Replacement Key And Fob - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2005, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 1679
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
neilc88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Well, my wife starting carrying around my set and her set of the Taurus keys at the same time. She told me this way the baby could play with one set while in the store, and if she lost one, she'd have the other. Guess what, the plan worked!

So, I went to the local Home Depot and they made me a replacement key. It opened the door and started the car. But, the car only ran for a few seconds then shut off and the "theft" light came on. I put the original key in an everything worked fine. So, do I need to get a special key from Ford?

Also, I have a spare Ford fob with only the lock, unlock, and alarm buttons (no trunk). Could I program this fob to work with the Taurus? I was originally to be used with an Excursion.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2005, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 899
godspunk32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to godspunk32

You need to get a PATS key, which you can get off eBay. PATS stands for Passive Anti-Theft System, which basically means that there is a transponder chip in the key, and that chip must be programmed to interact with the PATS module. If you use a standard key (non-PATS), it will unlock the doors but won't start the car (not sure why yours started at all). Once you get the key, you can program it yourself, provided you have two pre-programmed PATS keys. If you only have one, you need to go to the dealer to have them program it. There's a procedure for programming the PATS keys (as long as you have two) somewhere on the forum, but I'll be damned it I can find it.

Here is a link to an auction for a PATS key, with the programming instructions included.

JR

godspunk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 1679
neilc88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thanks alot for the link and info.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 3020
Jeckler has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hasn't it been determined that if the car has PATS-I, you only need one good key in order to program more? I was under the impression that early 3rd's gen were this way.
'06 Other Brand
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 1181
SableOHC has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to SableOHC

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeckler@Nov 23 2005, 02:01 PM
Hasn't it been determined that if the car has PATS-I, you only need one good key in order to program more? I was under the impression that early 3rd's gen were this way.
Yes, for PATS-I you only need a single key.

Quote:
If you use a standard key (non-PATS), it will unlock the doors but won't start the car (not sure why yours started at all).
Strange as it seems, on PATS-I it starts, and then the system kills the engine. Here is some PATS information courtesy of the V8 SHO site.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 6492
sanjoh has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I just purchased a 2002 Ford Taurus Wagon and it only came with one main key and a copy that is only good for opening doors.

Today I asked the Ford dealer about getting another but he said I need two and would then need to have the car programmed.

Reading this thread it says if you have Pats 1 you only require one working key. How can you find out which one the vehicle has ?

Thanks
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Member Number: 4431
Robert L has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Robert L

Quote:
Originally posted by sanjoh@Nov 25 2005, 08:57 PM
I just purchased a 2002 Ford Taurus Wagon and it only came with one main key and a copy that is only good for opening doors.

Today I asked the Ford dealer about getting another but he said I need two and would then need to have the car programmed.

Reading this thread it says if you have Pats 1 you only require one working key. How can you find out which one the vehicle has ?

Thanks
You have a gen 4 taurus, you need two keys, the one you already have and one more. Then they can program both to operate properly.
Robert L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 6497
Chapstick4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hi, This is Chapstick4 from Ebay. I was checking out your site to see where the Hit's in my Ebay store were comeing from. Thanks for the free Plug. But as far as the Taurus goes it uses the Pat's 1 system on the 1996 and 1997 Models. The 1998 through 2006 Models all use the Pats 2-3 programing. I will list them both below for you. On the Pats 1 Models you can program keys even if you do not have a working key. Ofcourse you will have to have a key cut before you can program it. I answer all questions on keys in my ebay store at saveonkeys.com

Thanks,
John Chapman

PATS 1 Programming Procedure
Taurus 96-97
(WHEN NO OTHER WORKING KEY IS AVAILABLE)

1. Put the newly cut key into the keyway and turn it to the ON (RUN) position. A theft indicator light on the dashboard will flash for 15 minutes.

2. Within 5 minutes after the indicator light stops flashing, turn the ignition to OFF, then return to the ON (RUN) position. The indicator light again will flash for 15 minutes.

3. Again, within 5 minutes after the indicator light stops flashing, turn the ignition to OFF, then ruturn to the ON (RUN) position. The indicator light again will flash for 15 minutes.

When the light stops flashing for the third time, the new key is programmed into the computer and will start the car. All previously stored codes will be erased. To stop the process at any time, simply remove the key and use an existion key to start the car.

(FOR CARS WHERE YOU WANT TO JUST CREATE A SPARE KEY)
1. Place an already programmed key in the keyway. Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON(RUN) to OFF.

2. Within 15 seconds, insert the new properly cut PATS key in the ignition. Turn the key to ON(RUN) or START. The theft indicator light will go on for two seconds, after which the key will start the vehicle.

3. Repeat the second step for each new key to be programmed.

4. If the light flashes for 15 minutes, too much time elapsed between cycling of the already programmed key and the new key. If this happens, simply start over. If the light flashes for 1 minute, the new key is defective or is not a PATS key. Start again with a different key. To stop the process at any time, simply remove the key and use the pre-existing key to start the car.

5. To remove any key code from the system, erase all stored codes using the programming mode and re-enter the desired spare keys.

PATS 2 And 3 Programming Procedure
Taurus 98-2006

1. Place first already programmed key in the keyway. Turn the ignition from OFF to ON(RUN) for at least 1 second and then switch to OFF.

2. Within 5 seconds, insert the second already programmed key in the keyway. Turn the ignition from OFF to ON(RUN) for at least 1 second and then switch to OFF.

3. Within 10 seconds of turning the ignition lock cylinder to OFF, insert the new key into the keyway. Turn the ignition from OFF to ON(RUN) for at least 1 second and then switch to OFF.

The theft indicator light should go on for three seconds, after which the key will start the vehicle. Repeat this process, from the beginning, for each new key to be programmed.
Chapstick4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement