/moobypets/new%20front%20seat/DSCF1269.jpg' alt='' width='1209' height='907' class='attach' />

99 sable eclectric seat in a 94 bull
done so far discoball hid rear and front mustang gt caliper disk brake setup,moog ball joint tie rod end front and rear sway bar 24 26mm with moog blue bushing strutbar bushing 16" mag and yokohama aviz trz plus new engine and tranny on 15 jan 2006 plus new eibach coil and 07 front seat sho cluster led

mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Is it possible to just transfer the bottom part of the seat? I want to keep my seats if I can. How much did you pay for each seat?

Also, I see a plug under the seats with a wire only going to the one under the driver seat. Is that what the power seats plug right in to? Since it is only usually me in the car, I wouldn't bother with the passenger seat, just the drivers seat.

Does the power seat go a lot higher than the manual seat?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

it goes a bit higher but it goes lower too and far most in the front and back and they cost me 50 for both with console

and yes you can use onthe the track but ? never done it and not sure if it will fit properly

and for the plug one is the belt and the other is power may need to replace the power witht he one youre getting the seat from
done so far discoball hid rear and front mustang gt caliper disk brake setup,moog ball joint tie rod end front and rear sway bar 24 26mm with moog blue bushing strutbar bushing 16" mag and yokohama aviz trz plus new engine and tranny on 15 jan 2006 plus new eibach coil and 07 front seat sho cluster led

Old 05-09-2006, 01:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

From the top of the front of the cushion to the floor with the manual seat height is about 12 inches. How high is the power seat at its highest position?

Is the power plug I could just plug right in to?
[img]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/5855/driverside0pb.jpg' width='400' height='267.857142857' border='0' alt='Thumbnail - click on the image to get an original view' name='Thumbnail - click on the image to get an original view' class='attach' />
<font size='1'>Thumbnail - click</font>

This is the passenger side plug just sitting there with no power connected to it.
[img]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9162/passengerside2qd.jpg' width='400' height='267.857142857' border='0' alt='Thumbnail - click on the image to get an original view' name='Thumbnail - click on the image to get an original view' class='attach' />
<font size='1'>Thumbnail - click</font>
Old 05-09-2006, 05:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 4131
millermagic has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to millermagic

Are they wired on the passenger side too?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 6177
Gaspare has a little shameless behaviour in the past

in the first pic those are the two plugs you need. I guess they didnt use the same wiring harness in that trim model so the passenger side connecter isnt live.
Gaspare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

about 14 inch 15 maybe

Old 05-09-2006, 08:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 1296
93 sable has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to 93 sable

Have not touched Taurus seats but I've rebuilt a few Volvo seats before. I don't think you will be able to easily just swap out the manual mechanism for the power mechanism. If you want to keep your seats and go power then your only option will be to remove the foam and seat covers from both seats and transfer yours over to the power ones.

In my opinion the power seats go really high, my seat is as low as it goes, and it's still to high for me, I feel like I'm riding in a truck. I have to see what I can do about that.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Quote:
Originally posted by 93 Sable@May 9 2006, 09:50 AM
Have not touched Taurus seats but I've rebuilt a few Volvo seats before. I don't think you will be able to easily just swap out the manual mechanism for the power mechanism. If you want to keep your seats and go power then your only option will be to remove the foam and seat covers from both seats and transfer yours over to the power ones.

-True Blue MC 2003 Lincoln Town Car | V8 SOHC/4R70W | 55K
-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement