Passenger Side Vent Removal And Creak Fix - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Passenger Side Vent Removal And Creak Fix

One thing that bothers me when it comes to cars is interior creaks and rattles. When I acquired my 2005 Taurus, the passenger side vent assembly would make a creaking noise from time to time, even when driving on a flat freshly paved road. Now I consider an occasional creak when going over bumps or traveling on a rough road to be normal, but the ticking from the vent was too much to stand. Here's a solution I found that finally silenced that ticking noise as well as an alternate for removing the passenger vent, (without removing the barrel first).

Note: Both removal and the creak fix are for the Gen 4 Taurus.

Tools needed:

• Felt tape or a sheet of light-duty felt adhesive
  • A small flat blade screwdriver with a long thin neck
  • A medium sided flat blade screwdriver
Removal:
Removing the passenger side vent from the dash is the part that is time consuming and frustrating. The Ford service manual says to carefully pry the vent barrel out on the left side. Well, there is no way to pry the barrel out without scuffing or damaging the plastic, but I found another approach. Open the glove box and insert a long flat-blade screwdriver behind the dash up towards the vent assembly. This will allow you to gain access to the two bottom tabs. Use the screwdriver to "feel" for and disengage the tabs. After disengaging the bottom tabs, tilt the barrel down as far as it can go and insert a small flat-blade screwdriver though the vent to release the top two tabs. You will need some patience with this and I also recommend that you start with the top left tab. You probably will scuff the tabs up a little bit, but no one will see them anyway. Once you disengaged the last tab, carefully pull the vent assembly out.

The Creak Fix:
For this step, remove the vent door located inside the assembly. On the opposite side of the thumb wheel, push the barrel out with your thumb.
Insert the door back into the vent assembly, making sure the door operates correctly with the thumb wheel.

So you ask; "What does removing the barrel have to do with creaks?" You'll find out why under the installation step.

On the back of the face plate, you will notice several pressure points. Cut a thin piece of felt tape or felt adhesive and apply it to the back of each pressure point.

Installation:
Simply slide the assembly back into the dash until all the tabs engage.

If you performed the creak fix, a little extra force might be required to engage the tabs.
Do not reinstall the barrel just yet! Drive the car for a few days and verify that the vent no longer makes noise and is to your liking. That way, if you need to make further adjustments, you can easily release the tabs without the barrel being in your way. When you are satisfied with the results, reinstall the barrel by inserting the right side in first and then by firmly pressing on the left side until it clicks in.

(Revised post. Original post: Creaking Passenger Side Vent - A Solution)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Taurus SE
Vulcan OHV Engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Wrong Category!

Ah crud! Just realized that I posted this in the wrong category. It should be located in Aesthetics, Interior, Wheels and Tires. The ice cream I just ate must have gave me brain freeze!

Can an administrator move this for me?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Taurus SE
Vulcan OHV Engine
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 10:57 PM
I'll Be Watching You!

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 2 reviews
Done

John
2001 Sable LS Premium Wagon Duratec, 193K miles and kicking, 99 Durango 318, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page